5.0 out of 5 stars Lightning strikes twice with this April Rain Storm
Published on 26 July 2009 by J. Lynam

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album, horrible overcompressed sound
This album is great, but the sound is horrible, too much compressed. It sounds like a cassette tape, recorded with constantly changing rec level...
5 star music, - 2 stars for sound quality...
Published on 21 May 2012 by Paul VG

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightning strikes twice with this April Rain Storm, 26 July 2009
This review is from: April Rain (Audio CD)
April Rain is by far and away the best album I've heard in a long time. I discovered Delain on a compilation album, Beautiful Voices 3, and was inspired on the strength of two songs,one audio the other video, to purchase Lucidity which quickly established itself as my favourite album in 2008. Its Within Tempation heritage and influence blended with Nightwish inspired tones was a solid foundation onto which they built their own style and with great success. April Rain doesn't suffer from second album syndrome and for me totally eclipses its predecessor.

Musically this is a more ambitious,complex, multi layered affair than Lucidity and on the whole is almost pure Delain though I heard a tiny Lcuna Coil influence in Stay Forever and a bit of Jethro Tull in Start Swimming but that's no bad thing. It is a superbly balanced sounding album, soaring up and down, perfectly blending hard rock with orchestration notably some haunting cello notes and some calms within this tempestuous storm of an album. Charlotte Wessels vocals are more confident with a greater range of ability on display and a timbre to her voice that was evident in Lucidty but is overtly on display here. Lyrically this is a more poetic and prophetic collection of songs than before. If I had to pick one track that perfectly encapsulates almost everthing this album has to offer it would be I'll Reach You.

I can't fault this album and it has elevated Delain to the status of my favourite group knocking Within Temptation into second place. This is perfection.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK but not as good as Lucidity, 1 Aug 2009
Big Red - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: April Rain (Audio CD)
If you're into gothic symphonic rock and are new to Delain, you'll probably like this. Now a full band, Delain was originally a project started by Martijn Westerholt, brother of Robert from Within Temptation. But if you're already a fan and familiar with the debut CD Lucidity, prepare yourself for a shock.

For April Rain Martijn has taken a step back and allowed the other band members to contribute more. The result is something that sounds more like a straightforward rock band and is not as adventurous as Lucidity. Marco from Nightwish is the only guest vocalist this time round although he does a good job on two of the best tracks. Without him I think it would sound a bit dull, surprisingly despite the great vocals of Charlotte Wessels.

The only track here that would not sound out of place on Lucidity is the title song. I think it's unfair to compare the two CDs though because of the different approach taken. It's better to judge them on their own merits, and what we have here is a pretty solid rock album which should appeal to fans of the genre. Just treat this as a different band to that which made Lucidity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive step up from Lucidity, 6 Dec 2009
This review is from: April Rain (Audio CD)
The Silent Force by Within Temptation is one of my favourite albums, so when I saw Delain mentioned in comparison, I was intruiged to check out their debut. Plenty of promise, but only the track Frozen really hits home. So when April Rain was released I was interested to see if things have changed. And they have! The song writing, playing, vocals and arrangements have all taken a massive leap forwards. Every song with the exception of Go Away is a 5 star winner, even the bonus Come Closer. From bombastic rockers to sweet ballads, they carry it all off with supreme style. There is much here to interest the prog fan, especially if Everon and Threshold are to taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock perfection ..., 4 Sep 2010
Sam Martyn (British Isles) - See all my reviews
This review is from: April Rain (Audio CD)
This is probably the best album I have ever bought - I cannot fault a single track. The amazing thing is that I had never even heard of Delain until the album was recommended to me by Amazon, after I had purchased Tear the World Down by We Are the Fallen, whom I would also never have come across, if I had not watched them perform on the second stage at Download this year (whilst my son was watching Lamb of God!). I have never heard such extraordinarily brilliant rock music. Delain are fantastic and I have just played this album over and over, to the exclusion of virtually all else. April Rain is loud, heavy, symphonic, melodic - it's just great, from beginning to end. I would love to see them perform live. I am in my 50's by the way, and still rocking! Don't hesitate - hit that 'buy' button now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Let It Rain, 2 Oct 2009
Mortal (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: April Rain (Audio CD)
Well I was honestly quite surprised this was a much welcome return.

After hearing the first album Lucidity and being more than impressed I didn't know what to expect from Delain's second attempt.

Luckily it was just what I expected some may say it's very predictable and in a way yes it is, it hasn't ventured much in another musical direction from the last album or even from other similar bands (aka Within Temptation & Nightwish) but I think this is good as after the Lucidity album I was left wanting more and here it is re-packaged in the form of April Rain.

