5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Madeleine Magic
I first heard this magical album or rather a track from it, 'Don't wait too long'whilst on holiday on an island. The voice was so familiar, tender, that my husband could not wait to get off the island, home and buy it.
I implore you, so does he, to buy this album and play it constantly.
Madeleine Peyroux's treatment of Bob Dylan's 'You're gonna make me...
Published on 3 Aug 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Love her voice but not the band
The musical director or arranger for this session should be taken out and shot. The CD starts well with two good tracks but then the messy accompaniments seem go from bad to worse. The Organ and piano frequently compete in the backing and fills and the whole thing becomes very slushy when the electric piano takes over. The sugary bell like chimes that pervade most of the...
Published on 18 Jan 2006 by R. F. Culverhouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Madeleine Magic, 3 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Careless Love (Audio CD)
I implore you, so does he, to buy this album and play it constantly.
Madeleine Peyroux's treatment of Bob Dylan's 'You're gonna make me lonesome' is truly wonderful.
Well done Madeleine!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply unmissable., 12 Aug 2005
C. Moorby - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Careless Love (Audio CD)
I bought this album after hearing Madeleine's cover of Bob Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" and was instantaneously enamoured by her bluesy, smokey and in my view, unique voice. The blend of music on the album is brilliant, ranging from slow ballads to more upbeat jazzy numbers, but all of which retaining the sleekness one expects from this sort of album. In short, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Madeleine Peyroux, 31 Mar 2005
Ms. H. Sinton "dragondrums" (Ingleby Barwick. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Careless Love (Audio CD)
This second album from Madeleine Peyroux lives up to the promise she showed 'Dreamland', her brilliant debut album. When you first hear her wonderfully smoky, smooth tones, it's hard to believe it isn't one of the great female jazz artists of the 30's or 40's. She has a voice reminiscent of Billie Holliday and yet uniquely her own. This brilliant selection of songs is expertly delivered and is an essential addition to the collection of anyone who loves Jazz.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Smoky Smooth Sound Of Madeleine Peyroux - A Special CD, 11 Mar 2005
This review is from: Careless Love (Audio CD)
I had never heard Madeleine Peyroux sing before until last weekend, when a friend played her new CD, "Careless Love," for me. I was enchanted at first listen. Since then, I have heard many people couple her name with Billy Holiday's. I don't want to be contrary, but I don't want to compare her smoky smooth sound to anyone else's either. To me, there is no other like "Lady Day," nor does there have to be. And Ms. Peyroux, who brings sensuality and a romantic languor to her songs, certainly does not have to stand in another vocalist's shadow. She clearly stamps her excellent collection of songs with her own special style - and a very classy one that is.
The content of this CD is quite diverse, ranging from Hank Williams to a WWII favorite. Many of her cuts are romantic ballads which deal with heartache and love gone wrong. A melange of jazz, country and light blues, backed by rhythm-guitar, and occasionally a low-key Hammond organ, she covers Hank Williams' "Weary Blues," Leonard Cohen's "Dance Me to the End of Love," and Bob Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go," and makes them her own. The WWII era torch song "J'ai Deux Amours," and "Careless Love," the Bessie Smith oldie, are terrific. A cover of Elliot Smith's "Between the Bars" is sung with a haunting melancholy and is probably my favorite cut, along with a song called "No More." "This is Heaven To Me," lovely and lullaby-like is pure heaven to hear. And "Don't Wait Too Long" is an original co-written by Jesse Harris and producer Larry Klein.
A fine band joins her, including Larry Goldings on the keyboard, bassist David Piltch, guitarist Dean Parks, and drummer Jay Bellerose.
This is one of the best CDs I have heard in a long time. Needless to say I bought myself a copy the day after I heard it. It merits a spot in the collection of anyone who loves great jazz vocalists.
JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic, Soulful, and Full of Spice, 6 Feb 2005
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Careless Love (Audio CD)
Madeleine Peyroux, just the name forecasts a feeling of the French, of someone who has lived life and knows how to sing about it. And, we listen to "Careless Love" and we realize we are listening to someone special who has an innate understanding of how to sing these songs. How can this be when Madeleine is in her late twenties and an American to boot? She is a special find and we intend to keep her.
Madeleine was born in Georgia, but grew up in Paris and New York. She got hooked on French culture and began to sing with street musicians. She learned her craft by listening to the greats and then signing the way she knew best. She was found in a small club in New York and was signed by a major record label.
She loves Billie Holliday, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Edith Piaf. She has a voice of her own, sometimes husky but always dreamy. Larry Klein produced this album, he is known for working with Joni Mitchell and Shawn Colvin.
The songs on this CD are glorious and each one has its own story.
"Dance Me To The End Of Love" is a love song found on Leonard Cohen's last CD. Great words and music.
'You're Gonna Make me Lonesome When You Go" is one of Bob Dylan's; songs that brings back the image of love and loss.
"Don't Cry Baby and "Careless Love' were sung by Bessie Smith and reminds me of New Orleans and the jazz of life.
"No More" sung by Billie Holiday brings us the reminder of love and tragedy.
"Between the bars" is a tribute to Elliott Smith and his remarkable songs and tragic life.
"Don't Wait Too Long" is an original song with Jesse Harris Jesse Harris helped Norah Jones with her first
successful album.
"J'ai Deux Amours" sung by Josephine Baker in her particular French drama.
"Weary Blues" sung by Hank Williams is a true country flavor.
"I'll Look Around" a Billie Holiday favorite.
"Lonesome Road" has a background of gospel and folk.
"This Is Heaven To Me" gives us a feeling of freedom and life.
Madeleine Peyroux will be a name to be reckoned with. Her voice and timing with her words and music brings us a fresh clear view of life. Wonderful CD and highly recommended. prisrob

