5.0 out of 5 stars Prince's masterful 6th album...
In 1984 Prince released what would come to be his biggest selling album: 'Purple Rain'. The soundtrack to his highly successful film of the same name; the album catapulted him to superstardom.
Published on 21 Nov. 2003 by L. A. Stanley

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware MP3 Version of this album!!!
Purple Rain [Explicit]

I was shocked to find when listening to this that the MP3 download contains the heavily edited 'radio' version of the track "Purple Rain".

Published on 20 May 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware MP3 Version of this album!!!, 20 May 2010
This review is from: Purple Rain [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Purple Rain [Explicit]

The album is a triumph, and it was fantastic to hear it again after so many years, but I feel somewhat cheated having wasted the monety to download it when I am going to have to buy it again on CD to get the full version of the album.

Very disappointed :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Prince's masterful 6th album..., 21 Nov. 2003
L. A. Stanley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
'Purple Rain' isn't just a movie soundtrack though, but a collection of some of the most electrifyingly impressive songs you will ever hear from this decade , or any other for that matter.
Crammed with highly distinctive melodies and sharp hooks; 'Purple Rain' remains one of Prince's most accessible albums, yet it still manages to surprise the listener on multiple playing, and it's the more unorthodox and intriguing songs, such as 'Computer Blue', that impress the most.
Every track on the album is brilliantly crafted, with many of the songs building from gentle openings to fiery climaxes, tracks such as 'When Doves Cry' and 'The Beautiful Ones' have an incredible amount of emotion poured into them and reach heights rarely reached in other Prince songs.
Picking a greatest track is impossible, EVERY song stands out.
The 4 singles taken from the album ('When Doves Cry', 'Lets Go Crazy', 'I Would Die 4 U', and the title track) still impress, but the real masterstroke of the album is with the threesome of 'The Beautiful Ones - Computer Blue - Darling Nikki'.
These three tracks complete what is possibly the greatest sequence of songs on any Prince album ever.
'The Beautiful Ones' is a phenomenal ballad with an outstanding vocal delivery from Prince. The song builds from a wonderfully gentle opening to a conclusion of keyboard bursts and screaming vocals. The song has been a fan favourite since its release and it remains Prince's greatest ballad ever, which is quite a feat considering the quality of his slow jams.
'Computer Blue' has to be the most un-noticed song on the whole album when it comes to critics, which is such a shame because, other than 'The Beautiful Ones', it is probably the strongest song on 'Purple Rain' and deserves much more attention then it gets.
The suite-like 'Computer Blue' is a magnificently structured funk-rock song, containing amongst other things, some fantastic guitar work from Prince.
Introduced by a monologue between Wendy & Lisa the track begins with a clean, crisp drum loop (the drum programming, as with most Prince records, is excellent throughout) and descends it to a frantic clash of synth-bursts and screaming guitar riffs as the song progresses. It's the most fascinating track on the album and completely blew me away when I first heard it. The version found on 'Purple Rain' though is in fact an edit of the full length 11 minute version...the song was cut down to make room for 'Take Me With U' and 'When Doves Cry' at the last minute. As impressive as the album cut is, the extended version is quite magnificent and stands as one of Prince's greatest tracks from the 80's.
'Computer Blue' segues almost seamlessly into 'Darling Nikki'; the only song on the album that caused some controversy upon its release due to its masturbation reference.
The track is wonderfully raunchy featuring some (as usual) excellent synth & guitar work, and is easily the funkiest song on the album.
The rest of the tracks on 'Purple Rain' including the anthemic title tune, the frenzied 'Let's go Crazy', and the pop-perfect 'Take Me With U' impress just as much as the previously mentioned songs and shouldn't be overlooked.
One thing that is always notable about 'Purple Rain' is how raw, yet fresh the music sounds. Prince never bettered the guitar work on this album and only his 95' album 'The Gold Experience', comes close to showing why Prince is as rated on guitar as he is.
Prince's 1984 album isn't his best ('1999' or 'Sign O' The Times would get the credit for that) but no other album quite sounds like it and it's essential buying...I mean it's what made me a Prince fan. ;o)

