Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.59

on 4 April 2007
Well, I am not one to knock the Mersey Boom, like punk it washed away some very manufactured music, but like all storms it took some good with the bad. The New York Soul scene in '62, '63 was producing some of the finest music ever made, not least in the combination of the Reverend Solomon Burke and the irreverent Bert Berns - who saw the Beatles produce the definitive version of his classic 'Twist and Shout'.

So here it is, the best of a great combination, plenty of it, very reasonably priced. There are many many compilations calling themselves the greatest hits of Solomon, he did fine music after leaving Atlantic, and continues to record with commercial success and critical acclaim to this day. Yet this is the business, he has never overcome the early, tragic loss of Berns. Country, blues, soul, latin, protest, with a tight house band, brilliant arragnements, blaring brass and swirling strings. Part of commendable series of reissues, but hey Atlantic - where's the Platinum Ben E King?
on 3 December 2013
far better than i expected, why is this artist not better known?
Solomon Burke is a very underrated artist.
Fantastic.
on 16 May 2014
This is a great album, and Solomon Burke has an amazing voice, these wonderful songs that have brought back great memories.
on 22 January 2014
Great voice, great songs, great album. If you like proper soul then this is for you. Enjoy and don't be afraid to dance.
on 2 May 2013
ANYBODY INTO 1960s SOUL AS I AM WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE THIS RECORDING,SO MANY OF THE GROUPS OF THE ERA COVERED HIS SONGS,EITHER RECORDING THEM,OR AS PART OF THE STAGE ACT.I CAN RECALL THE BIG THREE DOING I STORMING VERSION OF DOWN IN THE VALLEY.SOLOMON BURKE WAS ONE OF THE ALL TIME SOUL LEGENDS.
on 25 July 2013
A c/d that will stand the taste of time and I think will never be surpassed, this man has the essence of feeling in his voice , and has never been given his full acclaim in the uk , often imitated but never bettered ,their will be no more like him ,
on 23 January 2016
I was looking forward to this CD as it had several tracks of Solomons I didn't have. It is good but I have only given it three stars because the copy I got is very poorly done. When I first played it I thought there was something wrong with my headphones, so I tried my earphones, then without any. The cd is tinny and the bass is virtually missing. Having tried it on three different players and getting the same result I gave up. If it was recorded properly then it would be very good. Dissappointed.
on 24 October 2014
Good stuff this - some great classic songs that inspired many people over the years.
on 17 June 2016
TOP TRACK AS USUAL IS CRY TO ME OTHER TRACKS VERY GOOD .
on 1 February 2012
Solomon Burke has a Sexy Velvet Voice with that famous Dirty Dancing track Cry to Me,
Yes girls this is a great cd to get down and dirty to.