4.0 out of 5 stars Performs very well
I've used the Solar Gorilla for four months and thought it was time to share my experience.

The Solar Gorilla was bought to charge several of my portable batteries. These batteries are then used to charge a multitude of low voltage devices (5V-12V) which, at the moment, seemed to be permanently plugged into the mains. This procedure may seem rather cumbersome,...
Published on 24 Aug 2012 by John C

1.0 out of 5 stars useless
I would give this no stars if I could but amazon won't let me. It is useless. I live in Northern Portugal and as you might expect we get a lot of sun here. The solar panel is hopeless though. It doesn't charge or power laptops, it wouldn't charge my ipod and it barely charged my Nokia phone by 1 bar after a whole day in the sun. Furthermore, I bought it through a...
Published on 30 April 2012 by luke

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Solar Gorilla disappoints, 11 Oct 2009
This review is from: Powertraveller Solargorilla 5V and 20V Solar Portable Charger (Electronics)
This product did not match the hype that preceded it. The panels themselves are sturdy and compact and were unthreatened by our bike ride across Tanzania/Kenya, but beyond that all was a disappointment. The connections all arrive in a very clearly labelled plastic container. Take them out and 1) you lose the labelling (although most of the individual connectors are marked if you look closely)and 2) there is nowhere to store them. There is no way anyone will keep them in the original packaging - how did the mfrs not think of that? Then we found that a good proportioon of our electonic items weren't compatible. There was no connection to my (very basic) African phone and none for 2 of our cameras. Most importantly, we were all disappointed by the results when trying to use it. A four hour afternoon stop allowed an i-Pod recharge but that was all we accomplished in 2 weeks. This is possibly because we were travelling constantly but there is no information to let us know what to expect and whether we were asking too much of it. The instructions took brevity below usefulness. It is possible that the unit simply was malfunctioning. When open (whether charging or not) we got a red, not a green, light. There is, according to the instructions, no such thing as a red light.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not to specifications, 27 Aug 2009
The Solar gorilla lap Top charger does not infact charge the Laptop. It only charges da phones. I have a new Del Inspiron Laptop 12 inch, but has fail to charge and yet iam in a dry belt where temperatures range between 35c to 40c.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously disappointing, 8 Oct 2009
isisk "isisk" (London, England, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this with a view to cutting down my family's energy usage and being environmentally friendly. Sadly it is seriously ineffectual in England in the Autumn, despite the sunshine. I just hope it works better next summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars power traveller, 26 Dec 2013
very good buy present for my son who lives in Kenya will prove invaluable to him, he loves it yeah

5.0 out of 5 stars Solar Gorilla EXELLENT! Needs To be 7 Stars not 5?, 21 April 2012
As a Treker and Long Distance Walker This is The Best Soler Charging Device I have Bought To Date, Not Only Dose it Come Equiped with a Storage Cover, But a Full Set of 2 Metre Leads and a Fine Sellection of Adapters and Plugs, Plus The Folding Pannel its Self, Great For Charging The Lap-Top Anywhere!, My Next Purchase Will Be 2x Power Gorilla Batteries To Invcrease The Power and Length of Computer Usage When Away! All I Need Now is a Better Dongle and Signal Reseaver & Booster!

1.0 out of 5 stars A total DECEPTION, be careful, 19 July 2010
I bought the product a couple of months ago when the weather in UK was cool. As I received the product. I checked it with my mobile phone, it worked well. When I attached it to my toshiba satellite pro A120 laptop while running on battery, I was suprized that the laptop power option was showing now running on AC, however, after a few minutes, I found my laptop battery charge was deminishing. I waited for the summer to come and see how it works in full sunshine to exploit its full capacity. A total disappointment. As I put it in direct sunlight and plugged into my laptop, at first it was charging my laptop but after a few minutes when it was warmed up in the sun for a while,it caused my laptop to auto shutdown. And this happened consistantly each time causing my laptop to shutdown as and when I plugged it into my latop after being put for a while in direct sun. It goes wrong when it is put in direct sunlight due to heating of its panels. If you want to use it in winter it might work but it is definitely not suitable for summer months (even not for a UK summer which comparatively cool). But the real problem is that you dont get good sunlight in winter. It is in summer when the sun light is at its best. I dont know whether it becomes short-circuited or some other abnormality occurs when it is put in strong sunlight for a while. Each time I had to remove my laptop battery to turn it on after it was shutdown by the solargorilla. Unfotunately, no warranty is offered with this product, so I cant return it. It is just a waste of money. I have contacted powertraveller about this. They suggested to use some shield with it to protect it from hot sun. Can you believe it? A product that is made to harvest light energy to make electricity needs to be protected from strong sunshine. It is just rediculous.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›