Format: DVD|Change

on 3 April 2009
As someone who can remember this series as a child...the music brings back memories... it IS basic childrens TV...but for those of us who love(d) steam..its fun.

OK the stories arent "gripping", and for me the basic acting was a bit fun...but seeing the railway I grew up to love... and seeing the loco I eventually got to actually DRIVE. its PURE MAGIC. 6412 being used and abused on a lovely railway in a beautiful part of the country.

Considering its age...its a good transfer.. strange to see Sheila Fearne, Peter (Chief Scout) Duncan and Gwyneth(Only fools and horses) Strong on early roles its a great way to spend a few hours..

All I'd say is... if you like this..buy it but please go and visit the railway too.. the WSR is a lovely railway and even though the Flyer has moved on to smaller railways (the passenger trains got too big for her..and thats a great recommendation for a lovely line) - the WSR is a great place. And for those who know the line... happy scenery spotting!

Buy it from the shop at Minehead and SUPPORT your railway!

Buy it and enjoy some nostalga
on 27 January 2012
"Flockton Flyer" is a little-known TV series made in the late 1970's. Filmed on the West Somerset Railway, which had been re-opened by rail enthusiasts the year before filming for the series began, the show followed the adventures of the Carter family, whose garage business had foundered thanks to a new bypass and so they move into an old railway station to help work the line and its steam engine, the eponymous Flockton Flyer.

The show, often dismissed as a relic of a bygona era in recent times, is a wonderful series with engaging characters, from Bob Carter, the level-headed patriarch of the household, Commander Frost, the head of the railway society's board who cannot shake off all the terms and traditions he picked up in the Navy, and Bill Jelly, a vagrant living in a lineside hut who tells many a tale of his travels in exotic lands. Each one draws us into this beautiful little world, and keep us enthralled episode after episode.

Each episode is beautifully written, carefully blending elements of drama, comedy and adventure until the mixture is just right. Throughout the 12 episodes of the entire series, we are treated to ghost trains, saboteurs, cattle rustlers, train robbers, and a thrilling chase between the Flockton Flyer and another tank engine owned by the scheming Duke of Flockton (played wonderfully by Patrick Mower of "Carry On England", here doing his best impression of Somerset's Dick Dastardly).

Together with Patrick Whitbread's tie-in novel, also called "Flockton Flyer", this is a series for all ages. It is a series of wonderful characters, beautiful scenery, and a celebration of the country railways many of us take for granted.
on 8 September 2009
This was bought for entirely nostalgic purposes, and it fulfilled these well. The acting was far more wooden, and the plots far more contrived and unlikely than I remember them, but then I was 8 last time I saw it. I guess we become more discerning as we get older, but lose the innocence that enables us to enjoy simple pleasure. And this DVD is sure one of them...
on 4 September 2009
i enjoyed the series sorry Sheila Fearn was not in series two great acting and stories simple. great idea to live in a railway station.
on 26 May 2009
This brings back memories. Was it really 32 years ago that (The) Flockton Flyer was first shown?

Who cares that the acting is slightly wooden and that the contrast between the grainy film sequences and the garish studio sequences is a bit jarring? The stories are great and so are the locations and the footage of Flockton Flyer in action.

The DVD comes with a very detailed booklet about the filming, which explains why the title changed from "The Flockton Flyer" (Series 1) to "Flockton Flyer" (Series 2) [railway enthusiasts pointed out that locomotive names conventionally do not start with "The"] and describes the plot and filming schedule for an episode which was never filmed because it involved an over-ambitious air-sea rescue sequence that was evidently too costly to film.

My only slight criticism of the DVD authoring is that the ability to move at random through the episode by clicking on the player's timeline has been disabled for some strange reason, so you can only play, fast-forward or rewind - but this is only likely to affect people like me who wanted to skip straight to the credits to transcribe them for IMDB!
on 22 May 2015
I RECALL THIS SERIES.....ITS ONE OF MANY MADE BY SOUTHERN TV THAT I HAVE REVISITED....LIKE OTHER REVIEWS, I THINK ITS ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!! AND IF IT HAD FINISHED AS IT STARTED I WOULD HAVE WRITTEN IT OFF...BUT IN FACT SOME GOOD LITTLE STORY'S LIE WITHIN,AND ITS UNPREDICTABLE NATURE IS WHAT WAS CHARMING FOR ME...I REALLY LIKED BOB CARTER.(DAVID NEAL) AND HOBO MR JELLY,..AND THEY ALWAYS MADE SURE THE FLOCTON FLYER STAYED ON TRACK..(SORRY)....I'M NOT SURE IF THEY WERE WORKING TO A SCRIPT AT THE START, AND THIS MADE THE KIDS IN PARTICULAR LOOK AND ACT UNCOMFORTABLE...BUT THEY ALL SETTLED DOWN AND BY SERIES 2 WHICH I THINK WAS MUCH BETTER AND A 3RD SERIES COULD HAVE BEEN VERY GOOD.....BUT AS SOMEONE WHO SPENT 1976-77-78 IN THE SOMERSET COUNTRYSIDE (IN A CARAVAN..KNEEDEEP IN STRAW....OR FANS OF STEAM..OR YOU JUST WANT TO ESCAPE 2015....THE FLOCTON FLYER HAS TO BE WORTH A VISIT...ITS SIMPLE AND FUN...AND THE WORLD IS SHORT OF THIS FORGOTTEN WORLD....12 EPISODES AND A BOOKLET GOOD VALUE DVD VIA AMAZON UK
on 1 February 2011
I know the WSR and applaud their endeavours to spread the word about the line. Given this was made in the early days of preservation and after the Railway Children, you would have thought the stories would have been a little more believeable. I hate the youngster with the menagerie. That said it is good old fashioned light entertainment with very dodgy scripts and sometimes cringingly wooden acting.

Have I enjoyed watching the dvd? Yes, it made me laugh for all the above reasons. I felt totally relaxed after watching each episode, with a smile on my face; great for de-stressing, buy and see for yourself. May even make youngsters 5-80 years old laugh!
on 24 June 2015
What a great program takes you back to the days of steam, and life gone by. Worth watching over and over again
on 2 May 2010
I had a holiday at Minehead in 2009 and a ride on on the West Somerset Railway. I enjoyed this 30 year old Childrens TV Series mainly for the Location Scenes that brought back a lot of memories and showed how much the WSR has changed over 30 years. Even if the story lines were typical 70's TV Children's TV: it was refreshing to see several well known TV Personalitiues as they were when just starting their careers.
on 26 April 2016
Set in the days before mobile phones a family live in a station building as an old steam engine is renovated for use on the railway. Filmed on the West Somerset Railway as it was still being renovated in real life, so a fascinating historical record of the line as well.