5.0 out of 5 stars V300 - great service and cost of ownership
Published on 8 Jun 2009 by MG

3.0 out of 5 stars Significant flaws
I spent a fair bit of time over choosing the Sonocaddie, my first foray into golf gps systems.

Lots of positive points about the Sonocaddie, as mentioned in the other reviews, particularly the cheap or, for the UK courses, free subscription.

But I just need to redress the balance slightly by highlighting some negatives that aren't obvious from the...
Published on 22 Mar 2010 by Chris Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars V300 - great service and cost of ownership, 8 Jun 2009
MG (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS (Sports)
I contacted Sonocaddie to ask if they would map my local course before committing to purchase my V300. They asked for course details and a scorecard and three weeks later, my course was available to download, all free of charge. My purchase included lifetime birdie membership (UK) which means my initial purchase cost is all I will pay, no annual subscriptions or course creation fees. The units hole overview is excellent, giving the user a feel for how the course is laid out graphically and the scorecard facility is handy too with stats available. The distance checker is OK, but I doubt if I would use the shot track recording, it would have been better to have integrated this with the scorecard. Overall, highly recommended, check your course availability first but you can either map it yourself (easy) or ask them to do it for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since sliced drives......, 4 Jun 2009
This review is from: Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS (Sports)
I did a lot of research into these types of products as well as the range finder laser types before purchasing this item.

I found it easy to use; I liked the colour screen and the ease of operation.
Good value for money coming in cheaper than the colour version of the Sky Caddie and a comparitive price to the black and white version of the Sky Caddie model.

I could not access the site initially to download the courses I wanted but that was the fault of my PC's firewall system and not the accompanying software. I did have to contact the customer service people to resolve it but they were most helpful and prompt with their replies. I suppose it did help that there was a five hour time difference between here and the States. I sent my queries off after lunchtime and received my replies the same day !!
They were extremely anxious that the product did what it said on their website...

Another reason for purchase was that my home course is on the software database and when downloaded is very accurate in all its detail. The Sonocaddie website allows you to browse and search for courses and that is why I knew my course was listed there. Excellent software.

There is a facility to edit landmarks on each hole and I have added some water hazards and bunkers that I particularly wanted to know the distances to.
It also has a ' MARK ' feature that allows you to measure how far you hit each club and have spent many a happy hour on the practice ground finding out how far I hit each club compared to how far I THOUGHT I hit them !

All in all a good purchase and I am completely satisfied. I cannot say it will lower MY handicap but what I am finding is that I am either pin high or past the flag more often now that previously which can only be a bonus. YOU, the poor golfer still have to hit the shots and that only means hard work on the practice ground !!

Yours Sincerely, a satisfied five handicap golfer ( formerly one handicap )....

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value Golf GPS with ability to amend course layout, 5 Oct 2009
This review is from: Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS (Sports)
I really rate the Sonocaddie v300. I've tried a Skycaddie SG5 and settled on the v300. I play off 13.

Good Points
1. The colour screen is clear and bright so I can read the course map without my glasses.
2. Fits easily in my pocket and the ergonomics are good.
3. You can check your local course is available to download before you buy.
4. When I registered on line I was granted downloads to all UK courses for free, I'm not sure why!
5. The ongoing subscription fees are very reasonable compared with other brands.
6. Loading the desktop software and downloading courses was a breeze.
7. My local course layout was accurate enough.
8. My favourite feature is the ability to customise the course layout. This allows me to determine which features to map and where the front and back of the green are. My home course changes all the time - moving bunkers, planting trees, relocating Tees etc.
9. I can map a course not available for download which is great as I play some obscure courses during the year.
10. I really like being able to record my score, track my shots and my movements if I so desire.
11. A whole round with the backlight and track log on uses half the battery.
12. I'd never realised some of our greens are 40 yards deep and others less than 20.
13. There are plenty of buttons for specific functions which speeds up use once you remember which button does what.

Bad Points
1. The hole layouts are generic so in map view some holes appear to have features which don't actually exist, a bit of artistic licence.
2. The points chosen for front and back of the green are not exactly where I would want them (It is easy to re-record these positions).
3. Unlike the Skycaddie SG5 when you play from the side or back of a green the v300 does not change the orientation of the green. Not really as problem as the centre is always clearly marked.

TIPS.
* Download your regular course and rename it to something different so you can save your changes and they won't be accidentally overwritten.
* Course are listed alphabetically so put A in front of regular courses to show them at the top of the list.
* Mark your normal Tee Box in the lowest position so as you walk up to your drive the yardage back to the Tee is always shown.
* Take care to mark lay-up points to avoid over hitting on dogleg holes.
* You need to apply consistent rules such as always marking the front of a bunker, the carry over water etc
* I mark the front and back of the green from the point of view of playing them.

Overall great fun, I've used the v300 several times and it has saved me strokes. I hate paying good money to play a new course and have the round ruined by poorly judged approach shots. The v300 is good but not perfect on a new course for the first time. However if you mark a few extra features in your first round they will make subsequent rounds even better.

