5.0 out of 5 stars pop treasure
Published on 15 Mar 2009 by in seclusion

3.0 out of 5 stars Same old...
Why, for the love of whatever, can we not get any of the unreleased haircut songs??? It's been over twenty-years since pelican west; WE'VE ALL HEARD "LOVE PLUS ONE" AND CO. THOUSANDS OF TIMES!!! Give us something we have NOT heard. PLEASE!
Published on 30 Sep 2009 by K. Maloo

5.0 out of 5 stars pop treasure, 15 Mar 2009
This review is from: Favourite Songs: The Best Of Nick Heyward & Haircut 100 (Audio CD)
simply some of the finest pop music ever created. this is the music of my youth, my present and the soundtrack to my future. shame that room could not be found for some rarities or unreleased items ("don't go but don't stay either", "wonderful day") or the material recorded for warners and creation. however, what is here is 5 star pop with hooks & words to sweep you off your feet, bring tears to your eyes and put a ruddy great smile on your face; occasionally all at the same time. buy two copies, one for yourself and one for a friend. they'll love you forever.

incidentally, nick has a new album out with india dupre "the mermaid & the lighthouse keeper" which also comes very highly recommended indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT - TWO ALBUMS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!, 27 Jan 2013
Dave R "katsd" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Someone bought me "Love Plus One" on a 7" single when it was first released back in '82 & even though I loved it, I couldn't really admit it as we were all into AC/DC, Quo, Motorhead etc & being only 18, I hid it at the back of the singles box. At the time they were viewed by us "serious" music appreciators (pretentious or what) as a "poppie" boy band with nice hair.

Thirty odd years later I & I can listen to what I want without fear of ridicule. I was looking at "Pelican West" as that was the album I associated with Haircut 100 but on checking the tracklisting, I realised that this was actually "Pelican West" on disc one & Nick Heywoods greatest hits on disc two. So double bubble !!!

It's a lovely album, the songs are well crafted & well played. The songs tend to be in the same sort of vein, light & infectious with no surprises. I can't comment on other reviewers criticisms about which tracks are included or missed off - to me it sounds great. It has the four singles I remember as well as some other delightfully easy to listen tracks. I first thought it sounded dated, but after several listens I've decided that it was actually ahead of it's time & is not as out of place now as a lot of it's rivals from the same era sound on re-listening.

In the end, it's not (yet) a five-star album on content - but who knows. My opinion on music tends to change over a period. But on value for money - definitely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Part of cd collection, 24 July 2013
Michael Arnold (Barry,Vale of Glamorgan) - See all my reviews
Love music, enjoy listening to Nick Hayward after all this time good value for money. Arrived in good time, very pleased with purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Of Nick Heyward & Haircut 100, 10 Jun 2013
The Double album from Nick Heyward is brilliant … The all great Haircut 100 numbers, in exactly the same order as the Old 12″ Pelican West Vinyl album …. Just love the old Escort Rs2000 rore between tracks, a real blast from my teenage years !!!! … This album was well ahead of it's time and can still compete today in the Pop market place ... 11/10

3.0 out of 5 stars Same old..., 30 Sep 2009