5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, well thought-out (or tested) of course!
I bought this book as it appeared to focus more on the testing angle of 'AGILE' software development rather than the developers, and I have enjoyed reading this immensely.
Published on 21 Aug 2009 by Fiona Reavley

1.0 out of 5 stars Must be some sort of joke
Approx 500 dense pages to explain Agile Testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This book could have been reduced to less than 100 pages but hey they must justify the ridiculous price tag. I buy a lot of books on IT and Financial Services and this is without doubt the worst.
Published 24 months ago by S. S. Rai

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, well thought-out (or tested) of course!, 21 Aug 2009
Not only have the authors laid the book out well, and have made it very readable, they have garnished the chapters with mind-maps and therefore made it very easy to find and review sections you want to read again.
The two authors clearly have had plenty of experience in the AGILE development environment, both on 'disorganised' and 'organised' teams, and are keen to promote how to turn a newbie agile team into an effective one, stressing the collaborative nature for AGILE. Lots of examples from their own experience and from other AGILE practitioners demonstrate the pitfalls and improvements which can be made by thinking about the points made in the book.
As a tester, I found this book very useful in describing how and where testers fit into the process, and how specialist testers can work to enhance things too, especially where views of testing have previously been that "it's done at the end", or that "anyone can test", or that "we'll let the testers know about the development work when (we consider) they need to".
I would recommend this book both to software developers, and to testers, as it can teach everyone a lot about how to get everyone focused on the right goals, improving quality, and meeting customer expectations, and keeping the so-called 'technical debt' of difficult-to-maintain code at bay. The more it's done from the word go, the easier it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, long overdue, 23 Feb 2009
Gojko Adzic (London) - See all my reviews
The main theme of this book is fitting testing tasks into agile projects, and as such this book really is long overdue. Most agile books are written by programmers for programmers, leaving testers in particular to fend for themselves. No wonder why so many of them feel lost in this world. This book definitely delivers on the promise to ease the transition for testers and QA engineers who suddenly found themselves on an agile project. It has a testing focus and presents things in a way that testers, coming from more traditional process oriented software projects, should understand. The key pillars of practice on which the content of this book stands are improved communication, the whole team approach, agile testing quadrants and automation, so the book efficiently points traditional testers to new knowledge and ideas that they need to focus on to contribute to an agile project. It also provides a solid framework for executing traditional testing tasks in an agile environment without lagging behind the development and causing the project to fall into the "mini-waterfall" trap.

I would also recommend it to project managers and team leaders as they will be able to see the project from the testers' eyes and complement their knowledge about quality on agile projects. As such, it is especially an important reading for teams that consider JUnit the extent of their "testing" process. The book raises valid concerns about commonly overlooked tasks such as test planning, security, performance and usability testing, documentation testing and provides some very practical advice how to plan and execute exploratory testing efficiently.

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended book on agile testing course, 3 May 2011
Just went on the Certified Agile Tester course (CAT)in London - which was absolutely great - despite the fact I have been using agile for a while. The course recommends Lisa Crispin's book and I nearly didn't buy it as I have so many books on agile already. I'm so glad I did as it is complete, comprehensive and yet easy to read and dip into. I would recommend any tester to learn more about agile testing - its definitely the way of the future

5.0 out of 5 stars Very valuable resource for every people involved in software testing, 15 May 2009
Some authors are good at presenting theories but unable to connect them to practice. Other are good at telling stories from the trenches, but without being able to produce an analysis of the situation and propose some solutions. On the less examined domain of agile testing, Lisa Crispin and Janet Gregory are, luckily for us, presenting a book that covers both the personal experience of being a tester in agile projects and a conceptual vision of the place of quality assurance in software projects. Thus you will find in this book "stories" that comes from past projects and "mind maps" that helps to have a high-level vision of the material of each chapter.

The book offers resource to organize the quality assurance and testing activities in an agile project. It explains also the relationship between test automation and agility. It provides also a part dedicated to the chronicle of the agile testing activities during project life, showing how every member of the team could contribute to quality.

I think however that the more interesting contribution of the book is Testing Quadrants. This concept classifies testing activities depending on their focus (technology or business) and their intent (supporting the team or validating the product). Adding an agile perspective to the original work of Brian Marick, the authors provide resources and examples for each quadrant to make sure that you will cover all the aspects of testing for your project.

This book is certainly a very valuable resource for every people involved in software testing, even if this is not in an agile project. It will also be valuable for ScrumMasters and project managers that have to think on how to integrate the testing activities in their projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well structured, concise guide to a tricky topic, 6 Oct 2011
R. Gilmartin - See all my reviews
Well written, very clear style, well structured, clear language, many practical examples. I didn't necessarily like a lot of the things I was reading about Agile, but this book is a great introduction from a tester's viewpoint and gave me a good grounding from which to point out the 'fragile' implementations in my place of work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and thought out book, 7 Jun 2014
L Weale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams (Addison-Wesley Signature Series (Cohn)) (Kindle Edition)
I found Lisa Crispin's and Janet Gregory's book on agile testing very enlightening and thought provoking. I haven't worked in a fully agile environment myself but I am aware of the challenges of developing (programming and testing) in sprints. On the whole I thought this book added to my knowledge and if you are thinking about changing methodologies or trying to improve your agile test processes I'm sure this book would give you something to think about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 22 Mar 2014
Really helped us to work towards resolving the problems we were experiencing as a test team moving to Agile for the first time

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, 26 July 2013
This is on my "required reading" list for everyone involved in an Agile team. Even if you are not a tester you should red this book. Like all the best Agile books, it is written by someone who has been through a painful experience and wants to spare you the pain of their errors! The diagram of the Testing Quadrants alone is worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable read when approaching Agile test methodologies, 3 July 2011
I had read recommendations for this book on various Agile user groups and I am glad I went for it. I had a fair idea of what Agile was, how it should work/be applied etc, and had been on a good 3 day workshop. But reality is very different. This book was a brilliant buy. We had decided to approach a project using iterative dev and testing methods, and I was so relieved to have this book alongside me, even if no one else followed 'the rules' I tried my best and it helpd enormously. Also helped to highlight the gaps in other areas of dev that were 'supposed' to be going the 'Agile' way. Hopefully I have learnt some good habbits I can apply on the next project or elsewhere. A must read for anyone new to Agile testing methodoligies or trying to convince others what should be happening. I also highly recommend Agile Estimating and Planning Agile Estimating and Planning brilliant for undertsanding scope and estimating.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read for anyone in software development or test, 8 Jun 2011
This is one of the best software books I have ever read. Its a must if you are serious about software quality in an Agile environment.

Excellent!