5.0 out of 5 stars A Damned Re-Invention!!
This was the 'Damned' entering their Gothic/psyche period,The album opens
with saxophone as the intro to the anthemic 'Street of dreams', i have
read other reviews griping about the use of sax on this album, i like it!
it adds to the ethereal atmosphere of the the album & of course it was used on
Stranger On the Town from the excellent...
Published on 31 Mar. 2009 by Rasputin "Czar"

2.0 out of 5 stars Limp Vanian Vehicle
The Damned have made a career out of challenging our expectations of them and in this respect (up until, that is, the truly lamentable 'Anything') 'Phantasmagoria' could be said to have been their most 'challenging' album - but for all the wrong reasons. For your money you get nine songs only, one being the turgid 'Trojans', an instrumental more suited to be the...
Published on 5 Sept. 2011 by Monty's Double

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Damned Re-Invention!!, 31 Mar. 2009
This was the 'Damned' entering their Gothic/psyche period,The album opens
with saxophone as the intro to the anthemic 'Street of dreams', i have
read other reviews griping about the use of sax on this album, i like it!
it adds to the ethereal atmosphere of the the album & of course it was used on
Stranger On the Town from the excellent 'Strawberries'(82)
'Phantasmagoria' was the first post Sensible album, & it became a different band so to speak & a more successful and streamlined one,from
the beutiful monochrome 'Gothic' cover, to the production,it almost has a laid back feel,just listen to the 'Floyd' like instrumental 'Trojans',the singles; Grimly Fiendish(Madness),Shadow of love & Is it A dream.
The Bonus disc is great! I much prefer the 'Grimly fiendish B-Side version of 'Edward the Bear' with Roman Jugg on vocals doing his best Syd barrett
impression & the BBC RADIO session tracks are also worth a listen
All in all this is a fine 'Damned album,& if you enjoyed 'Curtain Call'
from 'The Black Album' & 'The Dog' from 'Strawberries'there will be much
on 'Phantasmagoria' for you to enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gothic Music To Howl At The Moon To., 27 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Phantasmagoria (Audio CD)
The Damned at this stage of the game had moved away from their punky sound with the albums 'Black Album and 'Strawberries'. The next phase after these gems of piano-guitar laden songs was the goth scene. All dressed in black and without 'the Captain', but with new members Roman Jugg and Bryn Merrick, they took on a sound that mirrored old music halls and seaside organs. The growling 'Shadow of Love' and 'Grimly Fiendish' were pop treats that also made epic singles. Dave Vanian, jet black haired with a skunk stripe, bellowed his vocal style above the music menacingly and took us on a night journey through graveyards. The tracks 'Edward the Bear' (also a single B-side) and the instrumental 'Trojans' swept us along to the end of the album in no time at all, hardly felt my feet touched the ground. This has to be an all time smash, a true dark pop album that shines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phantastic!, 1 Nov. 2002
Gill Walker (Edinburgh, Midlothian United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phantasmagoria (Audio CD)
I forgot how much I loved this album. From the second that saxophone lures us down into the Street of Dreams to the driving bassline of Shadow of Love, through the intensely Gothic Pipe Organ intro to Sanctum Sanctorum and the quirky blues and honky-tonk of Grimly Fiendish and beyond, I'm sold. And I'm sixteen again. Damned good.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 1 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Phantasmagoria (Jpn) (Audio CD)
This is one of my all time favourite albums and like their next album "Anything" has not been available on CD for some time until recently.

Sonically the album has always been pretty top notch, however the remaster has improved on it. In addition, the packaging is rather good too. My favourite track is "Sanctum Sanctorum" and it sounds absolutely amazing.

Like a lot of remasters from Japan, instead of being in a jewel case, it comes in a sleeve resembling the original vinyl release which contains a replica of the inner sleeve too, a lyrics sheet in English and Japanese an most importantly the CD itself. To keep with the vinyl theme, the CD's label makes the disc resemble the special edition white vinyl release.

The track list is exactly the same as my 1985 CD which is the album plus 2 extended remixes of the singles "Shadow Of Love" ("Ten Inches Of Hell Mix") and "Grimly Friendish" ("The Bad Trip Mix"). It's a pity that some of the remaining 30 minutes capacity couldn't have been used by the extended remix of the other single "Is It A Dream?" ("Wild West Express Mix") and the alternative remixes of "Shadow Of Love" ("The Pressure Mix") and Grimly Fiendish ("Spic 'n' Span Mix") that were available on the 12" singles.

That aside I'm very happy with it. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gothic Rock album from the mid 80's, 10 Sept. 2009
Mark Broome "Mark B" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Phantasmagoria (Audio CD)
A lot of people seemed to raving on about how great this album was/is on the internet, and it seemed to appear in many lists to do with goth rock, so I thought I'd give it a try. I looked it up on itunes and downloaded some of the songs, and to say the least I was actually very impressed with what I heard. Sometime afterwards I bought the album from amazon uk and it was well worth it. As I'm always seeking out great goth rock albums from the hey day of this scene, usually without much luck, especially traditional gothic rock with lots of guitars etc. The cover is also great, with a young woman wearing some kind of long garment, walking away from the ruins of an eerie looking gothic structure. This album was also one of the first Damned albums to be signed to a major label.

