5.0 out of 5 stars BEST CHOICE FOR SIZE AND FUNCTIONALITY, BUT NOT CHEAP
I have now used this Sony P series mini-netbook for 4 weeks. It is my second computer, which I need when I am away from home. It is more portable than the 9-12 inch netbooks (which is why I preferred to buy it, in spite of the higher cost). It fits into my winter-coat pockets but does not fit into my jacket pockets, so I still need a small case to carry it in summer...
Published on 3 Aug 2009 by Dr. Fade Ibitoye

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small, too expensive, too slow and a waste of your money
Published on 3 Mar 2009 by Georgie2006

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST CHOICE FOR SIZE AND FUNCTIONALITY, BUT NOT CHEAP, 3 Aug 2009
This review is from: Sony Vaio P11ZQ 8-inch Netbook, Intel Atom Z520 1.33Ghz, 2GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Vista Home Premium (Black) (Electronics)

As expected, the screen and text sizes are small, but there are ample options to enlarge texts: a) through control panel>ease of access>optimise visual display options, b) by using the key board Fn+F10, c) through view>text size option in internet browsers or d) via format>font size in other applications.

Windows Vista operating system takes some 80 seconds to open the home screen, but it takes a while longer to be ready for use. On the other hand the Instant Mode takes only 20 seconds to open the home screen and is instantly ready to use. Wi-Fi connectivity is easy. There is also a Vaio Everywair that recommends T-mobile broadband service, but there is no T-Mobile 3G reception in my area; therefore I bought an o2 sim card dongle (and discarded the dongle). The sim card works well via the Globe Trotter Connect software, which comes pre-loaded with the mini-netbook.

The mini-netbook has crashed twice, so I have recognised the limit to the 2 gigabyte RAM. It gets hot rather quickly, but I had been warned. I am satisfied with everything else: keyboard, cursor pointer, Motion Eye Camera, solid build, connection ports, screen resolution and two hours battery life as a trade off for small size and light weight.

In summary, this is a wonderfully small ultra-portable machine that can do most things; it very wisely has a fast access Instant Mode for some tasks and enables mobile internet access conveniently. I recommend the Sony VAIO P series as the smallest but not the cheapest mobile computer, preferably for people who need a second computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpassed all my expectations - superb, 22 Aug 2009
Andreas Iacovou (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I was almost put off buying this after reading some of the reviews on here and other sites but I'm so glad I took a gamble! This is one of the most amazing looking devices I have owned. I've been looking for a netbook / mini laptop for ages and have tried variants from Asus, Samsung, Toshiba and HP. All were ok but all had a deal breaking flaw (they wern't small enough and /or usable). I will admit the Sony can be a tad slow with Vista at times, but it just needs some tinkering. Remove all the rubbish, install an anti-virus that doesn't use all the available resources, use readyboost, and wait patiently for Windows 7. If you want a truly mobile device for internet browsing and basic usage this is ideal. It looks stunning, feels great, and works perfectly. I have one gripe, thats the battery life with the standard battery - not great. Solved by getting the extended battery package. You can also now get this with 150.00 cash back from Sony and free Windows 7 upgrade - Happy days!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first try, but usability needs more refinement., 10 Jun 2009
It feels a bit unfair to say this notebook has a very small display and keyboard. It is after all, probably the smallest lightest notebook available in the UK (640g. It's less than about a third the weight and size of a standard value 13" notebook).

BATTERY LIFE - With the default 2-cell battery, you get about 2-3 hours (perhaps closer to 2 hours in Vista, I'm using Windows 7). However, upgrade this to the 4-cell battery for around 100 like I did, and you can easily pass 5 hours, and with the notebook still weighing around 750g, the utility goes up tremendously. I recommend all buyers go for this option, and am not sure why Sony didn't include it by default (it raises the back slightly but not so much that it looks terrible).

ERGONOMICS - You can't *possibly* expect ThinkPad-like ergonomics out of something this small, and I think Sony's done a great job here, the keyboard is easy to get used to and since I'm used to trackpoints, I didn't miss the touchpad being there either. I was worried about this area but Sony more or less nailed it considering the size constraints - the trackpoint is more "hard and pointy" than "flat and big" like on ThinkPads but it works almost as well...and well, you can't buy a ThinkPad anywhere near this light.

