Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

on 8 November 2009
I bought this for my husband as a present and it seems to have gone down well. His comments: The one disadvantage is that it is much bigger than I expected (though not heavy) - it certainly doesn't fit into your pocket. Having said that it is robust. It produces pleasant portrait photography and is a great addition to macro capability if you want to do the latter cheaply. I would use it for some portaits and always use it for macros.
on 2 June 2010
I'm not a big fan of on-camera flash... it's usually too localised, too harsh. But this ring adapter makes for a useful lighting source when off-camera flash or other lighting is not a feasible option.

I did find that it hindered focusing, but if you're working at a slower pace then it is a very useful option softening shadows and giving a very pleasing and flattering light.

Unlike the version shown in black, mine's was generally made of white plastic, akin to some toilet seat accessory but this can be remedied with some black tape. The build quality is rudimentary, but the light it gives outweighs this.

I'd recommend using this with manual flash as opposed to TTL, as I found that it knocks a few stops off the exposure/power and also it's much more stable when mounted on tripod for shooting. It does add bulk and weight to the camera and I am thinking of adding some foam to the inside of the ring to couple it more centrally to the lens as it can wobble about a bit.

Other than that, I am happy with it... it does the job for me and that's all I am interested in.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 January 2010
I've had one of these for quite a while now and I'm very impressed with it for macro work. I've mostly used it a 60mm F2.8 macro lens and 580 EXii flashgun. I've also used it with extension tubes

To be honest for photographing insect, flowers and that sort of thing this combination would now be my first choice. Its very easy to use and seems much less hassle to get evenly lit results than using the flashgun off the camera, using two flashguns etc. Its also much easier to move around when using it. No need to keep moving a flashgun mounted on a tripod.

As far as portraits go it is certainly useable and I've had some quite nice results especially if the subject is close. However the main problem is that it looks so unusual that it attracts comments and attention from many subjects - you have to get past that. Imagine if someone came at you with a camera with something the size of a large dinner plate fixed too it - you'd probably comment too!

As far as the basics of it go. Its tough. It comes in a thin cardboard box which is fairly inconvenient for long term storage as it has an awkward sleeve that has to be slid on and off. However the unit itself is so robust that it can be chucked around in a plastic bag without problems. It fits on the flashgun easily - just slide it on and give the locking screw a quarter turn. It doesn't always seem to sit quite straight or level but this doesn't affect the photos.
review image
on 12 January 2010
Saw The Ray flash at over twice the price and nearly bought one, got this after reading reviews, as recommended on Amazon by customers. It was delivered within 2 days from The USA 5days before Christmas. FEDEX you are Legends!!!
Exact copy of the Ray, need to pick the right one to suit your flash. Mine is used on a Sony and was a little too big but with a bit of sticky back velcro and a small strip of foam it fits better than with the tightening screw supplied. Also came with cleaning kit and mini tripod, bonus!! This gives excellent results and I cant recommend it enough especially at the price. Shame on you RAY!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 December 2010
I always do a lot of research when it comes to buying my equipment and this was no exception.
I was looking at Alien Bees ring flash strobes but the power consumption would cripple my events photography work so I needed a more portable solution.
The Ray Flash is perfect but the price tag doesn't justify itself one bit. For £30 more I could get myself the Alien Bees anyway. I came across the reverse engineered Coco version and bought it after some reading.

I know it says it's for 580EX but I own a 430EX and can't justify upgrading just to use this.
It's possible to make this work on a 430EX flash gun by using one of the plastic diffuser covers you can get for £5 (White Flash Diffuser for Canon Speedlite 430EX, 430EX II) and the rubber wedge included in the box.

Cut the front of the diffuser off with a saw (I used a kitchen knife and a pencil sharpener blade to clean up the edges). Then just push the diffusers sleeve as far onto the flash as possible, put in the ring flash adapter, slide the wedge in at the top and tighten with the adapters screw.
If it hangs out too far and you get glare from the adapter just place a strip of black insulation tape along the inside edge of the ring.

Also you'll have to power your flash up 2 stops to compensate for any fiber optics light loss.

So overall it's extremely cost effective and the quality is amazing. I highly recommend this.
on 8 December 2014
Excellent alternative to a powered ring flash, easy to use just slot over the front of your existing flash unit and go, great macro results
on 29 August 2010
Whilst this is a "relatively" cheap version of the Ray Flash the quality was less than I expected based upon previous reviews. Seams from various component parts were not well aligned and the plastic appeared to be very thin and brittle. When fitted to my 580EXII the weight of it pulled the flash head down to the 7 degree position. The Coco flash adaptor was a very tight fit onto my 580EXII which is a well as the half-twist securing device located on top of the adaptor was ineffective. I returned the item straight away.