5.0 out of 5 stars My desert island disc!, 20 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
Can I give this 10 stars?
You know that famous question people always enjoy asking? "If you were stuck on a desert island and could only have one music album with you, what would it be?" Well, 1984's "Purple Rain" LP is my desert island album! I can no longer listen to many of my past favourite albums anymore because I have listened to them so much I'm actually too familiar and a little bit tired of them. This never seems to happen with the "Purple Rain" LP. No matter how many times I've listened to it, it never loses its effect on me. It is the kind of album you have to listen to all the way through and in its proper order (not on random/shuffle mode).
"Let's Go Crazy" is an all-time classic, "Beautiful Ones" is Prince showing all kinds of musical styles and singing in one magnificent track, "Computer Blue" is an amazing guitar adventure, "Darling Nikki" is downright dirty, "I Would Die 4 U" has great lyrics and an unforgettable tune, "Baby I'm A Star" is Minneapolis funk at its strongest and is a great song to hear before going on a night out. "Purple Rain" closes the album in gobsmacking fashion, Prince's guitar playing skills on this track are fabulous and it is epic stadium rock at its finest. There is something about this album that works so well, so cohesive - you can't get that effect from hearing "Let's Go Crazy" or "When Doves Cry" on some off-the-shelf Prince greatest hits album. Prince's performance of these songs in the Purple Rain movie make it all the more memorable, I highly recommend seeing that as well.
In short, this album is as close to a perfect cohesive rounded album that is tight enough it doesn't outstay its welcome, and leaves you wanting to hear the whole thing again as soon as it comes to an end. There is no filler. No b-side tracks. Every track is an absolute gem, and totally unique.
This is one pop-rock album that everyone needs to own. If I'm ever stuck on a desert island, I hope this CD is with me (and a stereo to listen to it on of course).

5.0 out of 5 stars Prince's most rocking album and one of his best, 13 Oct. 2011
Koala (Southampton, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
This album covers a range of themes, some romantic/sexual and some more general, such as going crazy/nuts, but Prince puts his characteristic energy and passion into every song. His voice soars on songs like The Beautiful Ones, or you might say he screams like a lunatic. Either way, singing like that is beyond most mortal men. His songs are delicately crafted, even when they're also very in-your-face, with many creative bridges and interludes which you wouldn't necessarily expect. This guy doesn't write songs by the book - he writes his own book! If you like songs which are sexy and full of passion as well as lots of fun, this is an album you absolutely don't want to miss. Whether you're looking for a song to have a good time to, or a song to capture the depths of your romantic angst, this album has it all!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars simply isn't enough. Review by Nicky Bruce, 18 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
If you don't already own this album, where have you been! Im surprised anyone actually needs to read a review. Needless to say, I love Purple Rain. It's the first Prince album I ever heard, and its the album that made me a fan. It's hard to choose favourite songs because theyre all great. But I truly couldn't do without 'The Beautiful Ones' and 'When Doves Cry'. Not to mention 'Take Me With U' and 'I would Die 4 U' This was probably the Make AND Break album of Prince's career. It propelled him to super-stardom, but every album he made after it was constantly compared to it's brilliance. Lyrically it is inspired, musically it is genius. Definately one of my all time favourites and certainly not dated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Bendingly Brilliant, 2 Oct. 2011
K. Tune "mustard57" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
I'm not sure I'll be saying anything that hasn't been said elsewhere, and perhaps more eloquently, but will at least add to the critical mass of opinion that says this is an outstanding album.

Its sheer brilliance has been slightly overshadowed by its commercial success, but listening back to it, over twenty years later, I am struck by how adventurous and indeed avant-garde it is - very few mainstream albums have deviated more from the traditional verse chorus structure we associate with popular music.

The most striking example of this is what was the first single from the album, "When Dove's Cry". The first twenty seconds of this are an utterly blistering salvo from Prince's guitar - effortlessly demonstrating beyond all doubt we are in the presence of a master. Incredibly heavy, the thread is taken up by a brief chanting type vocal, followed by the sparsest of keyboard riffs, and then just the sound of Bobby Z's drums and Prince saying "Dig if you will, a picture ...". There is no chorus , and there is possibly very little by the way of melody. Nevertheless, the track packs an incredible punch, and with lines like "maybe I'm just like my father, too bold, maybe you're just like me mother, she's never satisfied" the sense that this is something very real heightens the power of the song. It finishes with a keyboard line spiralling into the upper register and Prince telling his lover "don't cry". It shouldn't work, it doesn't sound like anything else, but work it does.

