5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight, A Reluctant Geek's Perspective
I think that watching Twilight for the second time was one of the best ideas I have had for a long time. The Sorrows of loosing a parent to someone else and having to move your entire life and live with your other estranged parent is in my opinion portrayed wonderfully by Kristen Stewart.

Having never joined a new school myself the awkwardness, discomfort and...
Published 23 months ago by Chris Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and disappointing, both at the same time.
Yes, of course if you've read the books you should definitely go see the movie. And yes, you will probably enjoy it. BUT, that said, as a book-to-movie adaptation, of course it could also be better.

Published on 7 Jan 2009 by down-right-mysical

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight, A Reluctant Geek's Perspective, 31 Aug 2012
This review is from: Twilight [DVD] (DVD)

Having never joined a new school myself the awkwardness, discomfort and inadequacies that are portrayed really give me a feeling of how hard it must be for someone of 16 or 17 years old to want to give up and lose hope. Especially if someone you have a crush seems to not want to know you at all.

Robert Pattinson plays his role brilliantly. He is able to make a smooth transition from utter disdain to showing how much his character, Edward, cares for Bella's emotional and physical well-being.

Catherine Hardwicke's direction and the use of camera angles, especially landscape and horizon shots really took my breathe away. Showing such a beautiful scenic location in almost every scene and of course the use of steady-cam and cam-cranes really makes you feel as though you're right in the middle of all the action. The baseball scene in particular is a favourite of mine because it shows the strength, speed, agility and playful side of vampires and how they're not just bloodthirsty sadistic killers.

Carter Burwell's score really sets every scene from slow heart warming ballads to a fast heart pounding rush of emotion that really puts every hair on end. All in all I have to say that Twilight is one of the best films I have seen in the last 10 years. From the amazing award winning cast, beautiful scenery, fantastic soundtrack and the elegant execution of page to screen. Well Done.
-- Chris Brown, 31 Chesterfield

5.0 out of 5 stars omg!!, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Twilight [DVD] (DVD)
Before i start i just want to mention that im a 30 year old old woman with 3 children and a huge horror/thriller lover. Dont really like syfy far fetched stuff, so anyway!
a few of my good friends are all going on about how good TWILIGHT and the rest of the movies are "edward this "edward that "jacub this "jacub that (r u team edward or team jacub?) WHAT THE HELL they talking about, their married women in their 30s being obsessed with teenage movies and teenage boys. i had to laugh must be going through mid life crisis early lol.
So one night i was sitting flicking through channels and saw that twilight was just about to start and thought i would see what all the hype was about, well let me tell you i was hooked within the first 20 mins and couldnt look away. I couldnt honestly take my mind of it all night i was hooked and still am!
Ive since ordered all the books and all the movies and i watch the movies one after another then when ive finished i start again and same with the books haha (how sad am i)
Anyway all i can say never judge until you watch something and im a huge lover of the twilight series
I would highly recommend this film!
OHH YEH AND IM TEAM EDWARD!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight the movie, an outsiders perspective, 2 Feb 2009
I had never read the Twilight books when I went to see the movie. I vaguely remember the hype of Breaking Dawn's release, but it didn't mean anything to me. I saw the queues for the opening of the film and it meant nothing to me, apart from about 3000 people in Dublin being stupid enough to queue for hours in the rain to see a film.

I love vampires and werewolves though, so, at a loose end one weekend, I convinced my boyfriend that it wasnt a horror, and there was nothing else to do. we laughed for about the first hour. it was very funny. But by the middle of the tree top scene I was hooked. we both were.

I rushed home and ordered all four books that night. I read the series straight through twice, and dragged my mom to see the film with me. (I'm in my mid 20's, she's considerably older....)I sat, completely unmoving the whole way through the move. it was like I was greeting old friends. once I knew the story, all of the humour went out of the film, and it became totally engrossing. my mom thought so too.

lots of little things were changed, obviously. the book is better. obviously. I didnt like Stewert (?) as Bella. she played her as too self assured, too graceful. it wasnt Bella for me. But Pattinson brought Edward to life in a way that was so different. I actually liked him more after seeing the film that in the books.

