5.0 out of 5 stars Maaaarch!
The only word to describe this album is EPIC. This is what we have since come to expect from Vikings Amon Amarth, though this stunning debut is still hailed by many (including me) as their best.

Published on 3 April 2008 by Joe Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars their debut
Amon amarth have become a new sensation in past few years of heavy,epic and stirring melodic death metal music but the fact remains they had albums out even before i started to turn my ear towards their deadly racket,this is their debut and its a fine,brutal affair that is a little different than their more recent outings but not by much.
The tempo here is a little...
Published on 26 Nov 2009 by sean paul mccann

5.0 out of 5 stars Maaaarch!, 3 April 2008

Production wise, it sounds exactly how it should - magnificent melodies on the guitars, thundering drums and of course the ripping, triumphant, screaming vocals. Most of the music on the album is based around the same sort of rhythm, to which I can easily imagine Nordic longboats battling across dark stormy seas. It is therefore the less frequent grooving war-march sections, the odd melancholy solo and the well-placed samples (such as tolling bells and swordfights) that really add spice to the album, making it nothing less than a wild ride!

Something of the pounding repetitive sections such as a few of the middle tracks really get your head banging, and some of the faster earlier tracks are brilliant - all without being over the top. I would usually expect from Viking metal some sort of pomp, but it is not so with this album - there is something very honest and basic about it that I really appreciate. I can also envisage this album never growing old in the metal world - I believe that there will always be a place for this album in the metal (golden) hall of fame. It has a certain ageless quality about it, something that can be accepted by the majority of Metallers, something which can be played between bands at a gig and no one will complain about.

I recommend this album to anyone that is a fan of melodic music, there is something that is easily appreciative about the brilliant writing in these eight epic songs. The best Amon Amarth album in my opinion, and definitely the best starting point for newbies.

3.0 out of 5 stars their debut, 26 Nov 2009
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The tempo here is a little slower than some fans may be used too and the vocals are roared in a little more violent way but at the same token some words are easier to distinguish,when the album hits the nail it can be spinetingling but there is the odd wasted moment for sure.
The production on this is better than the avenger album which is recorded after this by the way,a strong album but not at their best,that was to come but check this out nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true pleasure to own., 22 July 2009
This review is from: The Avenger (Audio CD)
This album is BEAUTIFUL. That is the only word for it. It's got this lovely, shiny, svelte cover; the colours are gorgeous, both on the cover, the discs, the booklet, and the pop-up.

The POP-UP.

I had no idea I was going to get a pop-up. It was one of the nicest surprises out of a purchased product that I've ever had, and it's nice and robust as well. In fact, this entire package is one of the best put-together albums I've ever owned. It's also a rare treat to have an entire album set played on a live CD - anyone who's a fan of Rainbow - Rising will probably it's impossible to find a live album with Tarot Woman, Starstruck and Light in the Black all on it.

And the music? Well, if you're a fan of death metal or heavy metal, Amon Amarth will do you no wrong. They are a good, solid band that you can rely on to produce powerful, stonking metal every time. If you're already an Amon Amarth fan, you NEED to own this. And I must say that you SHOULD buy this on the grounds that very few bands or labels would release such a lavish album at this relatively cheap price.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect band and music, 28 Jun 2014
Barbara Stasicka-rusak "basia" (Taunton-Somerset-UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Sent from the.. (Audio CD)
I do like to list this band and make a collection of theirs cd-s.I recommend to go on live concert as well, They are making a hell of sound!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Once Sent From The Golden Hall; Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Odin, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Once Sent from the.. (Audio CD)
First off, I've been enjoying Amon Amarth for donkey's years, but never took the time to find a copy of any of their albums in stores for reasons I honestly cannot fathom. This was an almost blind buy, due to me loving The Dragon's Flight Across the Waves (still the best song on this I think), so I wasn't wholly sure of what to experience.

THIS. ALBUM. IS. UNREAL.

It opens with the absolutely blistering Ride for Vengeance, peaks in the middle with epic rocker Victorious March, and caps off nicely with the title track. It's an epic, brutal, and arguably better album when compared with later albums (not slagging the others off at all, it's just that the other albums don't tend to stick in my mind as much as this; other than Twilight of the Thunder God). Definitely get this album, it's a landmark in melodic death metal, and a must have for any Amon Amarth, nay, metal fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is War..., 27 Dec 2007
Rob (London U.K) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best Viking Metal albums I have heard and I am sure many others will agree! The riffs & the drumming is very fast paced with some melodic moments giving it more atmosphere. The vocals are death like growls with lyrics about Viking life & warfare. This album also features the great Martin Lopez on drums who used to play in Opeth. I was impressed on the first listen which doesn't happen that often. I recommend this for people who like any type of extreme metal. Enjoy

Once Sent from the..
Once Sent from the.. by Amon Amarth (Audio CD - 2009)