Format: Vinyl|Change

on 29 March 2012
...hard act to follow.

Kamelot's Ghost Opera follows the impressive ,The Black Halo: Limited Edition and doesn't quite measure up.

The production feels sloppy, there are far too many filler tracks, and the lyrics are uninspiring; with the exception of 'Anthem.' But it's a long wait to get to that track.

It does, admittedly, slowly grow on you, but I've become used to Kamelot albums that grab you by the scruff of the neck and don't let go until you've travelled near the full spectrum of human emotions. This album does not deliver there at all, stuck in maudlin gloom 95% of the time.
on 30 May 2010
I got introduced to Kamelot by my children, demonstrating the two way aspect that we have with music these days. I bought the album after listening to MP3s and watching the various You Tube clipos that exists - and its great. The band have a real drama about them and the mix of Roy Khan's almost operatic vocals with a powerful heavy rock backline creates a very powerful sound. An eastern feel to some of the tracks gives it another dimension. There are a lot of good tracks on the album, but stand out for me are Rule the World, Ghost Opera and Silence of the Darkness.

Having bought the album, I went to see the band at a London gig recently - equally impressive. Good stuff and a favourite with the whole family!
on 1 July 2010
Having brought 'Epica' and 'The Black Halo', I was wondering how this album would compare... It isn't the same storyline as the two previous albums but despite not having a plot, so to speak, I really enjoyed it, some of the songs on there are being played all the time at the moment. There are a couple of tracks which have appeared on previous albums which seems cheating a bit?! But other than that, I'd really recommended this but would suggest to buy 'The Black Halo' first if you're new to Kamelot and then this album. Enjoy!
on 12 February 2009
I first discovered this album in 2008 - and its still my best buy for that year.

Aftere having read the other reviews - it is clear that while people might like the same albums - its not the same songs they like - to me the opening violin was great - as was the 4 fisrts songs - "rule the world", "Ghost Opera", "human strain" (my favorite on the CD) and "Blücher" - the only 2 songs I don't like and sometimes skip is "Love you to death" and "anthem" - but to each his own - it is a fatastic album!!

Henrik
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 27 November 2007
Prog Metal has cost me a fortune this year as I have discovered some great bands and albums that I had quite frankly never heard of. This is another of the latest slew of European progsters who have upped the anti away from the doodly twiddly style of prog and incorporated elements of the heaviest of heavy metal in the many tuneful tracks on this album. Opening with an admittedly passé operatic/symphonic track this album soon transforms into a bludgeoning riff-fest with excellent instrumental passages linked with powerful singing and furious drumming. In a mighty year for prog metal this one ranks with the best
on 14 August 2009
absolute genius music ,my view is last 3 albums all worth getting this band getting better and better , drummer is absolutely brilliant in rythmn section one of the best ,, kamelot dont produce bad albums but i would suggest last three are brilliant .
on 8 June 2007
well for my first kamelot cd im very much so impresed, would reckomend it to anyone who likes heavy metal or power metal eg blind gurdian, sonata arctica.

Am most looking forward to buying more of their cds :)
VINE VOICEon 21 November 2014
WOW! what an album. Dramatically powerful orchestral metal, powerful vocals, melodic and heavy at the same time.

Brilliantly written and performed album, amazing stuff!
on 12 November 2015
a great cd by this band , just love it
on 24 January 2016