Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

Daniel O'Donnell probably became familiar with most of these songs from a very early age, but he clearly enjoyed recording these songs, mostly between 1985 and 1990, but with some more recent including eight dated 2001 or 2002. The vast majority of the songs feature Irish place names from (it seems) every part of the island disregarding the political border. I'm not sure about the origin of These are my mountains, which doesn't mention place names but always makes me think of Scotland, and which is a popular song there too. Whether it is originally Scottish or Irish, it can be interpreted as being about either, so I'm not complaining about its inclusion here. One of the most famous songs here, Forty shades of green, is definitely not Irish in origin, being from the pen of Johnny Cash, but it most certainly belongs here as it is all about Ireland. Clearly, Johnny was most impressed by what he found on one of his visits to Ireland.

Generally, I prefer to hear Daniel singing ballads, but there is a mix of tempos here and I cannot fault any of Daniel's performances. The most famous song here is Danny boy, which I've heard performed by many different singers, not all of them Irish. Of course, I didn't buy this collection for that song, but it had to be included. I am much more interested in the songs that I don't remember hearing elsewhere, especially those with delightful titles like Come back Paddy Reilly to Ballyjamesduff, Cutting the corn in Creeslough, The banks of my own lovely Lee, Pat Murphy's meadow and Lough Melvin's rocky shore. I love those songs about rural Ireland, and this collection contains plenty of them.

Many Irish singers record their share of Irish songs, so there are plenty of similar albums to choose from, but this certainly one of the best. If you love Irish songs, you might consider Susan McCann's Sentimental Journey, which also contains 40 tracks and only four of the songs are the same as on Daniel's collection here. Between the 76 different songs, five of them have Galway in the title. Daniel sings Galway bay, Heaven around Galway bay and Dear old Galway town, while Susan's collection contains Galway races and My own dear Galway bay. Never having been there, I can but wonder as to why Galway in particular is such an inspiration for songs.
on 22 April 2010
This is great if you are holding a St. Patrick's do or looking for something for the end of an Irish Funeral (These are my Mountains, Danny Boy, I'll Take you home again Kathleen). The only ommissions are Going Home and She Moves Through the Fair. The latter is great for weddings!
on 24 January 2013
Very easy to listen to. The lyrics are mwaningful, if you like that sort of song. Not everyones taste, but it is easy on the ear.
on 8 September 2013
There could have been, in my opinion, a wider range of 'well known' Irish songs, but all those recorded suit Daniel's voice well, and as a double album, it works well for easy listening. I would advise for Daniel fans the Ultimate Collection album over this - there are more of Daniel's Irish hits on the Ultimate album.
on 27 June 2011
This is a really good one by Daniel O'Donnell, we have loads of his CD's but nothing quite like this. I especially like him singing 40 Shades of Green, it was the reason that I bought this album as I love Johnny Cash who wrote the song. All in all a very good album for the price!!
on 3 August 2009
I thought that the delivery service on this product was first class.
I just loved this album of Daniel's he is a first class singer and the songs on album took me back to my childhood as a lot of the songs my father used to sing to me when I was a little girl.
on 12 December 2009
Daniel's Irish Album has some beautiful songs in it,some I have never heard before so it was a lovely time playing it and listeningto the new songs{at least they were new to me}I am sure every one would like it very much,good value as well
on 16 April 2014
once again a greta variety of songs to just let play and have no worries about too much noise - stop times l am surprised at the songs and pick out some to listen to again and again
on 3 January 2014
Beautifully sung songs of Ireland. A really good collection of classic Irish songs with some less well known additions to please all lovers of the emerald isle
on 24 April 2012
this dvd was for an elderly lady who dotes on d.d she is 80yrs old but has loads of pictures and material of him.thank you amazon.