Adrian

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonocaddie V300, 9 July 2009
Mr. Nicholas Welford (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS (Sports)
Having now used my Sonocaddie for well over 15 rounds and on at leased 8 different courses I can truly say I am very with pleased it. Of course it does not improve you golf (you still have to hit the ball)but it speeds up your game and the yardages are very accurate.I have always been able to obtain at lease 8 satellite signals in Sun,Cloud and Rain.The only fault I have found with it is that one course (Haying island) a river across the fairway was not marked but Hey! none of us are perfect . Get used to everyone you play with asking the yardage!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sonocaddie V300 review, 16 July 2009
William A. Blissett "W.BLISSETT" (Manchester,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS (Sports)
Since buying the Sonocaddie V300 a few weeks ago I have been very impressed. The unit is very small and discrete but gives a great layout of each hole in Question. The additional functions are also fantastic especially the one which lets you edit hazards and points of interest on each hole yourself. My game has definitely improved as I use to miss club often but the sonocaddie gives a very accurate yardage to all hazards and also front and back of greens in question.My only grip is the GPS maps of the courses seem slightly outdated as on my local course there are allot of features missing that I have had to add personally.This makes me slightly apprehensive going to courses that i am not familiar with as hazards and features my also be missing.All of my friends have the sky-caddie and they all like my unit better than there's,even the local professional-overall a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonocaddie V300 GPS, 14 July 2009
T. J. Long (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS (Sports)
I purchased the V300 three months ago after getting increasingly frustrated at the inconsistent yardage markers at some golf courses. I can honestly say that it was money well spent. The GPS unit is very user friendly, robust and waterproof (Well, rain proof). Yardage is no longer a guessing game, and if you play consistent golf and are confident with your club yardages then I guarantee you will save strokes off your score. Some of my playing partners have other branded GPS products that do the same job(SkyCaddie/Garmin)and all rave over the benefits of GPS. It all comes down to what you like the look of. The V300 has free course downloads (very easy to download), stores up to 30 courses and has tracking and analysis facilities. Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonocaddy V300, 1 Dec 2009
Dr. Trevor Anderson "Trevor" (Ballywalter, Co Down, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS (Sports)
I have just received the Sonocaddy V300 and had the opportunity to try it out on a golf course that was new to me. The instrument was easy to use and very accurate in its measurements. It also allowed me to identify obstacles that I might otherwise have missed. (actually, knowing that they were there did help me to miss them!)
However, when I tried to download my own home course on to the Sonocaddy I found that they are very dependent on the clarity of the satellite image and were unable to download it. Thus I would recommend that you look on the satellite image of your course on Google maps to see how clear they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic GPS, 2 Nov 2009
StepGlen (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS (Sports)
FANTASTIC is what it is. I bought this unit back in June 2009 It gives one the confidence to play the shot knowing the exact distance and not worry about any thing else. I have since June cut 5 shots off my handicap with this knowledge. The colour screen is bigger than most others, information is CORRECT and easy to understand, adding your own markers is easy, in fact 10/10. I have recomended this unit to 5 friends. Thats how good it is. Add benfit of no yearly fees. You will not be disapointed BRILLANT bit of KIT. Wish i had one years ago

4.0 out of 5 stars Sonocaddie V300, 1 Mar 2010
S. Harte (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS (Sports)
I purchased my Sonocaddie V300 in February 2010. It arrived with all necessarry components (hardware, software, leads etc)

Very easy to set up and download courses. there is a little bit of adjusting to do in setup for modern computers using Vista and above, but very good diagrams to explain what to do and anyone with even fundamental computer skills will be able to make it work easily. NOTE, ALL UK COURSES ARE FREE TO DOWNLOAD.

I've downloaded 8 of the courses I play regulalrly/occasionally. 1 was partly available (scorecard only#. 1 quick e-mail detailing course name, place and country and 24 hours later a reply from sonocaddie saying they were on to it and would map the course within 7-10 days and send an e-mail to confirm. Great service. If you want to use the devince in the USA or abroad on holiday you may need to spend a couple of quid buying these but its still pretty cheap.

The device is easy to use on course and the screens are very clear: I love the ability to alter the course layout and apply a bit of local knowledge #layup's, hills etc# and this was particulalrly useful when I played a course 2 days in a row with winter greens and simply re-marked the winter greens onto sononcaddie. Brilliant.

Although I've played my home course for years, I was still taken aback by how big some of the greens are and the Sonocaddie gives landing areas for front middle and back, not simply front of green, back of green etc.

It took a couple of holes to familiarise yourself with the many options avaialbe on the device and get maximum use #shot tracking, shot length, scorecard etc# but you quickly get to grips with this.

The added bonus for me is that when using the sonocaddie I've kept my focus: midweek I play on my own and can quickly lose interest in the golf and lose concentration: however I've now played four rounds and kep my focus for all 18. And not hit a bunker yet. I'm not sure exactly why this is but is probably because the soncaddie brings me back to focus on each shot #go for the centre of the green: layup etc).

In short, a very good device, clear to read and adjustable for winter greens etc. I rate this piece of equipment very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class, 3 Dec 2009
This review is from: Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS (Sports)
August 2011: This is an update on the review (below) I first wrote after owning the Sonocaddie V300 for 6 months. Now owned it and used it for around 2 years and still as impressed today as I was at the beginning. The rating stays the same - 5 star!

The unit has travelled extensively and is used in UK, the USA, Europe (mainly Portugal)and Asia (Hong Kong). No complaints - the course mapping is accurate and has been spot on on every course. The courses on the Algarve that I wanted mapped when I first bought the unit have now been mapped.

Overall this is one of the best around. Given the price today it is excellent value for money!Sonocaddie V300 Golf GPS

2009: Owned this little baby now for around 6 months so very used to it. Mine has been used in the UK and europe and I must say I am very impressed with the accuracy.
I have 15 courses loaded now and they have all proved to be spot on.
Requested 3 more to be mapped (new courses), on the Algarve so hoping that these will be up by the time I go back early next year.
Not the cheapest unit around but the facilities and the display beat anything else I have seen so far. Any of my friends/fellow golfers who have bought other models have all expressed some regret that they didn't go the extra step and choose the Sonocaddie V300.
All in all one of the best purchases I have made and would recommend this to any other golfer.