5.0 out of 5 stars Much underated
Published on 14 May 2006 by Girlvanian

2.0 out of 5 stars A supporter or a fan?
Published on 8 Oct 2009 by Seeker Solace

5.0 out of 5 stars Much underated, 14 May 2006
Much underated MCA release from The Damned's more commercial (minus Captain Sensible) career. Baffled by the MCA's exclusion of the number 2 hit Eloise that failed to appear on this album it still makes fantastic listening. Anything is a swirling mixture of fairground and circus theatrics (Tightrope Walk), classic 80's goth (The Girl Goes Down), cult cinema tributes (Psychomania) and the exquisite title track (Anything). The only turkey on this album for me is perhaps the instrumental track The Portrait. This album still stands the test of time as enjoyable now as in '86. Vanian's theatrical vocals first aired on The Black Album return for some more melodrama. As amazing as they are you can't expect The Damned to play three chords forever...or can you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Anything just got better, 26 Jun 2009
This review is from: Anything (Audio CD)
About time this got a new cd release! Original copies were going for as much as fifty quid on ebay. Suckers! And with the twelve inch mixes as well, this is a must have for a great price. The only track missing is the 'No sleep until Wednesday mix' of Eloise. But nevermind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anything: I like it!, 13 Feb 2010
This review is from: Anything (Audio CD)
For me first contact with the Damned came vis their hit single Grimly Fiendish, which instantly appealed to me as it bore more than a passing resemblance to Madness, my favourite band of my childhood. From there things only got better with Is It A Dream and Eloise and then Alone Again Or. I never bought anything by the Damned though I probably recorded some of the hits onto tape from the Radio 1 Top 40 countdown, but that would have been all.

Years later, when punk had ascended to its sparkly throne and been rather indulgently mythologised way beyond decency, I was to hear the earlier incarnation of the Damned, and whilst it was pleasant enough I wasn't leaping around in paroxysms of delight. But this was apparently the cool stuff, and Phantasmagoria/Anything-era Damned was most certainly not cool, and self-respecting music lovers were obliged to pooh-pooh it in accordance with protocol. Well, I wasn't having any of that, and I went hunting for the "uncool" Damned albums regardless, but to no avail for a long time. When finally somebody with a bit of mettle got around to spiffying them up and re-issuing them in 2009, I was delighted, and here I am with a two-disc delux edition of Anything.

Alone Again Or is as great as I remember it, and an example - as with the 7" version of Eloise (not collected here) - of a cover-version that can stand proud next to the original. The album weaves a meandering path through musical styles, always with a Hammer House Gothic charm. I am glad that the Damned had the ambition and drive to burst out of the straight-jacket-wearing punk scene, and go off inventing the likes of The Portrait - an elegant piano-based moody instrumental that must have had some punk-purists retching - or embracing Victorian melodrama or all manner of other ideas. Highlights of Anything, for me, are Alone Again Or, The Portrait and the epic In Dulce Decorum. There are also a couple of numbers that sound like filler, whilst The Girl Goes Down exudes atmosphere but really needed a decent lyric to match the tune. Anything, the song, meanwhile, as they hinted in the booklet, would have been a better song without the female backing singers.

Onto the extras, firstly I think it would have been better to group Temptation, Beat Girl, The Year Of The Jackal (which is a great track and a highlight of the extras) and Thanks For The Night on disc one, so that there were no repeats of album tracks on the main platter. The 12" and 10" versions of the singles in general are only of value as curios and don't add much to the originals. Whoever was doing the mixes had a tendency to break up and muddle up the lyrics, as on the two Eloise mixes (which, though a couple of minutes different in length, are strangely more or less identical to each other in their layout), which makes them a little frustrating, though I like the general notion of re-imagining the song as a dramatic pocket symphony. Alone Again Or is also treated to an ambitious make-over, but once again it loses some of the impact of the original version. The 12" of In Dulce Decorum is good, and it is also nice to have the 7" edit of Gigolo.

The Damned had grand aspirations which when fulfilled made for some mighty music. Anything is never dull, and I hope that the band don't allow the thought police to strip them of any pride they should have in this album.

