5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely effective relaxation technique
A few years back I had to undergo a course of speech therapy, and as part of that realised just how much physical impact a stressful lifestyle can have. Relaxation techniques are therefore critical, and a variety of techniques keeps them effective.

Published on 14 Jan. 2012 by The Dunelmian

3.0 out of 5 stars its ok
I have a lot of this genre and have to say I dont listen to this one very often. I find it a bit irritating in places with odd, sharp notes coming through here and there. ok as background but I dont like it for relaxation.
Published on 14 Jan. 2012 by Katzie

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely effective relaxation technique, 14 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Desert Island - A Guided Meditation for Relaxation (MP3 Download)

I listened to the sample clip and read reviews of plenty of variations on the theme of guided meditations and this one appealed most. Perhaps it was because the setting - a warm sandy beach - sounded the perfect place to transport my mind in order to feel relaxed.

The lady's voice is calm and soothing, the music is not too "new worldy", and the balance between speaking and background music/sounds is about right. The 20 minutes duration is just perfect for a lunchtime chill in the office, or calming down in the evening before going to bed.

My personal view is that you have to be lying down, with this either playing through headphones or with no other background noise, in order to benefit fully. Approach this with an open mind and do not take it all too seriously.

As one of the other reviews mentions, there is one brief corny moment when the unconditional love of dolphins is mentioned, but by that stage you should be so relaxed that the moment passes quickly and there are no other sounds which are out of context.

If you're curious or tempted to try guided meditation, then this is well worth a go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Desert Island charm ., 19 Feb. 2009
A great bit of guided meditation/relaxation that really works to calm and relax - sent me to sleep the first time . Does what it says on the tin and cost 79p (approx 20 mins long). Effective fun !

4.0 out of 5 stars it works!, 3 Jun. 2013
I am finding it difficult to find readings (esp with a non-distracting English, rather than US or other accent). There are plenty of relaxing music downloads but few with a guided relaxation journey (other than relax your jaw, relax your legs etc). However, I find it very effective to be taken on a journey (eg along a path in a garden, here by the sea) to make me deeply relax. I am seeing a hypnotherapist for 3 or 4 sessions and am practising how to take myself to deep relaxation.

I don't find the dolphin scenario or the shell's tune overly strange - I'm opening my mind up to things by entering the hypnosis arena anyway. I might not want to read books about such airy fairy fantasy but they are only small parts of the download and I find help rather than hinder or distract from going further into deep relaxation.

I would really like to find more of this genre if anyone could suggest any - not sure how that happens via Amazon reviews, I suspect I'm not allowed to put personal contact details.

I could do with a bit more time at the beginning of the track for breathing/initial relaxation prior to the beach journey starting. However, with practice this is becoming easier anyway. I listen to it at the beginning and end of the day, in bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and very relaxing, 8 Feb. 2009
A soft voice guides you through a beautiful soundscape which includes ocean waves, crackling beach fires and enchanting music. An incredible bargain at the price, and perfect for relaxing to and falling asleep.

3.0 out of 5 stars its ok, 14 Jan. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY, 1 Mar. 2014
I didn't want to leave my Desert Island, can't wait to go back there again. I loved it all, especially the ' twaddle about unconditional love from dolphins'. Felt quite spiritual to me. Very, very relaxed and happy now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointing, 27 Sept. 2011
Deruwa (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I liked this all the way up to the Shell Song which I found jarring and not at all relaxing, and was also a bit put off by the twaddle about unconditional love from dolphins. The rest was nice and soothing though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 13 Nov. 2012
This was my first guided meditation and I am impressed. The voice on it is calming and not blatantly American or fake like others I came across. It is simple and easy to follow. Would reccommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great for meditation, 1 Oct. 2012
Really calming and enjoyable to meditate to, worth every penny. Shame i couldnt find it on CD, voice helps to guide you through the relaxing process.

3.0 out of 5 stars voice too quiet, 20 May 2013
The guiding guidingvoice is often too quiet, it gets drowned in lovely relaxing music. This is a pity, good to relax but not optimal for meditation.