Kellan Lutz is missing the dimples and curls but hes still the same adorable, deep as a puddle Emmet we all love.

the film is more of a companion to the book, it makes the scenery solid. I thought that was actually a plus of the movie, I knew what the characters looked like, I was a little fuzzy on what their neighbourhood was like. the film filled that in. when midnight Sun is published the three will stand together to give a 360 view of Bella and the Cullens world.

WIll I buy the DVD? yes. WIll I watch it a million times, of course. but I'll read the books one million and one ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and disappointing, both at the same time., 7 Jan 2009

Personally, I always wonder where they find the screenwriters who're crazy enough to take on a job like this. No matter what you do, no matter how faithful you are to the book, or conversely how much you change it, very, very rarely is a film version ever better than the novel that stemmed it. Twilight is no exception.

Certainly, it has it's good points. The casting, for one, I think is exceptional: while I had some qualms before I saw it, I loved all the actors, and wouldn't change a single one. They have their moments, of course, but for a young cast they're really rather impressive, particularly Robert Pattinson: I'm disappointed Catherine Hardwicke wouldn't let him play the part as 'dark' as he wanted to.

And that, I think, is where most of the problems with this film lie: with Hardwicke, its director, and Melisssa Rosenberg, it's screenwriter. For starters, I can't help but question Rosenberg's credentials. She's written a lot for TV, but only one other screenplay to date (that being 'Step Up', of all things) and sure, everyone's got to start somewhere... but with one of the biggest films of the year? Maybe not.

I can't fathom many of the changes Rosenberg made. Adding in scenes like the extra scenes with the 'bad' vampires, thus shifting the films emphasis from the 'love story' to the 'action' or 'horror' factor, or like the entirely pointless Biology trip (the conversation that took place there could easily have happened in its original setting), and shifting the order of scenes... the entire Port Angeles scene was thrown out of sync by the fact that Bella did not find out Edward was a vampire until after. And then when she planned to confront him, she went off into the forest with him, not knowing he was 'vegetarian'! In the book, I never thought of Bella as crazy... in the film, I can't help but question it. I simply do not understand the need to change things like that, which would have been so much better if left as they originally were.

Then there's the fact that both Rosenberg and Hardwicke seem greatly preoccupied with showing of the 'scenery' of the the American Northwest. Great, so there are lots of trees. We don't need to see Bella and Edward running off into the woods and climbing trees (besides the point that Edward would never let Bella do that anyway because he'd be too scared of Bella falling out of one), because its supposed to be from Bella's perspective... and Bella doesn't like the great out doors and Forks, in her opinion is far too 'green'. So, skip the theatrics, and give us the love story.

But, err... what love story? If you have not read the books, you could call Bella and Edward's romance entire non-sensical. They've barely talked to each other, and suddenly they're saying 'I'm only afraid of losing you' or 'you're my life now'. Although, never once do they say 'I love you'. And isn't that what it's really supposed to be about? The ultimate love story. Sadly, it's not.

But,all that said, i will see the film again, and I will be buying it on DVD because the essence of Stephenie Meyers work is still there. The plot is still good, the characters still similiar (though Bella is more annoying), and Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson do have good chemistry, they're just not given enough chance to prove it.

I really hope they do better with examining the love story in 'New Moon'... but seeing as there's less of it, I really doubt it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The original and best, 14 Dec 2010
M. newbold (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight [DVD] (DVD)
I love the Twilight films, and watched the first two installments even before reading the books, which is unusual for me.
Having different directors for each of the films can sometimes work, especially if you don't particularly like one directors work, but I have to say that everything came together well for the first film, and wished the director was used again for the subsequent films.
The first film is my favourite by far, and when my DVD copy started to play up after many viewings, I immediately ordered another copy as this is one film that doesn't sit on the shelf gathering dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight DVD, 12 April 2010
L. Payne (UK) - See all my reviews
I had already seen the Twilight film but just had to have my own copy. I intend to get the series as they come out. Just awaiting New Moon now! What can I say? Edward on the screen is enough to make it good! I love this film and would watch it over and over. I recommend reading the books too. I've heard New Moon is even better so I can't wait to get my copy. Buy it buy it buy it!! Every girl needs an Edward and every boy should have a Bella.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Saturday (or any) night entertainment, 8 Jan 2010
Christopher Rudd (UK) - See all my reviews
Much furor has been created around Catherine Hardwick's adaptation of Stephanie Meyer's bestselling novel of a worlwind romance between a reclusive vampire and an inquisitive teenage girl. Adolescent females turned up to picture houses in their droves to catch a peak of Robert Pattinson's portrayal of the pale skinned metahuman pin-up, and, were largely not dissapointed.