I'm not familiar with the older punkier albums from the The Damned, but I might check them out at some stage. The cover of this album definitely does not lie as regards the music that it contains. The album starts off with 'Street of Dreams' that is a real scorcher to open the album. This song itself contains a lot of great music like great riffs, very interesting arpeggios and an unforgettable sax solo at the end. David Vanians vocals are also class. Like I said I'm not that familiar with the older Damned albums, but I'm sure David's vocals would've obviously been more punk orientated. Other songs that really stood out for me would be 'Shadow of Love' with its morricone guitars and excellent use of atmospherics. There is also 'There'll Come A Day' that is very catch and more great riffs. 'Sanctum Sanctorum' is another real gem and the longest song clocking in at over six minutes. This songs opens up with Dracula type organs and eerie thunder and lightening. There are barely any guitars in this song but it still works very very well without them, while still capturing a haunting feel.

The next part of 'Phantasmagoria' is just as interesting as the first. 'Is it a Dream' was also another single along with 'Grimly Fiendish', which I'll talk about a bit later. This song is also catchy, memorable and very well thought out. 'Grimly Fiendish' is another very good song, although not my favourite. I know some people will find this very funny but this is what Madness would probably sound like if they ever went gothic. The reason I say this is because of the fun-style poppy arrangements and the overall style of it. The next three songs apart forms `Edward The Bear' are truly excellent. The instrumental song 'Trojans' is a very memorable instrumental and a great way to end the album. I might decide to buy the new version of this album because the chances are it will be more than likely be remastered.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very atmospheric album for the most underrated band ever, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Phantasmagoria (Audio CD)
I bought a greatest hits album by The Damned, unsure if they were worth buying many albums after listening to Is It A Dream & Eloise after enjoying listening to them when I stumbled upon the band on YouTube. But I was a little disappointed it didn't have Is It A Dream, so I found this album, I wasn't too impressed by some of their songs from the greatest hits 'Smash It Up' and I was weary of buying this one as it could be a one hit wonder and the rest just skippable fillers.

My god I was wrong.

David Vanian's deep voice sent shivers through me on the first listen along with the fascinating Halloeween themed music, it was easily enjoyable without some of their shouty, hard rock songs.
The album reminded me of Disintegration by The Cure, slow but beautifully atmospheric and worth listening to again and again, it's such a shame they were never a big hit in their time, but I am very pleased I found them.

My favoruite two songs are Grimly Fiendish & Sanctum Santorium, and I was thrilled to find that not only did this album have Is It A Dream, but included two other versions as well! The same for a few others as well, it's a shame Vanian himself didn't write all these lyrics, because he pulled these songs off so well, but I did enjoy them nonetheless and look to buy some more of The Damned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Open wide the door........., 20 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Phantasmagoria (Audio CD)
Truly the greatest gothic album i have ever heard. While Machine Gun etiquette and strawberrys were very punk and may i add extremely brilliant, Phantasmagoria is more don't-look-behind-you gothic music. I listened to street of dreams and already i was overcome with amazement and awe and by the time Grimly Fiendish came on i was dancing like a lunatic. shadow of love will enter your subconscious and without realising it you will be humming it for weeks, and also check out Dave vanian's evil croone on Sanctum Sanctorum. Finally, and just when you thought it was too good to be true, there are even remixes at the end. I take my hat off to these guys- well done

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of my favourite Damned albums along with Damned Damned Damned and Machine ..., 21 Sept. 2014
One of the high points in The Damned's up and down inconsistent career. This is one of my favourite Damned albums along with Damned Damned Damned and Machine Gun Etiquette. I know some reviewers have problems with Phantasmagoria as a Vanian goth fest. That's a matter of taste. I don't have problems with that as on Phantasmagoria they do it really well!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best later Damned album, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Phantasmagoria (Vinyl)
A really great later Damned album. Albeit one that is 30 years old. The Damned are still a potent live force.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its often been said this is Goth, but why should it matter?, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Phantasmagoria (Audio CD)
The best way to view this stunning album is to forget the Damned were ever a punk band and take it at face value, and if that means going Goth then so be it. What does it matter? As with their punk days the Damned seemed to manage to encompass the style without the bile when punk and without the apparent savagery and doom laden lyrics when doing Goth - Marylin Manson take note! I recall buying the original vinyl LP on day of release and as soon as I saw the sleeve I just knew it was going to be that little bit special and was certainly not disappointed. Unlike some of my vinyl that inevitably got replaced by the CD I've never regretted buying this. Perhaps that slightly lunatic element has gone now that the Captain has sailed off into the sunset but that is not a retrograde step. Like some of the other reviewers it was initially a bit worrying when a saxaphone opened the proceedings on 'Street of Dreams' but that did not last for long. I've often said that 'Damned, Damned, Damned' is my favourite [Damned] album but this certainly gives it a very good run for its money albiet for vastly different reasons - hence they both got 5 stars. This is a classy album from start to finish and is worthy of a place in any CD collection. Please note that this review is for the original release and not the later ones which tended to include what I consider to be unnecessary clutter which detracts from the original.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria by Damned (Audio CD - 2009)