5.0 out of 5 stars Foverever Night
Published on 26 Oct. 2009 by El Diablo

Published 5 months ago by Zdenek Hanzlik

5.0 out of 5 stars Foverever Night, 26 Oct. 2009
What can I say that hasn't been said by the other reviews? Not much, except to completley agree. I've been a fan of Moonspell since Butterfly FX came out, catching a glimpse of how good they could be from a cd on Metal Hammer/Kerrang, I forget whiih, but neither seem to be worth much these days so it doesn't really matter. The album was bought that weekend, and loved from the first play. I know others will say it was not their best album, but for me, as a first listener, I loved it. I then bought the back catalog, enjoyinhg, maybe not as much as Butterfly, but there was still that golden hue of darkness from the vocals and the crunching, yet melodic guitars that filled with me with a love for the darker side of music that was only sated by the brilliance that is Moonspell.
I've loved each album since on their own merits, some more than others, but Night Eternal was something different. Still with Fernando's amazingly melodic, yet in a heartbeat change to roar, that just took it to another level, so much that to be honest, even with my love for the previous albums, it leaves them a little pale.
I just want to see what they do with the next album, can it even get close to Night Eternal? I hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome career best from Portugal's #1 rock band..!, 30 May 2008
Lexx (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
Quite simply, I wasn't expecting 'Night Eternal' to be as good as this. Don't misunderstand me, I love Moonspell, but the previous LP, 'Memorial' just didn't quite 'do it' for me. I began to think that, perhaps, like many of the other Euro-Metal juggernauts of the 90's ( such as Cradle, Emperor, Dimmu, Therion, Samael, et al. ) that they had run out of steam, and that their most interesting material was behind them.
However, because Moonspell have always experimented with style and sound in the past, it may be why this astonishingly powerful return to their Black Metal roots sounds so fresh. And now that they've had a chance to 'bed in' at their new label, this new release reminds me why I so enjoyed those 90's bands in the first place.
To begin with, the production is ENORMOUS. Again, I would suggest playing this out of a good set of speakers before you transfer to MP3. The album starts with a rousing atmospheric intro ( with what sounds like Natacha Atlas vocal samples - very tasteful ), and launches into the breakneck Symphonic BlackThrash of 'At Tragic Heights', which will have you involuntarily raising the horned salute in your living room - yes, it's that great. Next comes the morbid and crushing 'Night Eternal', and the album pretty much carries on in the same vein from there, with no let up in quality or intensity.
Of great interest to all Goth Metallers is the inclusion of The Gathering's wonderful siren Anneke Van Giersbergen on backing vocals during 'Scorpion Flower'. This is a guaranteed stadium-pleaser ( think of 'Bring Me To Life' and you'll know what I mean ), and will have goth chicks and grizzled rockers alike either sobbing into their beers or waving their lighters in the air with a misty-eyed expression. Anneke's voice is so crystalline and innocent, it reminds you why everyone fell in love with 'Night-Time Birds' and 'Mandylion'.
One advantage that Moonspell have, is that their charismatic frontman, Fernando Ribeiro - a supremely demonic growler - can actually SING, so his crooning on 'Scorpion Flower' and also the beautiful 'Dreamless', give the LP light and shade which many of their peers cannot match. The entire disk balances melody with heaviosity from start to finish.
Basically, if you like your music dark, sensual, mysterious and powerful, buy this now. Fans of classic Cradle or Dimmu take note: This is so, SO much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eternal Moonspell, 27 Aug. 2008
I was lucky enough to have my boss buy me this album as lil surprise. I have all the other albums and have loved Moonspell for years...and then came Night Eternal...and blew them straight up in my books. The album is so well thought out and genius. I saw the videofor Scorpion Flower and was not exactly blown away as I thought of it as a bit of a Cradle of Filth Nymphetamine afterthought...but the song has grown on me and it is brilliant. Back to the album... just plain and simple...potent, powerfull and beautiful from the first note to the last. Stand out tracks for me: At Tragic Heights, Night Eternal, Dreamless, First Light(one of my fav songs ever). I would still say Antidote is my favourite...but this is right up there with it!

1.0 out of 5 stars After spel in Lunatic assylum and NZ Prisons , refreshing, full of such tattoed wardens who do their duty as a paid performance., 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Night Eternal (Audio CD)
Well If would be Muslim Patriots from ISIS doing such Maglajz as those artists then I would join Foreign legion . Why ? they still sing when marching. I often find that outrageous performances are usually outpours of rather ordinary screwed up little people- who fake themselves, naturally. How far away they are from ordinary existence - but it may work as a gauge for incredible darkness of the universe what is good to make a noise about but never enter vicinity. Higgs boson lyric. The supplier 2000UK did 5 star job thanks.

Night Eternal [VINYL]
Night Eternal [VINYL] by Moonspell (Vinyl - 2010)