Twilight is not depicted as a chick flick - the melancholic imaginations of the two respective leads, Edward and Bella, make for a brooding intensity not present in breezy romantic comedies that usually ply for female attention. Nor, even, is Twilight exclusively female orientated, but it aims to reach audiences of all types and ages with stunning visuals and a high octane finale.

The story is somewhat rushed, although perhaps judiciously so, in order to allow Pattinson and Stewart time for their characters to bond. Where possible, Hardwick uses dramatic licence in order to progress the narrative expeditiously: the underplayed relationiship between Bella and her father being perhaps the most obvious example, but also the rather bizarre roots of Edward and Bella's relationship which would test anyone's notion of 'weird'. And why is Stewart's morose protagonist the most saught after girl in school? Nevertheless, the dynamic between the two leads works: both are misanthropes (not that any of Bella's school chums seems to notice) with a fascination for each other tinged with an unspoken sexual tension (it is noteworthy that for a romance, there is hardly any physical contact at all); and it is this dynamic that drives the storyline through.

It is a shame, therefore, that Twilight is ultimately divided into two parts: the first being the setting for Edward and Bella's romance - the unlikely relationship between a human and a natural born killing vampire and also the . The second feels like an appendage, an unecessary exposition of the danger Edward puts Bella in merely by her being close to him. Where the latter may be more integral to the narrative of the book, on screen it feels bustled onto the end of an already intruiging character plot. But this is not a significant hindrance - only a minor concern. Overall, Twilight is an enjoyable watch, which is tonally and visually excellent, but hurried in pace and often requiring leaps in its audiences' imagination.

For fans of Robert Pattinson, it is a must, and for readers of the book perhaps a cautious maybe. But for everyone else, Twilight is well worth a watch for some Saturday evening popcorn entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, best onein the whole, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Twilight [DVD] (DVD)
brilliant,best onein the whole saga

5.0 out of 5 stars The film just doesnt deliver the way the book does but it still gets 5stars, 10 July 2010
Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed watching this film being a fan of the books, but the film just doesnt deliver the way the book does. It misses things out and adds things in. Obviously this does happen during turning a book into a major movie. The soundtrack is very fitting and there are some cracking songs in there as well as some bluesy ballads that accompany the action in the film perfectly. Twilight is a must see for those who have read the books, and Robert Pattinson just makes it that little bit better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, could be worse..., 6 July 2010
I must say I used to be completely addicted to Twilight, only recently deciding that there was better vampyre books out there. So when I went to see Twilight the movie, I was a little disappointed. It was a good film, but not as close to the book as I would have liked. My friends, one of whom was just a big fan as I was, all loved it. So maybe it is just my picky nature, but I really think it could have been better. Edward's car was not flashy enough, and it was supposed to be the least flashy, which doesn't say much for the others. Kristen Stewart was, to put it bluntly, terrible. She was boring, and nothing like the Bella I had in my head. She was far too obvious in her constant looks at Edward, and looked constantly nervous. Robert Pattinson was OK, but he was too pretty-boy-trying-to-be-bad-boy for him to really be bad boy enough for me. The rest of the cast was fine, but I didn't like that they removed Lauren. She was a fairly large character that wasn't vampyre or werewolf. Rosalie was too pouty, and not pretty enough. Alice was perfect, very bouncy and happy-go-lucky. Emmett wasn't big enough, but that is fine. Jasper was just plain weird. What was with his whole wide eyed scared bunny look? Carlisle was good, just perfect enough. Esme was perfect too, the exact mother figure.

Like I said, maybe it is just my picky nature, but I didn't like it enough. It kinda put me off the books a little. It was a good film, with enough special features, the actors did act well, the script was really good, and it did make sense. But I think with different actors, it could have been better. Just small things that I didn't like. I think you would enjoy it more if you hadn't read the books.

Twilight [DVD]
Twilight [DVD] by Catherine Hardwicke (DVD - 2009)
2.00