5.0 out of 5 stars Actually, this is the first half of season four.
Published on 16 Aug. 2008 by Lawrence Mikkelsen

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, not the best ever
I'm a real fan of sci-fi, and a big fan of this show, but I found this season very slow to take off. The "spiritual"/"destiny" element was so overwhelming in the early episodes that (romantic, chick-flick girl that I am) I found myself longing for a couple of dog-fights and explosions! I still can't come to terms with Lee Adama as a besuited politician. I'm sick of Kara...
Published on 21 Nov. 2008 by Baby Boot Camp

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually, this is the first half of season four., 16 Aug. 2008
Lawrence Mikkelsen (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
Calling this season four is a misnomer. It's actually only the *first half* of season four. (Season four was derailed because of the writers' strike last year, and remaining half of the season - the last 10 or 11 episodes - will screen in early 2009.) I'd rate the actual content of the episodes as a solid five stars ... but I wouldn't buy this box set. I'll happily wait until 2009 and get the whole of season four in one package.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little more information...after internet investigation, 2 Sept. 2008
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
For those people (like me) who didn't realise this is half a season I have found out the following:

This is the first 10 episodes.
The last 10 episodes will be released in the UK under the title of 'Season 5' (hence the 'Season 4' title of this one).

This UK release will also include 'Razor' (although I can't find any confirmation of whether it will be the extended version of 'Razor'). It will also included deleted scenes and a sneak peak of the 2nd half of the season.

If, like me, you haven't bought Razor yet then this is still a good way of getting your BSG fix. Especially as I'm getting this as a birthday present.

Having now received this item:
This set contains:
The first 10 episodes of Season Four.
The EXTENDED VERSION of Razor (including commentary, deleted scenes and minisodes).
A sneak peek trailer of Season 5 (really 4.1) (which is not worth the disc space)
A whole bunch of deleted scenes from each episode.

Unlike others I was unable to buy Razor earlier - so the inclusion of the extended edition here is absolutely brilliant.
I also did NOT want to wait another year simply so have this season in a single box.
I'd rather watch these excellent 10 episodes NOW and wait for the final 10 until next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Come on guys!, 3 Oct. 2008
Bill Austin Jr. "Lovecraft" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
While i totally agree that it is a little deceptive the way the product is marketed, everyone who enjoys BSG knows that the final ten episodes still haven't been shown on terrestrial tv in the US yet so why would they be available. it's all down to the writer's strike and to be honest the writers have done a really good job with the ten episodes here. Razor is on teh first disc together with commentaries and let's face it, it's still one of if not the best Sci-fi shows around. I know it's a pain it's only half of season 4, or if you want Season 4.0 but the content is excellent and come on guys, who won;t be chomping at the bit to see what happens in the final ten episodes. Once you see the episode 'Revelations' you will be wondering how on Earth (or Caprica) they can end it nicely with the last ten. i for one will be really sad to see the end of this show but I'm enjoying it while it's on and this 4 disc set sits nicely while I wait for the last episodes. 5 stars all the way although it's only the first half of season 4, it says it on the box, if you;re not happy then you can wait but personally I just couldn't. Anyway enjoy the show, definitely 5 stars for the show!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky box, fantastic series, 24 Feb. 2009
J. Kristensen "Vad" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
I watched the two first seasons on bittorrent download, but when the box sets of whole seasons was suddenly so reasonably priced I just knew I had to have it.

For the quirks: like so many others have said this is a half season, although it does have the entire Razor. I didn't notice this initially and bought Razor separately. This should have been announced more clearly. Hence the 4 stars.

Otherwise I like these box sets. They're really slim (which is immensely practical), in a very decent quality. I'd say a fairly flawless execution, considering the only really negative thing would be that the DVD covers slide around a bit because they're very smooth. (Not too bad, huh?)

My worst realization was that there's a half season still in the works. I just finished Season 4 yesterday and now I'm getting those nasty flashbacks to when I was waiting for the Peacekeeper Wars (Farscape).

Clearly, since this is the last real season the stakes are upped and things get really wild. It's just amazing how everything shifts around and how some of the characters really get a chance to shine. Adama/Olmos, of course, gets sooo much great airtime and it's just a joy to watch. What really caught me completely off guard was the performance of Saul Tigh/Hogan ... oh frak me! What a performance. It was also about time that we got more under the skin of Roslin/McDonnell who, I think, has often been an underdeveloped figurehead in terms of her motivation, her likes and dislikes. Kara Thrace/Sackhoff also has a rather strong (half) season that really moves the character from frakked up steelheaded viper to ... something else. And Gaius Baltar/Callis? I wouldn't know where to begin regarding his transformations. There are times he's more despicable than Gollum and ... and something really despicable. But could anyone maintain that image for long in BSG season 4? Good thing that at least the Cylons are nailed down pretty much, right? Guys?

I'm really amazed how this show has gotten under my skin. It's just such a brilliant show, and I would say it's in my private Top 3 of the all-time best sci-fi show (Star Trek and Farscape being the others - and since I haven't cracked the SG-1 pack yet).

