Red Light Fever
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£12.75+£1.26shipping

on 4 June 2009
Red Light Fever is easily the best Man-Rock album ever.

I should know, I wrote it.

I don't care if you buy the record or not but before you slag it off, give it a listen. Then slag it off.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 February 2009
What a brilliant and exciting return for Justin Hawkins. After a year or two away from the Rock music scene, he's back with new Super-Group HOT LEG. This is their debut album, Red Light Fever.

To start things off let's get things into perspective; not only are Hot Leg better than The Darkness, they seem to be gelling together more as friends and appear to be getting on swimmingly, so hopefully they'll be around for many years to come.
Tighter than an Italian Tennor's top trouser button, Hot Leg storm their way through 10 tracks of blistering fun-filled, rock-fuelled, wrecking ball romps, barely stopping to reload and filling your ears with delicious (it's GOT to be fattening) ear candy. Swooping block harmonies, thrashing guitar, brilliant drums and bass (dubbed the 'Power Zone' by the band),expert musicianship and they're most definatly not afraid to use keyboards to their campest abilities!

Of course, if you didn't much care for Hawkins' falsetto - Queen on Helium - power ballady - AC/DC riffing style then obviously you're not going to like this. The first track 'Chickens' pretty much confirms that Justin hasn't changed his song writing style (not that we'd ever ask him to).

Permisson To Land was an album that launched The Darkness in Super-Stardom. It was something different, a little off the hook but ultimatly, a damn fine piece of music. After a long wait the heat had died off a little allowing The Darkness to become figures of fun and ridicule rather than recieving praise for their obvious talent. One Way Ticket To Hell...And Back, I feel was more where Justin wanted to go with his music in the first place, and while it contains some of his best work to date the general feel of the album is a little too calculated for some, too studio experty. Bigger but not nessesarily better. Coupled with the fact The Darkness were becoming a rock cliche (drugs and arguments and a little too Spinal Tap) they were never going to last. The novelty for some had worn off well and truely and like all the brightest stars, they burnt out far too quickly.

But this is where Hot Leg differ, they are not a novelty and they won't wear off. They're not mega-stars anymore. The catsuits are gone. The glitter and gold, black panther pantomime is gone too, replaced with hot off the heals musian-ship which the band so obviously has and had in the first place.

Being out of the public eye is allowing Hot Leg to build up a strong following, hopefully they will have a few albums under their belt before the fickle world of main stream music. Bands that make it too big too quickly rarely last because they lack the substance that only comes after years a graft. Gimmicks grab attention, but become old quickly.

Hot Leg sound brilliant. They look well too. And as the fan-base swells, we're reminded just why we fell in love with The Darkness in the first place. This is something to get people up and moving, down and talking, driving and head banging. They will build up their sound and confidence. They will gradually filter into the soundtrack of our lives, and for Hawkins' fan base that never left his side, we are grateful he's still around. Not just around, but more of a musical force that he ever was when he was winning brit awards several years ago.

When I slipped this album into the CD player and pressed 'Play' I had a constant smile on my face for the next 35 minutes. Have they ever heard of doing things by halves? No? Brilliant!!! Roll on Hot Leg 2.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 February 2009
Justin Hawkins is back with a great new band and a fantastic debut album! I was fortunate to see and meet these guys in Exeter back in October and they put on such a great show. I knew one song at the time, 'Trojan Guitar', but that didn't matter as all the tunes were so easy to get into! While this is a fantastic album, it shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's great music yes, but it's also meant to be a bit of fun. Anyway, time for a track by track review:

Chickens: I think they opened with this when I saw them but I'm not 100% sure. It has a great riff for opening the album and imediatley begins to show Justin's huge vocal range with some massive falsetto. 8/10

You Can't Hurt Me Anymore - The first riff in this song sounds like something AC/DC would come up with, Justin's always had a penchant for stuff like that. This is a fantasticly catchy song with a great sing along chorus and pounding drums. 9/10

Ashamed - This is probably my least favourite song on the album but it's still very listenable to. It features Beverli Brown on vocals who Justin dueted with to try and represent Great Britain in Eurovision with. Not great but not awful either. 7/10

I've Met Jesus - One of the songs that I came out of the gig singing! I bought the single over christmas to try and get it in the charts but it wasn't happening. It's a very catchy song with another great chorus. Also the verse riff is very interesting. 8/10

Trojan Guitar - This song was made availiable for free download long before I saw them. It's the only song on the album that's longer than 5mins and is an epic rhomp through medieval times. A fine song. 9/10

Cocktails - I'd been watching the video for this song for about two weeks so I was pretty familiar with it by the time I got the CD. It's a fantastic single with some cheesey keyboards and a great, crude chorus. 10/10

Gay In The 80s - My favourite Hot Leg song, and another one I remember vividly from the gig. They are quite possibly the lamest lyrics ever to be recorded by a band but they just work here! 10/10

