4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely chilling
I say this is a good movie. There are some truly twisted moments in the film without it ever getting too crazy with special effects (in the demonic sense) to be taken seriously. Unfortunately, this film has received a lot of flak because it seems the horror genre's audience these days is extremely demanding, harsh and critical.

And yet, this film is miles above...
Published 19 months ago by Griesmayer

2.0 out of 5 stars Miss-carried, cliched and poor
Published on 11 Feb 2011 by T. BROOKES

2.0 out of 5 stars Miss-carried, cliched and poor, 11 Feb 2011
T. BROOKES "Brookey" (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unborn [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
A film with a promising line-up, idea and effects, but nothing ground breaking here, being all too clichéd for horror fans. Unborn has some shortly visited dark moments, but fails to pass any expected thriller paths, sticking to winning formulas rather than being imaginative. I also think it is hindered in it's own goals, such as it being a PG-13 rating and the next scare is never that scary. The movie's plot is a mash-up of folklore and for me, loses its way late on (possessions), never surpassing a disappointing average horror thriller title. However, most teens and gore-haters will probably find this a non-taxing, relatively entertaining light watch. The critics have described this as 'laughable' and I think that is fair. The trailer does look great but this is simply the highlights of effects deployed.

The film include Idris Elba (the Wire) and Gary Oldman. The film is from the producers of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and from one Dark Knight writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely chilling, 10 Feb 2013
Griesmayer (Wien, Österreich) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unborn [DVD] [2009] (DVD)

And yet, this film is miles above ANY of the Paranormal Activity sequels, for example. I have watched the latter and near bored myself to death. Yet the Paranormal Activity films receive a higher rating (e.g. on Rotten Tomatoes) than this film? This is exactly what doesn't make sense. Thus, four well deserved stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very jumpy first time round, 3 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Unborn [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
A great film which has jumpy parts in unexpected places making them more effective, storyline is also good and an unborn 2 would be a definite buy for me

1.0 out of 5 stars Lacking, 14 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Unborn [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I think the main word that springs to mind for me is "Lacking". Lacking suspense, lacking plot depth, lacking appeal. I absolutely adore horror films of any type but I just can't bring myself to call it a horror. I should've listened to myself when I saw the trailers in the cinema and thought to myself "...................Nah". Unfortunately I listened to a friend who told me how great it was.

Classic interesting beginning with the strangeness followed by abrupt normality but I just didn't feel that the plot flowed, or even went anywhere. It was theoretically a good idea but the delivery was sadly, lacking. I was initially intrigued to see Cam Giganet in something new (bearing in mind the last time I saw him in anything he was being ripped to pieces in a ballet studio) and I really don't think I can fault the acting. They did the best they could with what they had.

I note some people have referred to this as an intelligent horror, one where you have to pay attention and think. I can safely say I did pay attention. I did notice that the ghost is NOT supposed to be that of her dead twin brother. I got the plot, I just wasn't entertained by it. Better than Dracula and Frankenstein??? That's a new one!?!

Bottom line is I can't recommend seeing this. It was just too much of a "miss" for me. My advice would be to give it a miss, if you're remotely curious then my next suggestion would be to watch the menu screen - you see everything there. If you do decide to watch it then don't be surprised to find a few "I told you so"'s.

I sincerely hope there isn't a sequel.

1.0 out of 5 stars The only thing that should have been unborn is this weedy horror film., 30 Dec 2009
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Unborn [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Guess What ? The Unborn is horror film in which the main protagonist is an extremely photogenic middle class young woman ( who is usually clad only in clinging singlet and briefs when things happen ) who is plagued by visions that usually involve a creepy young child and learns that it's something to do with a dead twin and demons and lots of stuff that involve screaming and running and hanging round in eerie old buildings. The only remotely surprising thing about it is that it isn't ripped off from a superior Asian film. No this time the Yanks have made a duff horror film entirely on their own . Well done them.
Our mandatory nubile heroine is Casey (Odette Yustman), a college student who lives in a massive house with her strangely absent father(James Remar ) who she gets to see by visiting him at work .Her mother went loopy and killed herself a few years ago. Now Casey is plagued by bizarre dreams and visions, which of course must include the aforementioned creepy little boy. She learns fairly soon ( through a change in eye colour of all things ) that she had a twin brother who died in the womb, then contacts an old Holocaust survivor (Jane Alexander) whom her mother spoke to just before she died and learns that a demon is after her and she must smash all mirrors( the seven years bad luck seems trivial in light of other events I presume ) and consult a priest and have an exorcism and don't forget her five a day .No... I made that last bit up but still ,it's good advice ,though whether it helps fight demons I cannot say.
The Unborn" was written and directed by David S. Goyer[ wrote [ASIN:B000ARB0Z2 Batman Begins - 1 Disc Edition [DVD] [2005]]] who seems to have taken the approach that utilising every horror cliché in the book is the way to go. I half expected a zombie , Dracula ,Frankenstein's monster and the Wolfman to make an appearance but they didn't .Which is a pity as they would have livened things up .
There is no tension , no atmosphere built up and most definitely no scares though it did make me jump in one sequence but I resented even that as it was achieved by such rote methodology. The basic premise of a nasty demon stalking ( rather than just a haunting ) is fine but The Unborn blows it with a weedy screenplay and an over reliance on visual pandemonium.
Earlier in the review I stated that the only surprising thing about The Unborn is that it isn't a remake of a better Asian film and that is still unexpected . But what is also surprising is how actors of the calibre of Gary Oldman and Idris Elba came to be involved in this tripe. Their involvement is far more shocking than anything that occurs in the actual film. I,ts a poor , poor effort. The only thing that should have been unborn is The Unborn itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars another must see, 27 July 2014
This review is from: The Unborn [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
a girl wanting to know why she is having horrifying nightmares and needs to know why her mother hung herself goes in search of answers to find she was a twin and the ghost of her twin in limbo is looking for a life to be reborn and has chosen her,after speaking to a woman in a care home she is told of the twin that she had and the experiments a german officer used to do on them,you ant scary more so you girls this is another must see ,great

3.0 out of 5 stars The Unborn, 19 May 2014
This review is from: The Unborn [Blu-ray][Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Not as scary as I thought, it has moments but its nothing special. I have seen the kid in other movies and he always seems to play evil or creepy characters. Some good effects in the film too.

5.0 out of 5 stars the unborn, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Unborn [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
very good movie was actually surprised really quite spooky to start with and in general pretty good movie along lines of sinister and incidious, i personally enjoyed this movie and any horror fan worth his/ her salt im sure will do too. good buy. allso arrived really quick with the company i used. as always.

2.0 out of 5 stars Average, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Unborn [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Nothing particularly outstanding in this film. The plot is boring as are the characters. It's predictable and mostly pretty dull.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poop, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Unborn [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Another poorly written, unloved, churned out addition to the modern horror dump-pile. We need a hero to return! One who will revive the genre!

The Unborn [Blu-ray][Region Free]
The Unborn [Blu-ray][Region Free] by David S. Goyer (Blu-ray - 2009)