4.0 out of 5 stars Battlestart Galactica Season Four, 15 Feb. 2009
If you have followed this series from the beginning you will no doubt be wondering if the fourth and last series of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica will be able to maintain the standard set by Series One to Three. Of course, this is not the season that the Sci-fi Channel originally planned - the writer's strike put paid to that - but considering the newspaper reports at the time suggesting that shows were either cancelled or curtailed, I think BSG fans are lucky that season four was made at all, especially considering the rumours that it was going to be canned after Series Three! It would have been a shame to end this groundbreaking series prematurely, which allegedly happened to Farscape (but not due to a writer's strike), and come up with an ending that was completely unsatisfactory from the auidence's point of view. At least the end of Series Three neatly tied up most of the plot lines so if the rumour had been true the fans would not have been left with a completely unexplained void.
One thing though, this DVD set includes the extended feature Razor, which has been released separately. I cannot say if the two are identical, but according to the blurb on the version I have of the earlier release it is an `Exclusive Edition' with unseen footage. Bonus material is given on discs one and four; on disc one there is a commentary to Razor that also appears on the exclusive edition and undermines its exclusivity, and a prequel story about William Adama in ten 3-minute minisodes and like Razor seems to be a digression from the main plotline. While on disc four there are a couple of deleted scenes, which doesn't interest everyone and what is billed as a `sneak peak at the final season'. I wouldn't bother if I were you; it's less than a minute and doesn't really tell you anything being a puff for Sky Television.
Back to Series Four: the scripts, the acting and production values are just the same as before, with the main character actors putting on their ultra egos like a glove, and in one sense I think could have been a problem. In this (half) series there seems to be fewer nuggets of character back-story to enable the actors to show new facets of those they portray. Like why did Kara Thrace (Katee Sackhoff) suddenly change her mind about taking the whole of her command following Leoben's offer to join forces with the Cylons? And what of Admiral Adama's (Edward James Olmos) sudden realisation that his actions were putting the fleet in danger, what brought that about? Both of these characters are supposed to be cool calculating officers of a battle hardened military force, who care about the men and women under their command, and I cannot see these irrational actions happening without good reason. Don't let these little niggles put you off however, as I said the acting is at least on par with the previous three series, in particular the distress Katee Sackhoff displayed in "Six of One". Whatever it was Sackhoff dragged up from her memories to feel that way, I do not want to go there. I also thought the way James Callis took Dr. Baltar over the line from non-believer to believer via the uncertainties of scepticism was well handled but felt a little sadness at the demise of his Jesus-like appearance. Perhaps with the US being a more religious nation than the UK, someone in the Sci-fi Channel thought it might be considered blasphemous if they continued with it! Whatever. There is less interaction between Baltar and the imaginary Caprica Six in this series than in the previous three, which was great fun, nor do I think they've really explored the intriguing concept of the captured Caprica Six seeing an imaginary Gaius Baltar enough either! And I have to mention the underplayed confusion felt by Galen Tyrol (Aaron Douglas) through the series, given what happens, was just right.
The main theme for this half of the series explores the difficulties of developing trust and peace between once bitter enemies. For the US writers of the show they probably had in mind Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq, while we Brits may not only be thinking of the last two named but of Northern Ireland too, which has cost all sides so much in wrecked and prematurely ended lives. Of course, Baltar's one God religion among the humans in an otherwise polytheistic society is not the only Biblical analogy in the series. Indeed the whole thing is the re-telling of the story about the exodus of the Jews from Egypt and now they have found their promised land not full of milk and honey, what are the humans and the Cylons going to do, that's the question?
Overall, I think this is a good yarn told well in an enjoyable, dramatic form. This is not to say that it is perfect by any means and in every series there are times when the story seems to be more than just flat. However, I feel that it is unwise for writers to keep the actors and the audience in a highly tense state all of the time and probably impossible anyway. But whatever faults there are these can easily be glossed over as you suspend belief for the duration of the episode. So am I happy with my purchase? In balance, yes I am. Am I looking forward to the release of Season Five, or if you prefer, part two of Season Four? That's a really silly question!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Feb. 2009
I am simply going to review the quality of what is actually 'within' the boxset as it has already been touched on by many that this is NOT the complete season.

Simply put, the first 10 episodes of Season 4 are fantastic. Although I enjoyed Season 3, I did find it to be the weakest, particularly as things seemed to slow down. Season 4 really picks up the pace, and despite being less action-packed than earlier on in the show, each episode is a real eye opener. The episodes include:

- He That Believeth in Me
- Guess What's Coming to Dinner
- Sine Qua Non
- The Hub
- Revelations

The first DVD includes the movie 'Razor' which fits in perfectly between Season 3 and 4. If you have yet to see this, you are in for a treat. I thought it was excellent. Also included are the mini-episodes of Razor Flashbacks, most of the scenes of which are from Razor.

