5.0 out of 5 stars Footsteps
When I heard Chris was recording a 'Covers' Album, my immediate reaction was a mixture of anticipation: which songs would he choose to record, and trepidation: would he carry it off.

As I listened to the Album, anticipation turned to delight and trepidation to elation. Once again, the Master produced a Masterpiece.

The artwork on the Album is first...
Published on 18 Mar 2009 by Jacqueline L. Ebner

3.0 out of 5 stars Second hand?
Published 12 months ago by Swanning About

5.0 out of 5 stars Footsteps, 18 Mar 2009
Jacqueline L. Ebner "Musicjay" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Footsteps (Audio CD)

The artwork on the Album is first class with a lovely glossy booklet containing, not only all the lyrics, but gorgeous pictures of Chris.

Firststeps leads us gently in to Chris' musical journey with an haunting piano solo and echoing voice from Chris. Very quickly we are transported to

Turn, Turn, Turn, which is the new single from the Album. This is lively with wonderful guitar rhythms, very catchy and is very well sung with lovely harmonies.

The Long and Winding Road has a beautiful piano accompaniment, fabulous orchestration and sung with a feeling that other Artists fail to do.

Africa is just sensational. It clearly highlights the depth and breadth of Chris' vocal range. Again, beautiful harmonies. This song has to be heard to be appreciated.

Without You is sung with such feeling and, in my opinion, probably the most difficult song to emulate. Chris' version is absolutely wonderful. You can hear the passion in his voice and when he hits the top note, shivers run down my spine.

Where Have All The Flowers Gone is another well known song. However, the words, from other Artist who have recorded it, seem to be lost. Not so with Chris. Once again the listener can hear the feeling and passion in his voice. The pace of the song is perfect, allowing us to really hear the lyrics and feel the true meaning of the song.

Sealed With A Kiss Chris draws the listener in to the heart of the song. He sings it as if he is actually singing to you. I love the song and his enunciation, especially the most important word in the song.........kiss.

Blackbird appears to be quite a simple song, sung with his son Hubie on Guitar. The Guitar playing is wonderful, clear, musical and with appropriate crescendos and rits. Not an easy task as the Guitarist has to move energetically up and down the fret board, with constantly changing timings and rhythms, as the listener can clearly hear, making it a much more intimate sound. Coupled with Chris' voice, it is a beautiful interpretation.

We Can Work It Out Personally I didn't like this song sung by the Beatles. However, Chris' version is, in my opinion, less harsh and I definitely prefer it. The more I listen, the more I like it.

All Along The Watchtower is a song unfamiliar to me. On listening to it, with fresh ears, I can see how it was such an influence in his musical journey as a songwriter.

Corrina, Corrina is another song I hadn't heard before. I just love it. Wonderful Guitar accompaniment and melody.

Polly Von is also new to me, however, I loved it the first time I heard it. Perfect for Chris. Another very believable performance, sung with heart and soul and telling a very sad story, which is Chris' forte.

American Pie is probably the most well known of all the songs. I have heard Chris sing this many times before, usually on his own. It is nice to hear it with full backing, vocally as well as instrumentally.

The Last Thing On My Mind is probably my favourite on the Album. The feeling with which Chris sings this song actually had me in tears. He really sings as if he means everything he is singing and not just going through the motions. Beautiful Guitar accompaniment once again with subtle orchestration in the background. Simple but very, very effective.

Footsteps ends the musical journey faultlessly. Chris gently coaxes our imagination to walk alongside him. Beautiful orchestration once again with a simple piano link leading to a wonderful guitar solo, culminating with full Orchestra and singing. Just Perfect.

In my opinion, Chris has chosen a good mix of songs, suited to his voice and style of singing, allowing him to show off his wonderful vocal range, musicality and passion for his craft.

He brings a freshness to, what are effectively, old songs. Re-inventing them with passion and vitality.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this Album.

There is one additional track for the UK only release called Rhythm of the Rain/Crying in the Rain which I have yet to hear in full.

For more information and sound clips, visit []

3.0 out of 5 stars Second hand?, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Footsteps (Audio CD)
This item arrived with no plastic outer wrapping and clear evidence of having been used (fingerprints and scratches on the case). Whilst this does not detract from the content provided by Mr deBurgh, it is still disappointing. If I had wanted a second-hand CD, I would have popped down to the local Charity Shop. As this is a Christmas present it's too late to risk returning it. Furthermore it's a stocking-filler for my wife so I will have to show the Amazon receipt to prove my defence or I will be searching Amazon for a Dog house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris de Burgh Footsteps Review, 18 Mar 2009
This review is from: Footsteps (Audio CD)
Footsteps is a unique collection of classic cover songs that have all contributed to making Chris de Burgh the brilliant singer/songwriter that he is today. They are also some of Chris's own personal favourites. The album is the 17th studio album released by Chris de Burgh. All these songs were recorded with full band or full orchestra.