Charlotte Wessels vocals are stunning as usual with such a crisp sound and alluring tone, the music is epic / symphonic and pounding for most of the album as to be expected but there are a couple of slower more melodic songs that are more than welcome and follow the typical female fronted gothic metal band style.

If this band had of got in 1st they would of been the equivalent to Nightwish or Within Temptation but I guess they had to have a musical style to follow and that's why they are here.

If you are into Within Temptation, Nightwish, Leaves' Eyes etc then Delain should definitely be at the top of your list for your next purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Album, 1 Oct 2009
This review is from: April Rain (Audio CD)
I brought this Album on the strength on a couple of clips off of a well known internet Video site.
If you like WT you will love this. Charlotte Wessels has a great voice. A must for fans of female goth/melodic metal. This CD has spent it's time constantly in my car CD player since I brought it!

5.0 out of 5 stars DELAIN BUUUUYYYYY NOW!, 2 Aug 2012
Barry (Stoke-on-Trent. Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: April Rain (Audio CD)
Absolute sheer brilliance ,you cannot get better than this ,Awsome songs musicaly top notch .I have the 'Lucidity (cd). as well ,you will not get better than this gorgeous singer as well ,I am a Within Temtation Fan too ,now a Delain Fan.
Just buy their cds ,three in total ,put yer headphones on relax and listen to this
Awsome band ,trust me ,buy buy buy ,go on then click ,stick em in yer basket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Voice and music a perfect match, 24 July 2012
Alsatian1 (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: April Rain (MP3 Download)
This band is sooooo far out of my normal musical tastes, but for some reason I bought this album and loved it. I really like female vocalists, and the combination of this and the euphoric rock elements are just plain amazing. The lead singers voice is beautiful and powerful, and the instrumental aspects very accomplished. Some of the lyrics are a little beyond my understanding, and I like to think I'm deep, but it obviously means something to them so I wont complain. Great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I bought this TWICE (but hell it was worth it!), 8 Jun 2011
This review is from: April Rain (Audio CD)
Bought the "standard" CD back in 2011 -Review Below! A year on, heard "Come Closer" track and HAD to get ,tried to download:

* Amazon UK ,they dont have , nor did anyone else in UK

* Amazon USA , they DO have, but cant/wont download to UK (legal stuff I guess), still at least I learned it was a bonus track on a version of April Rain:

S0.....IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY BOUGHT,LOOK OUT FOR A "DIGIPAK" OR "LTD EDN" VERSION ,EXPAND THE IMAGE & MAKE SURE IT INCLUDES "COME CLOSER"...MIGHT COST A LIITLE MORE UP FRONT, BUT TRUST ME YOU'LL BE QUIDS IN AS YOU WILL ONLY THEN EVER NEED TO BUY IT ONCE !!

(PS "COME CLOSER" IS NOT LISTED AS BEING ON "INTERLUDE" EITHER!)

---------------------------

Debut album "Lucidity"was about as hard an act to follow as you can get, but "April Rain" does just that and in style that from first track to last. Grows from good to great in first couple of plays and over a year on is still a real "stayer" like very few others, definitely one of my top few albums of the last year or two.

A must for any lover of femme metal, the album should appeal widely to fans of bands like Stream of Passion,Leaves Eyes,Kingfisher Sky, Agua de Anneke and not least Within Temptation. Martijn Westerholt as many will know was a WT founder member but had to drop out after falling ill with ME .Which makes his recovery and founding of Delain and its success to date a true "triumph over adversity" like few other bands.Thanks to which also Charlotte Wessels awesome vocals and grest songwriting talents got the lucky break they fully deserved sooner rather than later ...methinks the (Silent) Force was and is clearly with them!

So, "Buy now while stocks last" !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic gothic rock album, 18 Mar 2010
Paul Barnard "P Barnard" (Scunthorpe, Nth Lincs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: April Rain (Audio CD)
Delain are another Dutch based symphonic rock band founded by the ex-keyboard player from Within Temptation, What makes this band stand out is the exceptional tonal quality and vocal range of Charlotte Wessels. If you are a fan of gothic music and in particular Within Temptation you will love this album.

Delain have released two albums, both of which are very accomplished but I think the later `April Rain' really defines their sound and established them as one of the best current gothic metal artists.

Stand out tracks here are for me the slower tracks `On The Other Side' and `Start Swimming', both of which have a tinge of Caren Carpenter in there... yes I'm that old. Also worth a mention are the tracks `April Rain', `Virtue and Vice' and `Control The Storm' which are a little more up tempo numbers.

April Rain
April Rain by Delain (Audio CD - 2010)