Published on 6 Nov. 2012 by RBSProds

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but not her best.
Published on 18 Mar. 2009 by lunafish

5.0 out of 5 stars GRAMMY-WINNER: THE AMAZING INDIA.ARIE's MARVELOUS, POWERFUL MUSIC, 6 Nov. 2012
RBSProds "rbsprods" (Deep in the heart of Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Testimony, Vol. 2: Love & Politics (Audio CD)
Five BIG Stars!!! Beautiful, remarkable, personal songs of love, pain, joy, faith, and life from triple Grammy-winning (with 16 nominations) singer/songwriter/musician India.arie. Musical barriers evaporate in her hands!! Using a versatile voice of liquid incandescent beauty, India.arie drops a fabulous new CD: Vol. 2, Love & Politics, the followup to Testimony: Vol. 1, Life & Relationship. After 2 years of semi-retirement in Hawaii, away from the disappointing hassles of the music industry, she returns to create fresh, soulful music based on new songs and a new commitment in terms of "finding a way to do it that suits me". If you need an area code for India.arie, think of a young lady nearing mid-career who is approaching the singing swagger and songwriting versatility of a Stevie Wonder, she is that great.

The flowing "River Rise" is a powerful ballad that 'shows the way' to a different level of personal understanding for India.arie. The Latin rhythm-tinged "Ghetto" shows her ability to take a familiar topic and expand it to a beautiful world-wide message (and it went to my iPod). The Grammy-winning "Pearls" (with Dobet Gnahore) is pure musical beauty and thoughtful songwriting, with a timely message for the women of the world. "Psalm 23" with rapper MC Lyte, multi-tracked, has a powerful empowering message. The "Long Goodbye" and "A Beautiful Day" are pure powerful beauty built on differing rhythms. India.arie once again demonstrates musical prowess far beyond that of most singers and we should rejoice that she came back with this tremendous musical gift, which took the "Best Urban/Alternative Performance Grammy" with "Pearls". My Highest Recommendation. Five HUGE Stars.
(This review is based on an MP3 download.)

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid fourth album by India.Arie, 16 Aug. 2011
Amillionmiles (Hove, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Testimony, Vol. 2: Love & Politics (Audio CD)
"Testimony Vol. 2: Love & Politics" is India.Arie's fourth album. Her first two albums "Acoustic Soul" and "Voyage To India" were really great, but her third album "Testimony Vol. 1: Life & Relationship" was a little disappointing. This release is a step in the right direction towards regaining a more soulful and less commercial sound.

There are some very catchy pop inspired R&B tracks such as "Therapy" and "A Beautiful Day". There are some very beautiful ballads too such as "He Heals Me", the cover of Sade's "Pearls", "River Rise" and "Long Goodbye". All of these compositions are quite close to her original sound and so is the cool sounding "Yellow" and the sweet guitar led "Beautiful Flower". There are also quite a few tracks that have a different sound to what India.Arie has released in the past. "Ghetto" and "Better Way" are both very powerful and funky sounding tracks with plain and clear messages. "Psalms 23" has hip-hop influences yet still remains soulful and "The Cure" has world music influences. The only track I am not so keen on is the neo soul sounding "Chocolate High", a duet with Musiq Soulchild, as it is a little ordinary. Nevertheless, there is a lot of variety and the album is exciting.

It is not quite as good as her first two releases, but India.Arie shows us that she is back on track and still able to write very beautiful and memorable music. It is a solid effort and is a must buy for all of her fans and followers.