SPEED - I went in with expectations that things such as Web browsing and Youtube etc would be fine on the Atom CPU on this thing, comprimising speed for size makes sense, but admitedly was a bit underwhelmed, sometimes things do feel a bit *too* slow and you wish you were back on your fullsize 13-15" notebook again. It's not a deal breaker though - Office 2007 runs just fine and it *is* usable, just don't expect silky smooth webpage scrolling that you're used to on your "full speed" computer.

SCREEN - This has to be the notebook's biggest weakness. 1600x768 sounds great on paper, until you realise just how *tiny* it makes everything. If you've seen their previous T series 11" notebooks, recall that those were 1366x768 on an 11" screen, and if you think *that* was small text, you're in for a nasty surprise when you try the P1. The word "microscopic" keeps coming to mind and I can't see how anyone can use Windows on it at native DPI settings. To resolve this you can tell Windows to run at higher DPI (making text, windows etc bigger, 150dpi starts to make text bearable) but this brings with it a whole host of problems (weirdly formatted webpages, install dialog boxes that are chopped off the screen, further slowdown as the weak video processer is stretched to render such a high resolution desktop) and the whole feel of the operating system just feels flakey and unoptimised. I'm really not sure what to make of it in the end - images do look amazing on it but what use is that if you sacrifice usability. Perhaps a 1280x600 resolution would have worked better (1024x600 like on the netbooks wouldn't work since this notebook is longer to fit the width of the keyboard, which is fair enough). Sony went overboard on the resolution. Portable users don't need crazy high unusable resolutions, they want something compact and practicle.

So, at the end of the day, 5/5 from me, had they gone with a more practicle more fiddle-proof display option. But I can't really complain about the rest of the system, it's as good as notebook you can get in this size, can be handled like a paperback and can completely change your usage cases when it comes to portable computing, so Sony should be applauded for at least getting their foot through the door and producing something very different from all the other relatively chunky Atom notebooks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small, too expensive, too slow and a waste of your money, 3 Mar 2009
I always buy Sony as you usually know that you are getting quality, although you do pay a premuim for the name. This small 'thing' - not a laptop, not a netbook was such a disapointment that I sent it back. It is impossible to read the screen. I've got fairly good eyesight but wow this does take the biscuit. It is also extremely slow. Granted you can expect a lower performance, but this can't even handle simple things. My other main gripe is that the mobile broadband only works with T-Mobile. If you have a vodafone sim card then forget it. There is no support for this and you cetainly won't get it from Vodafone. Sorry Sony I really can't give you more than a one, infact if there was a zero I would use it. Go and get a Samsung NC10, far superior and 600 cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars You will have to make it good!, 27 April 2009
R D. Napoli "Roblon" (London) - See all my reviews
Sony Vaio P11ZR 8-inch Netbook, Intel Atom Z520 1.33Ghz, 2GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Vista Home Premium (Red)

I exchanged my Macbook Air for this last week. Was well excited about the portability of the Sony Vaio P series and this is definitely its strength: it is small, compact, extremely portable and, yes, stylish! However, when I received it and tried it for the first time, I felt really disappointed: slow, impossible to read on the screen and, perhaps, overpriced. However, I resisted the temptation of sending it back straight away and by working a bit on it and changing parameters in terms of font size, I am now convinced, three days later, that, all in all, I am satisfied with it.

The computer does its job and it is not really too frustrating to wait a bit more for Windows Vista to boot up. All in all, for normal functions like wordprocessing, Internet searching and the like, it is a perfectly acceptable machine. If you want or need to do anything more gimmicky (including video watching), do not expect perfection, as you won't find it... If, like me, you have a more powerful primary computer and portability does matter to you, this is perfect, as it is extremely portable and works well, if you go the extra mile and tweak it a little bit to adjust it to your liking and needs. And, more importantly, you must change your mindset: take it for what it is, a glorified netbook, which can be an excellent travel companion. Once you know this and you are convinced of it, you are fine, like me, now...

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely gadget, 18 April 2009
This is a fine little product, and I expect nothing less from Sony. For its purposes, it is sublime. The screen is small, but you must buy it knowing this - it is nonetheless sharp and pixel clear. Reading lots of text may fatigue the eyes, however, so another model would suit if that is your chief use.

Operating Vista Premium does tax the Atom processor, so Sony have thoughtfully included a Linux style fast-boot operating system that allows you to jump to the key software very quickly. I was connected and on-line through wi-fi in no time, and surfing was quick and enjoyable. The digit mouse is very usable.