It opens with a short track called 'First Steps' which is written by Chris himself and which is the intro to the whole album. Such classics such as 'Without You', 'Sealed With A Kiss', 'American Pie' and 'The Long And Winding Road' are all on this CD. For a full listing of all the songs please refer to the track listing in the description of the album. There is one track called Blackbird that features Chris's eldest son Hubie playing guitar.

Chris has done a unique interpretation of the classic 'Where Have All The Flowers Gone'? and it really makes you sit up and listen to the lyrics and you can literally see a mini film in your head as Chris sings the song. Of course a lot of Chris de Burgh's songs evoke mini films within your imagination. My own personal favourites of this album are 'Sealed With A Kiss' 'The Long And Winding Road' 'The Last Thing On My Mind' 'Where Have All The Flowers Gone' and 'Without You'. The last track is another new Chris de Burgh song and is called 'Footsteps'. This kind of finishes off the album with a song which starts very gently, and talks about all the songs he's loved along the way, the faces he's seen along the way, people and places , and then the lyrics fade and it slowly builds up to a powerful instrumental section before it fades away with Chris singing again. All in all this is another brilliant CdeB album. Total length is 47 minutes long, and is very good value for money. I totally recommend this album. There is nothing to dislike on this album at all.

To hear some very good sound samples and watch a 15 minute promo video please visit Chris de Burgh's official site. You can find this if you google his name. It will be the first site listed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest appraisal, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Footsteps (Audio CD)
I was absolutely bowled over by this CD. I have been a follower of Chris De Burgh since he first came to the fore - can't remember the year - but I so enjoyed this CD. He managed the impossible - to make covers as good and in some cases better than the originals. Where they were absolute standards he gave them his own treatment and made them equal to the original. The excitement still remains in his performance and took me back to his show in Penshurst many years ago. I am hooked again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not your best Chris, 22 April 2009
This review is from: Footsteps (Audio CD)
Mr Ess (followed, I presume, by the letters HIT?) - how you can accuse anyone else of smugness is beyond me. Your writing excels only in its pretentiousness. You evidently find yourself very clever and amusing but nobody else does. If you do not like an album, fine, but do not insult the artist or patronise those who appreciate him. Look at what you have achieved in your own life - I venture to suggest, very little.

Turning to the album, (1) Chris de Burgh is a truly great songwriter in his own right and (2) there is little point in covering songs unless you can improve or refresh them. Chris fails to do that as he simply adopts the style of the original artist. The album might have worked better if it had contained live versions of the songs.

As to the selection, well that is a matter for different views - there are some I love here (The Last Thing, Winding Road, Where have All The Flowers Gone?) and then there is "Sealed With A Kiss" which is nauseating and will simply confirm people in their view of Chris that he only sings love songs (Lady in Red, Missing You etc.

This is not my favourite CdeB album and comes as a disappoinment after two stunning ones - Road To Freedom and Storyteller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Album of covers, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Footsteps (Audio CD)
He covers a wide variety of songs and does it well, I'm not sure that he needs to do that when he writes such fantastic songs himself.

3.0 out of 5 stars its ok, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Footsteps (Audio CD)
its ok again not realy one of my good days choosing this..
i woudent rate it that high..
Its bease if you hear some tracks before purchase..
then make own mind up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, reminds me of driving through the country side with my dad when I was young., 28 Nov 2013
Mr. A. P. Hall (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Footsteps (Audio CD)
Great condition, and wonderful tunes. I Really enjoy Chris De Burgh, theres a bit of everything in on these CD's for all to enjoy. .

5.0 out of 5 stars Footsteps, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Footsteps (Audio CD)
I have been a Chris De Bergh fan for over 20 years and this cd is just as good as the first one I ever bought - I always like to buy his cd's as his singing is so unique and recognisable when you hear his voice. I know Lady in Red is not Chris' favourite song but it was after hearing this song I became a fan of his and will continue to buy his cd's whenever he issues one. Most of my friends also like his music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excelent for listen to on the road, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Footsteps (Audio CD)
A good collection of songs that show ho talented this man is.
So many people who travel with me love to hear this CD

Footsteps
Footsteps by Chris De Burgh (Audio CD - 2009)