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the Fans, 7 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Testimony, Vol. 2: Love & Politics (Audio CD)
If you already love Ms Arie then you wont be reading this. If not I recommend you get this lovely album but must also steer you in the direction of India.Arie's first two albums (acoustic soul, voyage to india) which are better. I also loved Testimony Vol 1 though it is never the first album I reach for or program onto my pod. There are a few diamonds on 'Testimony Vol 2 L & P' and lyrically Ms A has still got it in spades. I have always loved what she has to say and how she says it, even when I don't agree, but musically and melodically I was not as blown away by this album as I have been before. That said I have no regrets about my purchase. My only gripe it the reoccurring 'Grains' interlude. which by the third manifestation was starting to irk. Get this album it is worth the dosh and Ms Arie sounds as smooth and sensual as ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for the Soul, 29 July 2010
This review is from: Testimony, Vol. 2: Love & Politics (Audio CD)
Another beautiful album by India. I know I will never be dissapointed,thats why I bought this album without reading any reviews or listing to any of the songs. It was a delighful surprise to listen to the album from beginning to end, and I love every song. Her track "Yellow" is what I've been playing first thing every morning, it puts me in such a good mood to start the day. She's been blessed to write powerful lyrics in the most poetic way. I also love to play her music before I got to bed, and fall asleep to her soothing melodies. If you want a feel good album, that speaks truth, and makes you want to smile & dance, buy this album today! Definately 5 stars!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lotta Love In The Room, 3 Feb. 2010
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
India Arie Simpson (aka India.Arie) is spreading some
LOVE with Volume 2 of her 'Testimony' series, this time
mixed with 'Politics' (2006's Vol.1 escapsulated reflections
on 'Life & Relationship'). It is always a pleasure to
hear her lovely voice whatever her current preoccupations.

The fourteen songs and three brief interludes ("Grains")
in this new collection deliver a quality mix of
heart-felt acoustic soul and gentle R&B. Her musical cohorts
help bring the music to life with their sensitive
accompaniment and unobtrusive technical skills.

Things get off to a cracking start with 'Therapy', an
upbeat number which made me think of Des'Ree in certain
moments (remember her?!). Gramps Morgan provides a
nicely fluid and supportive vocal contribution.

'Ghetto', with its juddering latin rhythms frames a
powerfully articulated series of observations on
inequality and oppression. A vividly sung manifesto.

Musiq's mellow tones in his duet with Ms Arie on
'Chocolate High' really makes it good enough to eat!

'Yellow' is as sweet as sweet can be. The charming melody
and crisp harmonies couldn't fail to make us smile.

'The Cure', featuring the haunting voice of Turkish singer
Sezen Aksu, posits love as a solution to all the world's evils.
The conviction in both womens' performances almost makes
us believe that such a simple equation might make it so.

The most marvellous song by a mile in my reckoning is
'Long Goodbye'. It's a BIG song by any measure known to man.
When the chorus kicks in for the first time it is obvious
that we are in the presence of greatness and when Ms Arie hits
that stratospherically high note in the middle-eight every
single hair on my (considerably hairy) body stood to attention!

Some might feel her overarching message to be somewhat
naive but give me this kind of simple honesty and optimism
over vacuous and shallow governmental promises any time!

Life Affirming Stuff.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs for the soul, 11 May 2009
J. Odeje "Honey Child" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Testimony, Vol. 2: Love & Politics (Audio CD)
I really like this album. I listened to it all the way through the first time I played it. It is permanently in my car stereo. There are many good tracks but I absolutely love "He heals me".

3.0 out of 5 stars Good...but not her best., 18 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Testimony, Vol. 2: Love & Politics (Audio CD)
If you're a fan, Testimony Vol. 2 is worth having. The highlights "Long Goodbye" "Pearls" and "he heals me" are well worth the wait. The album is not one I can play from beginning to end as I feel it's the most preachy of her albums. The sounds are more diverse as the World music influence runs through but it's not as accessible as Acoustic Soul. It's a good album but it doesn't have the timelessness I would have expected. I give it 3.5 stars, but in todays' music; this is much needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant artist, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Testimony, Vol. 2: Love & Politics (Audio CD)
First heard of India Arie on Shark Tale movie soundtrack; Get It Together. Love the song and her voice and got this album and her first, Acoustic Soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Oct. 2014
excellent product,very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly done, Arie!, 9 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Testimony, Vol. 2: Love & Politics (Audio CD)
Yet again India provides uplifting spritually engaging lyrics track after track.
It was money well spent on such a smooth flow of songs offering inspiration, solace and a buzz all at the same time!
This is her best album by far. A must have for all Arie fans!

Testimony, Vol. 2:  Love & Politics
Testimony, Vol. 2: Love & Politics by India.Arie (Audio CD - 2009)