The title track, intended as the finale, again breaks all the rules. Clocking in at over eight minutes, it is the power ballad shredded and reconstituted by Prince's fertile imagination. Stunningly it was recorded live, but the playing is impeccable, and the song is as complex as anything else you will hear in the world of popular music. The beautiful intro, and Prince's opening lines "I never meant to cause you any sorrow / I never meant to cause you any pain" are a wonderful start, but what truly takes the song into greatness is the long coda, with it's simple guitar motif, but underpinned by a bass line of irresistible force. Prince's vocal interjections lift the slow fade that little bit more, but the final phase, where the cellos search for the final chord without finding it make this track an entirely original triumph.

The much discussed "Darling Nikki" - one rude word giving it international notoriety, is if anything an update on Norwegian Wood. A casual encounter gives rise to a brief tryst, with the girl vanishing in the morning. Slightly less coy admittedly, it's swaggering sexual charge provided by Prince's powerful guitar work, and devastating wordless vocals make it a powerful piece of work.

Computer Blue is another example of Prince's confidence in simply ignoring standard forms. The song starts with some potentially steamy dialogue, some squalling keyboards and Prince asking "Where is my love life?". After some heavy riffing and vocal digressions the track segues into something quite different, again without verse or chorus. Prince ties it all back in at the end by repeating the initial riff, fading out with a great scream.

Let's Go Crazy is another high point. A great spoken word intro, starting off as if Prince were leading a pentecostalist marriage service, and finishing with with one of the all time great incendiary slashes of power guitar.

The Beautiful Ones boasts one of the finest and most convincing vocal performances on the album up against impressive competition some great guitar playing, fine lyrics - "The Beautiful Ones, they hurt you every time" with Prince sounding in real plausible spiritual anguish - "Do you want him, or do you want me, cos I want you", swelling crescendos, a mysterious intro and again no real chorus.

Take me with you is another wonderful song, and Baby I'm a Star is a declaration of intent.

Prince has it all on this album, amazing guitar, drums like you've never heard before, truly emotional lyrics, sounding like a man who knew that very shortly he would have the world at his feet. Arguably it's not his greatest album, but what the hell. A great album it is. A stunningly original piece of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect introduction to Prince, 23 April 2009
J. Jenkins (Dudley Port, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
I'd always liked the Prince singles I heard, but this was the first full length I chanced. I soon realised the man is about more than great singles; every song here is excellent.

The album swings more towards the 'rock' end of the spectrum than some of his other output, but any rock god type indulgence never comes at the expense of his pop instincts; even at approaching 9 minutes epic power ballad Purple Rain never feels flabby.

Compare the album to something like The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour album (both ostensibly film soundtracks, actually more resembling greatest hits by fellow pop genuises). On both albums interspersed between the solid gold pop moments are more 'challenging' compositions but where approaching Flying or Blue Jay Way you think 'here comes one of the weird ones,' Purple Rain is seamless. I listened to Computer Blue a fair few times before I fully clocked that there's only one verse and chorus, an extended instrumental jam, then the end. I kept misremembering that the chorus came back, it seems so much like another perfect pop song. (I had no idea it was an edit of a longer track either). From there it's on to Darling Nikki, a perverted nursery rhyme with a heavy metal guitar riff on top. But these songs don't sound like experiments as much as another two hit singles. Obviously, the pedigree of When Doves Cry, I Would Die For You and Let's Go Crazy is well proven.

If I had to pick a fault, it would be that the vocal style can be a little overwrought, but Prince without such eccentricities wouldn't be Prince. Even though I'm in the early stages of my love affair with The Purple One, I already feel like this is one of my favourite albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars When the world knew his name, 24 Feb. 2009
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
This is where I came in. I still remember when I first heard "When Doves Cry" - a Thursday night, lying on my parents' lounge floor, watching "Top Of The Pops". A short snippet of the song was played in the "top 40 breakers" (new entries to the chart) section and I was transfixed: it sounded like nothing I'd ever heard before. Two days later I bought the album on cassette, and if I close my eyes I can still see myself lying on the same floor, listening to it on my Walkman, my life in music changed forever. That was it - I was a Prince fan, some may say a fanatic.

As a Prince album it could be argued that "Purple Rain" is a failure, simply because it isn't that varied, every track a rock song, with very little of the variety which has become his trademark. Some fans actively hate the album for this reason, describing it as "one note" simply because all of the songs are in the same broad style, but in my opinion when the songs are this good, does it really matter?

