4.0 out of 5 stars Great music - let down by recording
Such a great album with Doves back on form with some great songs on this album. It begins on a high for a bunch of killer songs, mellows out with some growers which will hook you in with a few listens, and then comes back for a third section which is different again. Standout track has to be Winter Hill which I just love. Wonderful guitar work throughout which is such a...
Published on 21 Oct 2010 by Neppo

3.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting...
I've now listened to this album four times and I'm still not getting it. I'm waiting for some of the towering moments from the last two albums, eg "Pounding", "Caught by the River", "Snowden" and "Sky Starts Falling" and they just don't come. Only "Kingdom of Rust" truly delivers for me. I love this band and so much wanted this album to be worth the wait after four years...
Published on 11 April 2009 by Gj De Max

3.0 out of 5 stars Glimmers of perfection - but all that glitters . . . ., 7 April 2009
This review is from: Kingdom of Rust (Audio CD)
Maybe I just haven't played this enough yet.
I have several Doves albums that I love but Kingdom of Rust just isn't quite there.
The track Kingdom of Rust is great, dark, brooding, moving, story - everything it should be.
I just wish they would sing more on other tracks, this guy has a great voice.

1.0 out of 5 stars ...breeds contempt., 16 May 2009
Ben J. Johnson "Jokei" (On the sofa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kingdom of Rust (Audio CD)
Well, the earlier stuff came highly recommended - yet, wow, mindblowing, takes boredom to new levels, dreary, insipid, coldplay-style junk! Like some albums take a bit of getting into, well, I've heard this about 10-15 times and can't get over how mediocre this is.

It's probably great for selling cars to, or numbing the roaring silence in your head - if you have one of those.

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID THIS DEPRESSING MUSIC!, 20 April 2009
This review is from: Kingdom of Rust (Audio CD)
An album should pick you up emotionally, it should not make you contemplate throwing yourself off the platform onto the train track. There are 6000 suicides in the UK annually and with this depressing music being the popular choice I can see why. No disrespect intended to the band; they are good musicians. Maybe the one funky track "compulsion" grants it a star in my opinion.

Kingdom of Rust
Kingdom of Rust by Doves (Audio CD - 2009)