Prima Donna - A song to head bang to! Not one of my favourites but still a very good song. Lots more vocal harmonies and rhythmic bass. 8/10

Whichever Way You Wanna Give It - Another great song! This has probably the best chorus on the album and is just so damn catchy! (I seem to be repeating myself here!) 9/10

Kissing In The Wind - A nice ballady type song to finish of the album with. Quite a pleasant song but has some really awful lyrics. Lots of nice piano though. 8/10

Such a good album! In my opinion this is better than anything The Darkness ever made, although they were fantastic! Also, if you go onto Hot Leg's website, you'll be able to download a free song called 'Take Take Take' which is also pretty good! Just buy this, it's so fun.
on 5 June 2009
im not sure how i discovered hot leg, but since i have, ive been obsessed and in love. Being a huge fan of Justin, it was instint to purchase the EP and after id heard such tracks as Ive Met Jesus, i had found what rock and roll is about. the variety that ive found in red light fever is just amazing. i heard the album and although its shocking to begin with, you find yourself in love. if you think about it though, i bet you thought bohemian rhaphsody was weird the first time you heard that.

id highly reckonmend anyone Red Light Fever. youd be stupid not to infact! Man Rock has never been stronger!

ps. if you ever get the chance to see the Leg live, take it!
it was one of the best gigs ive ever been to, and ive seen millions of bands :)

pps. also, buy official Hot Leg tea towels if you get the chance. i did and ive never looked back!

on 11 February 2009
Hot leg are the perfect cure if not the remedying solution to the credit crunch with ten tracks of falsetto bouncing rockers which i missed since The Darkness imploded after their difficult second album.

"Chickens" is a stomper and screamer of a song may not be suitable for those who hate falsetto's but for those who enjoy a laugh which carries on in a similar form on "You can't hurt me anymore" whilst Justin and his former eurovision partner Beverlei Brown give the late Ike Turner and currently living Tina Turner a run for their money on "Ashamed".

If jesus was actually real he would have had a massive hangover from encountering Hot leg if the shoe was on the other foot as they rock out with no sweat on "I met Jesus" whilst adding their "Queens" we will rock you vibe on the epic "Trojan Guitars" and 80's influences onto "Cocktails" and of course "Gay in the 80's.

This band should be included amongst the line up for Download just to be a pleasing antidote to the back pains and stretched necks from moshing and head banging providing they do not get bottled off the stage and back into the earths atmosphere.
on 5 June 2009
Reading this review and wondering whether to buy this album or not?
Well you should be Ashamed of yourself if you don't. Whichever way
you want to buy it (CD, Red Hot vinyl, download), your senses will be attacked on all sides by a might array of Trojan Guitar and Cock-Man-Rock-tail rock ear candy. Delight in this, whether you were Gay in the Eighties or not. Hot Leg are awesome and you are a big fat Chicken if you continue to be a Prima Donna and don't buy this album and add it to you music collection. I guarantee you it will give you an I've met Jesus experience. You can't hurt me anymore than if you don't buy this ACE album. It is the record of the year, no wonder it has been top of the Man Rock charts since it's release in February '09. No other record can compete, and those that dare to try will just by Kissing in the wind!
on 5 June 2009
Well what can i say, after being just 12 when i first bought the darkness's album, my very first album out of my own money. Now comes this astonishing head banging, soul clenching new album, by a new reformed band. Hot leg, i mean hot leg, how hot is that name!!!!

the music is the flame and fire of the band. Something i've been personally waiting for along time. When playing loud in the car, your always assured a head turn and smiling faces.

the front cover for the album is just something i haven't seen in ages.

the music is something that i wouldn't of expected to ever hear again. But my god, my speakers must practically know the songs off by memory by the amount of times it's been blasted out with the whole album on repeat.

it just leaves you speechless when you listen from track one.

all i can say is, guys, go out, and get the album? it couldn't be any simple then that. THIS IS MUSIC! it puts all the critics to shame and let the hot leg kick into action. Because you will be caught between the fire.

I must say this has to be the best album of this year, and probably my best album out of my collection, INFACT the best i've actually heard overall.

No matter if your young or old. I was 12 when i first bought the darkness album. Now Relive that now, with red light fever, man the name is just so good! good? it's so hard not to use foul language to explain how good it is. So go!!! buy it!! it's worth every pound and penny.
on 5 June 2009
An absolutely cracking effort by Mr. Hawkins' new band - if you liked the Darkness, you'll love this.

If you weren't a fan of the Darkness, give it a try; perhaps there was something wrong with you the first time around.
on 5 June 2009
clearly album of the day, week, month or even year.... give it a listen, then see the band live its always fun from start to finish. there's not enough hours in the day to listen to the majesty of this album.
Red Light Fever