Although this is only half a season I still think it is worth owning, until perhaps a complete season is released, as it contains just as much content as Season 1, is at a new low price, and is, simply put, excellent viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end to a great series - no spoilers, 11 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Battlestar Galactica - The Final Season (Season 4, Part Two) [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
For tbe first 2 seasons of BSG I couldn't really see the fuss. I watched the whole thing on DVD and the first two seasons took me 2 years. I only occasionally watched an episode and rarely felt compelled to watch another straight away. There were high points, particularly the stand-off with Pegasus. But I didn't feel particular intrigued or interested in the characters.

But the slog was worth it because the character development in those first two seasons were essential for the immense satisfaction from Season 3 onwards. The complex multi-layered plots, fascinating characters, mystery. It has everything. I watched the final 3 seasons in about a month.

No spoilers here. Just to say for those in doubt, the final revelations are worth the wait. Most of the questions are resolved in a satisfying finale but it still remains fairly enigmatic.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best programme on TV today, 6 Oct. 2008
Niccolo65 (Aberdeenshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I wish everyone would give it a rest, we all know that only half of series 4 has been on TV, and no sane and reasonable person would expect that somehow, the very last episodes of this series, which were held up because of the writers' strike in America and have not been shown on TV anywhere, would somehow (as if by magic) be on this DVD release. Get real!

I absolutely fail to see why Amazon, who did not commission, fund, or release these DVDs, can possibly be deserving of the ill will found on these reviews. This product has become available. Amazon, like many other shops, both online and on the high street, are selling it. (At a discounted price too.) What's wrong with that? Absolutely nothing. Nothing at all.

If anyone doesn't want to buy the DVDs of the programmes that have already been shown now, and prefer to wait for the rest of the series to arrive on TV, and later on DVD, that's fair enough. To criticise Amazon here though is quite juvenile, and to complain that programmes which have never been seen on TV anywhere are not on this DVD set is just silly.

People putting in one star reviews for either of those reasons can be safetly ignored, because they say nothing at all about the quality of the product itself. And THAT is what anyone reading a review of the product is interested in.

On that note then: This is a great programme, one of the greatest ever made, and at under £2.50 per episode, this is a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series, definitely worth buying (and please ignore those 1-star reviews!), 6 Oct. 2008
Gary Ridge (Galway, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is one of my favourite seasons of Battlestar Galactica, season 2 being the best yet in my opinion. The comments with one-star ratings are very inapproriate and misleading in relation to the quality of the show. Sure, this is actually the first half of season 4, but Playback have chosen to package it as Season 4, full stop. It's printed on the box. This isn't Amazon's fault. Rating it with one star is stupid in my opinion, especially when you read some of these "reviews", where people admit that they haven't even watched it yet!

I'd prefer to buy this as a full season boxset like the previous releases, but the fact remains that only 10 episodes have been shown this year, so they decided to release it as a boxset for fans in time for Christmas. There's no obligation to buy for people who want the full season. The remaining episodes will be released on DVD next year, after they have actually been shown on TV, and will probably be made available in several editions (maybe as season 4 part 2, or maybe they'll call it season 5 - it's the same difference - as well as being included in the inevitable complete series boxset). Just be glad the 10 episodes are available to buy now, if you think it's too pricey or whatever you don't have to buy. Personally I think it's a reasonable price, and well worth paying for. It's far better than season 3, with an amazing story arc and edge-of-your-seat action. This is must-see sci-fi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything that has a beginning has an end., 29 Mar. 2010
I. R. Barnes "*technobabble*" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
So the epic re-imagined BSG saga comes to an end and despite a few flaws here and there the series as a whole was top class television. It quickly developed a voice of it's own with its own unique story to tell, silencing the cynics who dismissed it as just another remake. Unlike other numerous recent television shows it told a coherent story and didn't throw in ridiculous twists and turns and pull the rug from under your feet just for the sake of it. Sure there were surprises and revelations but they were always delivered deftly and timely and always felt right, you always knew that you were ultimately heading somewhere - an ending!

This final series and particularly the final episode seem to have divided opinions, but for me it could not have ended any other way, the ending we have was always coming.

One of the aspects about the show that really appealed to me, and I'm not religious at all, was its mysterious religious and spiritual nature and the notion that God was ultimately behind everything. This spiritual aspect was so refreshing and interesting and elevated the show above the trappings of normal sci-fi.

I'm glad that the writers' didn't always go down the 'lets explain everything with science' route like Star Trek always did or employed over-used scientific explanations, like time-travel (no one ever gets time-travel stories right anyway!). The final few scenes of the final episode defy conventions and expectations, and despite a few open ended questions here and there (which I actually like, I hate being spoon-fed explanations!) at least it reached a conclusion.

Other reviewers have also commented that the show overall was dull and unexciting, well I always suggest watching certain episodes again and re-evaluating that assessment, the Pegasus and Exodus episodes for example are some of the most exciting television you will ever see!

Overall the re-imagined BSG series is a triumph, I just hope Caprica can live up to the quality.

Battlestar Galactica - The Final Season (Season 4, Part Two) [DVD] [2009]