on 24 March 2006
BOC will never better this album in my opinion. It is a perfect album, in form and function. The bands recent work hasn't equalled this album for me, as a whole this album is close to perfection. In terms of describing the sound, think moody and emotional electronica. I love the hip-hop influenced beats on this album, the first time I listened to An Eagle In Your Mind and Telephasic Workshop I was mesmerised, I kept replaying the 2 tracks endlessly. Their recent albums have never quite recaptured the same beat and percussive influence of this album...but bear in mind their entire body of work to date, which is huge, is all of an incredibly high standard when compared to all but a handful of producers in the whole electronic genre. If you buy one BOC album, buy this one.
on 10 October 2002
THIS album has some strange, spiritual connection with nostalgia that I can't quite put my finger on. If you grew up in the late 70's/early 80's and remember how eery synthesisers occupied just about everything on television, then you would understand. Just check out the pounding moogs on Roygbiv, remniscent of the 'video nasty' era horror films, for proof. If you grew up in the times of wild life nature documentaries, video nasties, and open university (also a technological break through era which introduced videos, video games and synthesisers on anything that moved) then listening to songs like Olson, Pete Standing Alone, Smokes Quantity, Open the Light and Kaini Industries will really take you back- its nostalgia in the most purest, organic and authentic possible way. It evokes strange little childhood memories like Speak n' Spells, Atari Games Systems, the green cross code (!) adverts about the dangers of telegraph poles and handy technological gadgets that are in fact the size of breezeblocks. So much so that it saves you seeing embarassing photos of yourself wearing grey A Team T shirts and mullets and parker coats. Olson, in partcular, is the most effective, beautiful and hypnotic 1 and a half min track I've ever heard. A very hypnotic album, best played as you stare out the window on a neutrally sunny day; the sun is beginning to set- and you try to piece together moments of your life in the past when innocence and niavity were cherished, when you didn't feel the weight of the world crush your spirit. Thats whats so effective about this album- it's pure escapism, and once you've sensed these feelings (if you do at all) then you'll keep coming back for more.
11 comment|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2005
Labelled as being as important an album for the Intelligent Digital Music scene as label mate Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85 - 92 landmark, Music Has The Right To Children still sounds as fresh today as it did on its original release back in 1995. Loved by the critics, this album was was one of those 'growers' that never did explode onto the scene. Instead it found favour over time, appearing more and more in peoples CD collections as word of it spread from person to person, eventually settling in its rightful place at the top of the electronica tree.
I've heard Boards Of Canada described as the sound of electronica that Radiohead's dabble in electronica with Kid A should have been. True to form, guitar loving indie kids have found favour with the likes of Telephasic Workshop, getting lost in the hypnotic rhythms that seem to pulse from a near death BBC Radiophonic Workshop synthesiser. The 'less is more' ideal is at work here, with grinding mechanical hip hop beats and bass set against simple, gentle melodies and splintered samples. The best examples of this being the moody Sixtyten with its relentless, humming bass drum or Turquoise Hexagon Sun's gentle floating keys set against crispy beats and coffee house chatter.
Even though the general mood of the album can be described as melancholic, an icy chill out experience, its not a downbeat affair. The album has soothing short interludes scattered throughout it, the best being the triumphant Roygbiv. One of the shorter tracks off the album, the two minutes that it appears for are blissful and leaves you with a smile on your face. Those searching for a standout 'single' from this could do no worse than to head for the lazy funk of the Hair sampling Aquarius, which will have you chanting 'Orange!' to all your friends.
All in all, its a gorgeous album, read up about it and you'll find that everyone tends to agree on this. Music from the future that somehow manages to stir childhood memories from the past with familiar noises and moods. Its a more comfy affair to curl up inside than more recent efforts from the likes of other Warp artists Aphex Twin, Autechre and Plaid. Give it a blast, just try not to be hooked when the opener, An Eagle In Your Mind, starts to make the hair on your neck stand on end... it did for me and within a few weeks I made sure I owned the rest of the Boards back catalogue.
on 19 February 2004
When I first listened to this album, it passed me by without me really taking any of it in. This disappointed me, as I thought it meant that the album was bad, but as with all music, I gave it a second chance. Each time I listen to it now, I get something different from it, and I think it depends on what I am doing at the time. This album is best listened to when you are relaxed and can give time to it.
There is a similar quality to all the songs, yet you will have no problem telling where one ends and another begins. It's almost like watching a landscape slowly change over time, with each track representing a new day. One day there is a chill wind blowing, next there is fog, next there is a sunny haze, etc. This music is all about moods, and if you just sit and let it take you where it will you will get the most out of it.
on 5 July 2003
"THIS album has some strange, spiritual connection with nostalgia that I can't quite put my finger on". This is a comment from a previous review by jamalionerf above, and I totally agree. Something about this album connects you with your childhood. Its like a dream you enjoyed but cant remember or experiencing something new for the first time again, something thats just out of reach of your comprehension but you know its all going to be OK. Mixing deep bass sounds with ghostly samples that blend into something quite superb, this album draws you into a world of the tranquility. I own a lot of CD's, and have seen "Classic's" come and go, but no album, ever, has provided such entertainment as this. For me - this is the Album I was looking for all this time, thank you Boards Of Canada.
on 20 October 2007
As the gentle strains of `Wildlife Analysis' fade and the eerie synth tones of `An Eagle In Your Mind' begin to seep into your consciousness you sense that this record is something special.

