4.0 out of 5 stars Worth getting into
Didn't know what to expect when buying this, but I'm glad I did. They have a really unique, immediately likeable sound. It's a strange mix of 80s pop, indie and synth stuff, and can get a little samey, but the songs each have their own blend of magic and it's really interesting to listen to.

It's a must buy.
END OF LINE
Published on 15 Mar 2009 by S. J. O'Leary

3.0 out of 5 stars Sure to be big in 2009 - but try before you buy
Published on 3 Feb 2009 by Steven A. Wall

3.0 out of 5 stars Sure to be big in 2009 - but try before you buy, 3 Feb 2009
Steven A. Wall "stevenwall2k2" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking On A Dream (Audio CD)
I bought this album last year on import after being captivated by the video for "walking on a dream" and so have been listening to it for a couple of months now. I think Empire of the Sun will be to 2009 what MGMT were to 2008. This quirky Australian duo draw from a wide template of influences, mainly pop, electronic, and 80s soft-rock. They are already on many people's radar due to placing 4th in the BBCs "Sound of 2009", along with their spectacular concept videos for "Walking on a dream" and "We are the people" doing the rounds on internet. They are bound to be the darlings of the hipster music magazines and I predict that the aforementioned singles will be the sound-track to this summer. However, like MGMT, while the album has a handful of absolute top-drawer potential singles (the latter two, plus "Half Mast" and "Standing on the shore"), which will probably be the catchiest thing you will here all year, overall I would say the album is of patchy quality. "Country" is a nice chilled out instrumental, and "Swordfish Hotkiss night" raises the bar slightly again with its take on Prince styled funk, but there really is nothing else on offer of the quality of the first 4 tracks. My recommendation is to download the first 4 songs, but make sure you check out the rest prior to purchasing. Empire of the Sun are sure to be huge in 2009, and as artists with a fantastic vision, art direction, and potential mega hit singles they deserve it, but the album just isn't the world beater I was hoping for.

3.5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth getting into, 15 Mar 2009
S. J. O'Leary (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews

It's a must buy.
END OF LINE

5.0 out of 5 stars its a hit, 18 Mar 2009
Mrs. S. Mather "parkhills" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking On A Dream (Audio CD)
Id been listening to this album online and a family member downloaded it for me ..~I enjoyed it so much i finally decided to have a copy for the car.Then i can play it for other friends who may in turn like it.
I find this album very good in fact excellant and a change from the british groups as they come from Australia. I recommend to everyone.
Its a hit with my family and me so give it a whirl..

4.0 out of 5 stars Walking on a Dream - Empire of the Sun, 29 Mar 2009
K. Brett (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking On A Dream (Audio CD)
This is a totally different sound and takes a few listens to get into the album. The first 4 tracks are by far the best. The single 'Walking on a Dream' is fantastic and I don't get tired of listening to it. Their latest single 'We are the People' is a real sing-along tune. The rest of the album has some rather quirky tracks but give it a chance and you will come to enjoy it. In any case, I love the album on the strength of the first four tracks alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Singles overshadow an Average Album, 29 Jan 2011
G. Byrne "Rob byrne" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking On A Dream (Audio CD)
The majority of those who buy the experimental duo's Walking on A Dream album will buy it solely for the albums excellent array of singles. The album overall is reminiscent of MGMT's recent offerings. The opener "Standing on the Shore", has a dreamy summer vibe, which is a common theme carried through the rest of the album which is carried of successfully due to Steel's unique voice. The second track "Walking on a Dream", needs no introduction, with its oddball chorus and rich vocals. "Delta Bay", is a true oddity with its schizophrenic indulgence while "We are the People, is a true synth pop great, with a true enigmatic quality. The instrumental, "Country" seems out of place and too sedate for such a theatrical album. Things go further downhill with the dull and indulgent "The World", before everything is saved by by the experimental, bizarre but strangely appealing hip hop/funk song "Swordfish Hotkiss Nights". The album's curtain call "Without You", a downbeat, but likable end to a true roller coaster album. So much of it achieves greatness but the poorer tracks fail to make it a cohesive debut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing!, 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: Walking On A Dream (Audio CD)
I got hooked on Empire Of The Sun due to a Vodafone ad here in Germany at the end of 2010 which used the track We Are The People. This led me to look these guys up on You Tube and I liked what I heard so much, I just had to buy the album.

What to say? Eclectic mix of 70s/80s/folky/country/otherworldly sounds that, at times, pull right at the heartstrings. The first four tracks really stand out as being the best of what is all round a wonderfully written, performed and produced piece of work. This is going to be on the loop in the CD player for quite a long time in my house.

4.0 out of 5 stars gaudy, energetic and fabulous, 24 May 2009
This review is from: Walking On A Dream (Audio CD)
Walking on a Dream is a flambouyant and high spirited blend of gaudy multi-layred stream of consciousness lyrics, a little snip of prog ('Delta Bay' especially reminds me of Yes's 'Going for the One') a generous shake of '80s style synths and drums and a whole big dollop of sheer joyous fun.

The whole album is full of driving energy, and playfulness; from the anthemic strains of the singles ('Walking on a Dream' and 'We are the People' - the latter my particular favourite) interspersed with the really funky ('Swordfish Hotkiss Night')the dreamy (the instrumental 'Country')to the hugely melodic,and rhythmic ('Standing on the Shore') all informed by the elided drawl of Luke Steele's supple voice which I really like.

In many ways, this album also reminds me of Kate Bush's 'The Dreaming' (another 80s reference!)- really pounding rythms, a lot of sweetness and melody and a total committment it's own vision - which may not always confrom to what the prevailing wisdom is. Not everything on the album is as instantly accessible as the singles. But surrender to the sheer energetic joy of it, don't be too serious. You'll have a great time.

4.0 out of 5 stars it's different!, 15 May 2009
This review is from: Walking On A Dream (Audio CD)
Racing towards 50 years old, I'm listening to Empire of the Sun and my 19 year old daughter is into Bowie, Queen and Alex Harvey! Those were my musical tastes at her age, so I told her that she'd grow into Empire of the Sun. I have listened to this constantly since I bought it, and have grown to like each track bar one, so I reckon that is good value for money. This is as different to chart music as Alex Harvey was from Sweet and Mud etc in the 70's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 April 2009
This review is from: Walking On A Dream (Audio CD)
I love every song (apart from one, Delta Bay)on this CD. It's very cleverly produced and the songs just stay in your head, especially We Are The People.

4.0 out of 5 stars Walking on a dream still, 19 Mar 2009
V. Dabell "Nessynoo" (Derby, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking On A Dream (Audio CD)
Have had it for a month and still listen to it daily. Totally dig the eighties vibe and crazy voice and sing along even when its just in my head.

Walking On A Dream