Nat King Cole: Re:Generations
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£1.75+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon 15 November 2010
Being an avid Cole fan, I know just how rich his voice can be when left to its own devices. I also know how finely crafted many of his tunes are, and certainly some of them are amongst my favourite songs of all time. However, this CD was not intended to be a compilation, let alone a continuation. It is, as the title suggests, a compendium of remixes ('regenerations') from modern artists. With each track having a different producer/artist, the CD is a melting pot of many different genres and feels with many almost a foray into electro swing that is pipped to be an upcoming trend.

With such a wide range of course comes the bad as well as the good. It's going to be quite difficult to compile a CD of this type with only songs that everybody will like. But perhaps that was the aim: to provide at least something that almost everyone will like. Whereas a previous reviewer found just one favourable track, I've found likes and dislikes in almost equal measure. But for me at least, the good bring my rating up more than the bad bring it down. To demolish the saying, when it's good it's good, and when it's bad it's "meh".

Highlights for me on this album include Cee-Lo Green's version of 'Lush Life' which takes on an almost entirely opposite feel to the original, Cut Chemist's 'Day In, Day Out' with some well-executed (and not over-the-top) effects and scratching, and indeed even 'Straighten Up And Fly Right' where Cole's daughter Natalie takes part in a pseudo-duet with the master himself. I can't say that for the latter I'm a fan of Natalie's voice, but the song has a nice groove to pull it through and manages to keep the memorable piano prominent enough.

Another point to make about the variety here is that the split between instrumental (read: no additionally added vocals) and non-instrumental tracks is about even. For example, Izza Kizza's 'Hit That Jive, Jack' only contains the chorus vocals in addition to many other performers, and even then mostly only uses the first line. To round off the review, I'll return to the bottom line: If you're looking for a selection of Cole's hits, you won't find it here. At least not in their original form. What you will find, however, is a refreshing and alternative take on some of those, with hopefully something for everyone. And at the price, could you really complain?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Don't waste your money and preview this album on Itunes, you will either love it or hate it.
Brazilian Love Song (Michaelangelo L'Acqua & Bebel Gilberto) - is the ONLY song that I really enjoy listening to,
Straighten Up and Fly Right (will.i.am & Natalie Cole) - is ok, and More and More of Your Amour (Bitter:Sweet) - is not as bad as other tracks.
The rest of the songs or shall I say the new arrangements from the modern and cool artists are awful (from the point of view of a fan of Nat King Cole).
Be warned!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again