Top critical review
14 people found this helpful
Dollar store Disney
on 9 March 2009
Short Attention Span Summary (SASS):
1. Underachieving youngster suffers peer and parent pressure
2. He chooses to go fish
3. Magic gourd serves up a fish fly
4. Confucius say: Hasty wishes taken literally make for velly big trouble.
5. Boy learns valuable lesson
1. A story illustrating that having your every wish fulfilled for you isn't as good as it sounds.
2. Decent entertainment for kids from 5 years to 9 years
1. Kung Fu movie style mismatched voice dubbing
2. Less than stellar acting
1. That weird and freaky pop-eyed gourd
2. The fade to black screen transitions from one scene to the next
Although quite acceptable for the target market of primary school kids (my son has watched it twice in a row) it doesn't come close to being a Disney classic. Not that it's a terrible movie (I've seen worse) but be warned that even though it says Disney on the package and opening credits, it's the discount import version.
Recommended as a rental for a family evening if you have younger kids, or if you're young enough to know who Corbin Bleu is.*
*He's the voice of the magic gourd in this movie, and one of the stars of the High School Musical franchise.