And so it proves to be: `Music Has The Right To Children' conveys an extraordinary sense of atmosphere over its entire length. Using fuzzy analogue synths, samples, occasional spoken word samples and multi-layered beats, Boards of Canada transport you away from the present and into an alternative reality. Images of a 1970s childhood are evoked with a sense of nostalgia but also an air of menace and mystery - like a half-formed memory repressed but beginning to emerge.

If that last paragraph sounds like a load of pretentious nonsense please don't be put off listening to this wonderful record. It is a stunning mood piece that demands to be listened to as a whole, but it also features two at the very least glorious synth-pop moments in `Roygbiv' and `Aquarius'. In places `Music Has The Right To Children' displays a harder edge, such as the sub hip-hop beats of `Rue the Whirl' and the babble of cut-up voices and complex programming of the thrilling `Telephasic Workshop'.

Ultimately though, it is the slower, more atmospheric pieces of music that impress the most. `Turquoise Hexagon Sun' is mellow and beautiful, sounding like life viewed through a prism or fog whilst `Olsen' is so simple yet haunting, but there is no bad track on this album.

Easily the musical equal of its successor `Geogaddi', `Music Has The Right To Children' ably demonstrates why this act is so revered in the field of electronica.
on 29 January 2004
It would be easy to give this album a casual listen and dismiss it as a strange, disjointed experience. However the more I listen to it, the more I hear. Each song, like snowflakes, has tiny detail, being often moving, always fascinating. This album will take you, deliberately, to places in your mind and unlock hidden memories - just listen to ROYGBIV, an outstanding track, that will remind you of something, stirring both darkness and delight but in the most simple manner.
What is so important here though, is that BoC are prepared to go places rarely navigated but without ever sinking in unchartered waters. Music should be fresh, new, but with a sense of past experiences. Everything comes from something, and, after all, music has the right to children.
This album is electronic musical genius, and, hey, I usually listen to NIN.
on 13 December 2001
With this, the finest electro duo since Autechre turned in one of the most pleasingly unexpected albums of the 90's. The number of classic electro cuts on this album is staggering, from the Eno-esque opener "Wildlife Analysis" through to the seminal "Turquoise Hexagon Sun", the achingly beautiful "Roygbiv" (the only electro track to bring tears to my eyes) and the plain sampling wonder that is "Aquarius". This album (along with The Orb's "U.F.Orb", Autechre's "Incunabula" and naturally the Twins "Selected Ambient Works 85-92") represents the absolute finest in ambient electronica.
on 3 April 2007
It is a great piece of work, definitely. I am more inclined to like the more chaotic tracks (Nr.5 and 7) than the childlike ones though.

Unlike some of the reviewers the songs with children voices - these come across as not as amazing as the other ones for me - it's not an easy thing to experiment: in some of these tracks it just hasn't proved to be beneficial. Nevertheless, this album is def stunning.
on 12 August 2007
Six times in two weeks. That's how many times I've listened to this album since getting it. That's quite a lot, right? I guess it is. Also, I guess that means that I like it, and that I'm recommending you buy it? Well, of course I am.

This was my first encounter with Boards of Canada and I am definitely pleased we met. I am just getting into this sort of music (ambient, IDM, electronica) and I'm pretty glad this was one of the first albums of this kind that I invested in. The music is all over the place and there is bound to be something on here that you like, making it worth the purchase. Luckily, or more likely because of how good Boards of Canada are, there was plenty on here I liked.

But - and there are a couple of buts; I'm not giving it four stars after all - but, while a lot of what is to be found on this album is great, it doesn't all hit the mark. Now, I don't actually think that there are any bad tracks here, it's just some of them aren't all that memorable. Going through the track list on Amazon I can recall what more than half of them are like but some you do tend to forget later. This, though, is a bit of a minor thing when there are brilliant tracks like `An Eagle in your mind' `Aquarius' and the magnificent (but not quite life changing) `ROYGBIV'. The much hyped up `ROYGBIV' is certainly my favourite track on this album and likely it is a lot of peoples; just don't listen to it expecting it to be the greatest thing you've ever heard in your life.

So, all in all a great album. Four stars though because it's probably not gonna stop the world spinning and because I think there are definitely better within the genre. Definitely worth you buying though.