2.0 out of 5 stars A supporter or a fan?, 8 Oct 2009
This review is from: Anything (Audio CD)
"I'll make my girl scream! I'll be her love machine!" screams Dave halfway through "Anything". In the history of Damned lyrics (discounting the abysmal Jack and the Beanstalk lp), these have got to be the greatest departure from what The Damned is all about. For me "Anything" is like your football teams new shirt. You don't like the colour or design, in fact you don't even know who the logo on the front represents, yet you fork out £60 for it anyway.Wearing it with pride. The Damned were (and still are) OUR TEAM! We were just so glad that they were finally getting some recognition and well deserved cash at last. Ironic that their biggest commercial successes were without the Captain and with possibly their worst two albums. But I went out and bought every single,LP, 12" and mix available. I'm also old enough to remember the tour and all the merchandise that went with it. Did I buy all that too? Of course I did.
How many tracks from the Phantasmagoria and Anything era do the current line up include in their set these days? Not many I reckon. Shadow of love, Street of dreams and Eloise are all that come to mind though I haven't seen them for a while.
Anything and Psychomania are great footstomping tunes but to be honest the rest of the album reeks of a band running short of ideas and as the sleeve notes record, in way too much of a hurry. Recent track like "Little Miss Disaster" and "Diamonds" from the "So, who's paranoid" album leave Anything in the shade and it's depressing to think that they'll never meet the mainstream ears they so deserve like The Damned did back in 1987 with a huge major label behind them.
The most underrated, under achieving band of all time? Possibly. One of the best? Definately. Not sure? Try "Damned, Damned, Damned", "Machine gun etiquette", The Black album" or "Strawberries" and decide for yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad 80s(Fairlight Synths) production!!, 31 Mar 2009
This review is from: Anything (Audio CD)
The Damned are one of my favourite bands, period! however this album is
the weakest along with the awful 'It's alright jack....'
'Anything' does have some good songs buried under the 80s glossy production,'Alone Again or' is a fine cover version ,& the epic 'In Dulce
Decorum'(once featured in an episode of 'Miami Vice')is wonderful piece
of gothic drama.The rest of the album sounds rushed & written in the studio.If you compare this album to 'Phantasmagoria', which had better songs, better production & the feel of a complete album,& stands up well
today even! Anything sounds just sounds well, erm.. like 1987.
I have to say the addition of an extra disc of 'B-sides' etc.. & extensive
liner notes make this a worthwhile purchase, that is why i have given 3 stars & not 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Been looking for this for ages, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Anything (Audio CD)
I had this on vinyl when it was first issued and since moving away from records (about 15 years ago) I was unable to find it on CD until I suddenly remembered Amazon sells absolutely everything (Anything - crap joke).

Must see if Amazon will sell me a Space Shuttle. There's a few spare ones in the US I believe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Great but Not Bad Either!, 5 Feb 2010
Santa Dog (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anything (Audio CD)
Not the Damned's best by a long way but worth a listen. What a shame that the 'No Sleep till Wednesday' mix of Eloise was not included. A truly fab remix of a great version of the song previously only available on an obscure 12". In fact two of the mixes of 'Eloise' seem remarkably similar if not identitical. Great news though that the band eventually found their feet again with 'Grave Disorder' and 'So Who's Paranoid' which are both worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars the damned - anything, 25 Nov 2009
This review is from: Anything (Audio CD)
I am a serious damned fan and this edition with the added extras is a must have

4.0 out of 5 stars Surreal, 11 April 2009
Mr. G. Williamson (Dundee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anything (Audio CD)
Remember when the Damned were never off television,again another album where daves voice is to the fore,a few stunning tunes and 2 stand out cover versions(no bad thing) made for the Damned.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great album!, 14 April 2009
This review is from: Anything (Audio CD)
I don't understand one reviewer who mentioned the song "I'm alright Jack" which isn't on this record....

I just got this CD remembering how my liking for the Damned came out of their stuff from the 80s. I was expecting to be disappointed know how controversial this album was to make ... but no disappointment ... not at all. In fact my regard for this album has increased!

Plus there are so many extras on this as well! Including their wonderful version of Eloise - the 12" version of this is sooo good.

Oh, plus this album and Phantasmagoria (especially that) got me into Goth - I would not have discovered so many other brilliant bands but for the Damned.

Plus this reissue's so cheap as well - two CDs for less than £10! Can't go wrong.

Brillant...

Anything
Anything by Damned (Audio CD - 2009)