5.0 out of 5 stars Original artist, new definition of "easy listening", 30 Oct 2006
This review is from: Careless Love (Audio CD)
When I heard Peyroux' delicious tempo on her re-interpretation of "J'ai deux amours" and those delightful piano sounds on it, I was lost.

And who would dare to cover Leonard Cohen's "Dance Me to the End of Love"? But she succeeds and makes it her own.

Madeleine Peyroux has a marvellous "timeless" voice that brings you in another world or time. She creates a wonderful, warm and smooth jazzy atmosphere, with a country touch, indeed like Norah Jones, despite many differences too. And the occasional hammond organ is adorable!

Yet let's not forget that you either adore or hate this kind of voice, there is no way in between.

Many sweeeeet songs, not necessarily world class, but highly entertaining nevertheless. Redefines "EASY listening": very easy and pleasing to the ear. Always gives me a happy feeling!

But the top of all for me is "I'll Look Around", a touching superslow jazz ballad with remarkable phrasing, which, in my opinion, beats Billie Holiday's original! And I'd like to mention the very nice lyrics of this song too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and enchanting album by Madeleine Peyroux., 15 Oct 2006
film fan (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Careless Love (Audio CD)
I purchased this album because I wanted to find out for myself what she was like. I heard her being played on the Michael Parkinson show on Radio 2 and thought I just had to buy it.

I'm so glad I did. This is an astonishing and superb album full of outstanding arrangements and incredible singing by Miss Peyroux. I think that the songs that stand out for me are 'Dance Me To The End Of Love', 'You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go', 'Don't Wait Too Long' and the end track, 'This Is Heaven To Me'.

In fact, I found that all the tracks on here are all classics in their own right and they are given a fresh and tantalising spin by the sheer tranquillity and relaxing sound from this nightingale's voice. To me, she sounds like someone from the 1930's, 1940's era.

This is an album I can never get tired of. I can just sit back and listen to this album and let the sound of the wonderful instrumentation and vocals sweep me out to sea as they come through the speakers. I also own her latest album, the sensational 'Half The Perfect World'. Both of these albums are quite sensational in their own right. This one is a joy and a gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, smooth and swinging, 30 Oct 2004
Johan Fr Knudsen "JFBK" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Careless Love (Audio CD)
A voice smooth as honey,with a swinging band in the background. A perfect gift to any jazz lover. Thanks that there still exists singers at the level of Ella and Billie.

5.0 out of 5 stars heaven to me, 28 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Careless Love (Audio CD)
I'm not a jazz fan, but browsing in a record store, the familiar lyrics of Dylan's 'You're gonna make me lonesome' (track 4) cut through and hooked me into the rest of this very fine album. Now it's a favourite and more than worth the entry price for those not familiar with Ms Peyroux. Just relax and let the wonderful smoky voice do its stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars woweeeeeeeeeee, 11 April 2005
J. K. Marie "daisywooks" (Scottish Borders) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Careless Love (Audio CD)
This CD is fantastic. I do not like all female jazz singers but this is amazing. It reminds me of Ella Fitzgerald. Very easy listening. Dinner party music, romantic meal music and chilling music!!! Its mellow like Norah Jones but a very different voice. Its a very definite 5 stars.