By now, most of the tracks will be familiar, with the exception of a few on the first half. The album starts with the electrifying "Let's Go Crazy", its distinctive sermon-like opening still sending shivers down my spine twenty-five years after I first heard it. The album then shifts into rock-ballad territory with the hugely enjoyable duet, "Take Me With U", but then things take a darker turn with "The Beautiful Ones", "Computer Blue" and "Darling Nikki" - three superb songs, and probably the three least-known tracks on the album outside of the fan community. Of these, "Darling Nikki" is the dark and sleazy tale of a night with a prostitute, its X-certificate lyrics the reason why this album was one of the first to feature a "Parental Advisory - Explicit Lyrics" sticker.

The second half is a triumph. Opening with "When Doves Cry" it doesn't put a high-heeled pixie boot wrong. "I Would Die 4 U" and "Baby I'm A Star" merge together into one huge adrenalin rush, the full-length version of "Purple Rain" their finale. By the time the album ends you'll be exhausted, but desperate to hear it again.

A classic - pure and simple. Every home should have one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tribute to Genius, 14 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
Coming back to this album twenty years later, I still can't fail to be swept away by the breadth, energy and brilliance of this work. Five stars just aren't enough. The initial evangelical address exhorts the listener to celebrate life and this music is a celebration of live, love and sex. The energetic funk-rock of Let's Go Crazy getting you off your chair, before collapsing into a scream of a guitars and a pounding drum performance to be followed by the uplifitng catchiness of Take Me With U, one of those songs that makes you smile wherever and whenever you hear it.
The Beautiful Ones strikes a more melancholy note. Prince's vocal performance is the thing of beauty as he appeals to his lover to stay with him, reflecting on the transcience of beauty, he asks her to marry him, demanding that she makes a choice, his voice reaching out for ever greater heights as his desperation increases. It is a great dramatic performance and demonstrates his sense of theatre.
The sexy voices of Wendy and Lisa introduce Computer Blue, the song most similar to some of Prince's earlier works. Although, it is perhaps the least memorable track on the album, the excellence of the band means that is is far from filler and repays repeated listening.
The growling guitar of Darling Nikki and Prince's relaxed delivery announces the song to sing to all the Nicolas and Nicoles of the world, but one that only Prince can really get away with. His bemused and bewildered tone is indicative of the great humour of his work, a quality that critics often seem to choose to ignore.
When Doves Cry is a classic, the lyrics beautiful. We imagine ' the ocean of violets in bloom' , we imagine the lovers trying to repair their relationship but not sure why they have argued, asking themselves' why do we scream at each other'. It is an anthem that expresses the pain of disagreement with someone you love and is touching and powerful.
It is quickly succeeded by the joyful funk of I would die 4 U and the pounding energy of Baby I'm a star- two great songs unlucky enough to be sandwiched between two masterpieces.
The opening chords of Purple Rain grabs your attention and stirs your feelings- how I wept when I heard him play it last year. The beauty of his voice again sweeps you away, the agony of his loss and the beauty of the imagery.
It's difficult to be objective about music of such quality, such drama and such power. There can be few albums which mix such magical music with such sense of drama and such epic power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece! Prince in his best era in my opinion., 7 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
This is a classic and includes alot of singles. Before he turned to poppy aswell and had an awesome look. I would have liked to see a few more tracks on there though but oh well. The track Purple Rain is probably one of the best from the 80's, really unique but then again he is. It is also his highest selling album selling nearly 20 million units sold but he's sold over 100 million so don't think his other ones are bad and unsuccesful too. Other highlights for me were "Lets Go Crazy" (a great opening to) I may grow on you, "When Doves Cry" which is beautiful, "I Would Die 4 U", "Baby I'm A Star" is pretty good to and then obviously the perfect ending to a great album. The instrumental is at a very high standard and I love Prince's guitar and hopefully will get to see him live someday. He is a great preformer.

Although I'm sure Prince is not everyones taste this album will give you a good taster of the musical icon, then a phycodelic pop/rock, great guitar player, genious song writer lyrics-wise and a bit of a nutter before he had a downfall and changed is name to a symbol. Anyway he's back now. If your looking for more poppy stuff than the samples if there are any, then look at his later stuff. By the way I would like to add he seems like a cross between Micheal Jackson and Pink Floyd. I like many big artists in different groups like Micheal Jackson to Marilyn Manson to Eminem (3 favourites in different groups) and I can say we have another king. I hope we see some more material like this in the future from you Prince.