One small warning. If you want to pop in a 3 sim card from a usb dongle, you will not get it to work (uses a different frequency, and requires 3 software which only recognises the dongle).

Ultimately, this sadly saw me return the vaio p, coupled with a preference for a larger keyboard and screen. You must buy recognising these limitations - if you do, you will love this gadget, it's a beauty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Made for Windows 7, 29 May 2010
This is the base model Sony Vaio P and as such is the slowest and has the smallest memory and storage.

I paid 400 for this laptop through the marketplace and I wouldn't advise anyone pay more than 500 because at that price range there are much better laptops available - but of course none quite so small. And lets be honest, the only reason anyone would buy this laptop is for its insane portability. This is the lightest and smallest laptop range money can buy and boy does it look and feel good to own.

The laptop itself runs surprisingly well once you've gotten rid of Vista, I chose to upgrade to Windows 7 but Windows XP or a Linux build would do equally well on this atom processor. It takes a while to regain all of the Vaio drivers and features if you're so inclined to, but once it's in business on a quicker OS, you won't be disappointed.

The main problem people have is the screen size and resolution makes long-term usage quite tough on the eyes, you can easily up the font size in windows to make things more readable but I felt it just made the text inconsistent with the rest of the screen, though I can see many people would prefer to use it.

So that's a quick summary of my thoughts after a month - I'm extremely happy with my purchase but mainly because I use it as a second laptop for short journeys (quite short - the battery life did disappoint at around 2 hours 30) and lectures. As a main laptop I can see it becoming impractical and annoying due to its small screen and limited hard drive space.

A niche laptop and a great luxury purchase for those who will find good uses for it. 5 stars subjectively, 3 stars objectively.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with it., 27 May 2010
When it comes down to a small machine, this is the leader of the pack, many other tiny machines dont' have the same usability or feature set as this and as such the Vaio Ps live in their own sector in the market - if you want a full on workhorse laptop then you may need something more traditional.
*It is a very small laptop, so think twice if you have poor eye sight - you can enlarge everything that appears on the screen via windows & hardware though and the screen is incredibly bright and pin sharp.
*It is portable in a way no other laptop/netbook is.
*It is slower when compared to a full laptop, but then if you want a full laptop you wouldn't be looking to buy this.
*If windows is a bit slow for you then use instant mode (mini Linux version that synchs all files and media with windows) or easily install Ubuntu Linux on a memory card (you don't need to get rid of windows), it runs fast then. Some people even run Mac OS X Snowleopard on it which is the lates performance optimised version of the Mac OS.
*If you remove all the unnecessary extras/rubbish(?) that Sony pre-install on it and use Windows Readyboost on a flash card then it performs fine.
*It is silent in operation.
*They keyboard is good and usable by folks with larger than average hands.
*Having mobile broadband built in is nice.
*It is a well designed, beautiful little thing - it reminds me of the advanced cassette based Sony walkmans and how different and progressive they were compared to the competition then.
*It works really well with big external screens - especially with an alternate(free) media player like 'VideoLan Project'. Make sure you buy the Vaio P with the external TV/LAN adaptor if this is for you.
*If you turn 'everything on 10' then like every other laptop, the battery life is shortened - you can get a larger battery if you partake in any longer extreme ironing expeditions.
*The little mouse thing in the keyboard is a little better than the one you get on Thinkpad machines.
*When I look at my standard laptop it seems primitive by comparison - I have no intension of going back to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shiweihe IMPORTANT READ THIS WARNING, 14 July 2009
Arthur Wyatt (London England) - See all my reviews
Takes a long time to load Windows 7. Cracks have appeared on my screen (Dec 4th) without me having caused any stress or misuse of the product. They radiate fropm a point covered by the surround so appear to be a manufacturing fault - on its way back! SONY WANT TO CHARGE 700 TO REPLACE SCREEN - Should be free as I did not damage it. Shown in advert in somebodies back pocket! I hate to think what damage this would cause! Then 700 to repair Then I tried getting one cheap

Watch that Shiweihe here is a copy of the email he sent me ----- sory my friend, i just found an extra long life bettery comes with it, and have
to change the price for 80 pounds more, if u still wanna it, u can buy from me
again, but now, have to cancel the order. sorry for ur inconvenience.
HE HAS 100% RATING DO NOT BUY FROM Shiweihe

5.0 out of 5 stars sony vaio netbook, 28 Aug 2009
T. Baguley (uk) - See all my reviews
usual superb service from amazon, product a bit slow until you get used to it, then just what i required.