5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and vivid music/video player!
First impressions first:
Published on 22 Jan. 2010 by GizmoGeek

3.0 out of 5 stars Serviceable, but has usability issues
I bought this because I was looking for an mp3 player that would accept OGG and FLAC files - two formats that are uncommon but superior to mp3 - and that had buttons rather than a touchscreen so I would be able to change track or alter the volume without having to look at it. In these respects, this mp3 player succeeded.

It also has decent sound quality so far...
Published on 6 Dec. 2012 by Anti-social Socialist

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and vivid music/video player!, 22 Jan. 2010
GizmoGeek (Hounslow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First impressions first:
Right from the unpacking, you can see why this is a winner; it doesn't use that horrible frustrating shrink wrap that will cut your hands - instead it comes in an elegant plastic box that you can close again; upon pulling it open, the player slides out on a plastic tray while below it a separate box contains the earphones and other accessories.

It is a pleasant surprise to see a decent bundle of accessories - in addition to the usual earphones, strap and USB cable you also have a line-in cable and a protective rubber casing (like the ones you'd use for a phone) - didn't expect to see that on an MP3 player! Unfortunately the software CD is a mini-disc so you wouldn't be able to use it on slot-load drives.

For this price, this features simply the best set of features I've seen.

The best thing I like is that in addition to the built-in 8GB storage, it also comes with a micro-SD expansion slot so you can upgrade as you like.

It plays different formats of audio and of course, the sound isn't so brilliant on the standard earphones but connecting my Sennheiser PC 31 Headset with Over Head Binaural VoIP brings out its real sound! The built-in speaker is quite good too...but then, don't expect much more than you would on a mobile phone.

Audio playback is good, with plenty of options such as EQ settings, fade-outs, A-B repeat etc. For some reason, the A-B repeat never made it to iPods.

The 240x320 pixel screen looks vivid and crystal-clear; video playback is as good as it gets on 2.2".

Menu icons are spaced quite nicely, and navigation is easy. You have a choice of menu animations and can set any of your photos as the background wallpaper.

Recorder is very good and comes with a ton of options.
You can use the built-in mic, or connect an external one through the line-in jack.
You can even record from the radio.

The buttons are arranged in a no-nonsense layout (except for the "options" key on the side) and offer a satisfying "click" when pressed.
Personally I don't like touch-screens or capacitive sensors because you can never use them without looking at it.
With this, I can easily operate it from inside my jacket.

Stuff I didn't like too much:

Video playback is only possible in landscape mode...and because it expects you to hold the player sideways, the controls get reversed (the + and - keys on the top and bottom become the Prev/Next keys while the other two turn into the volume control while playing video.

Entering the record mode automatically begins a new voice recording...instead of waiting for you to manually begin.

Feels a bit light and 'hollow' for its size. Personally I like something that weighs solid, but this is really not a bad thing either.

Radio doesn't feature RDS, but then that is asking for a bit too much I think.

All in all, the small inconveniences are massively overshadowed by the enormous features it bundles with; and I give this a perfect 5-star!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 9 July 2010
craig "jv7972" (oxford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transcend MP860 8GB MP3 and Video Player (Electronics)
Absolutely excellent mp3/mp4 player, sound quality is excellent and with various EQ settings (preset or manual)which cater for all types of music which is great for me. Files are organised in folder mode so album/artist look up is easy.
What impresses me most is that the player comes bundled with some brilliant extras. The player obviously, then they include admittedley not so good headphones, but little extras like a neoprene case, 3.5mm jack to jack cable to connect to an external speaker source, a neck strap and a wrist strap make all the difference. None of which you get with the much more expensive Ipods etc. Syncing is a breeze using Windows Media Player and with the Micro SD Card Slot infinate memory capacity is yours for the asking, just swap the micro sd cards when you need to. WMA files are to me much better quality,crispier sound, smaller file size and alot more friendly to work with than the unforgiving AAC format that other brands use. I have owned Ipods, Sony's and Creative's so am not an MP3 virgin but honestly for the price this little gem cannot be beaten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little player, 31 Dec. 2010
John Carass (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transcend MP860 8GB MP3 and Video Player (Electronics)
I bought this because I was put off by the I-Player hype and silly prices. Glad I did! The MP860 is a great little machine with better features than many. You can record direct from the radio, voice, external mike and line-in from a cd player. Controls seem a little quirky but soon became familier and they are very easy to use. A firmware update improved the EQ settings and menus. The screen is very clear and sharp, I downloaded a book to see if it was possible to read...yes it was!
Loading music was very easy, just drag and drop in Windows through a USB2 lead (I use Windows 7 which is straightforward plug and play)For £10 I added an 8GB Micro SDHC card giving me a massive 16GB capacity)
Battery life is good, I left it on repeat playing music and it turned off 18 hours later when I picked it up and adjusted the volume.

3.0 out of 5 stars Serviceable, but has usability issues, 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Transcend MP860 8GB MP3 and Video Player (Electronics)

It also has decent sound quality so far as my ear can tell, but I don't have expensive earphones or speakers so I can't rate it up too highly for that. The equaliser is also functional. Transferring music to it is easy. As someone who uses Ubuntu Linux, I appreciated the ability to use drag-and-drop rather than proprietary software that may not have functioned.

Unfortunately, there were also downsides. First of all, some albums' track order were completely jumbled up. This meant that I had to use the limited 5 playlists to line up my tracks in order. Second, you can only have 5 playlists at once, and there is no playlist-as-you-go function - such restrictions make no sense to me at all. Third, once tracks are in the playlists you can not change the order - you have to get it right first time. Fourth, the buttons lack responsiveness; although they click when pressed, this does not necessarily mean that they have sent a signal. Even when a signal is sent, there is a noticeable latency meaning that you have to wait for the mp3 player to catch up with you whilst browsing. Finally, and this doesn't always bother me, the 860 doesn't pre-load the next track, so albums where songs lead into one another can be interrupted. If this never bothers you, then it doesn't matter, but if it does then you should avoid the 860.

So three stars is about right; it functions, but is far from a seamless user experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Transcend MP860 MP3 player, 20 Sept. 2010
G. Fleming (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transcend MP860 8GB MP3 and Video Player (Electronics)
Very good value for money. I would have given it 5 stars but it fooled me when its battery ran flat overnight. Twice. For a while I was convinced the battery was faulty.

Well of course you need to turn it OFF. But it is easy to overlook this as the screen (saver?)
blanks automatically to save power (after about 30 seconds-can be changed). Then ,when you plug it in to a USB port to charge it,the animation does not show the state of charge-so it looks like the battery is not charging.

You can set an auto power off timer- the default setting seemed to be inactive. There is also a sleep timer which does the same thing although the instructions do not make it clear what is the difference. I concluded the sleep timer is a one-off thing.

Otherwise it is impressive. I might buy a mains charger and a micro SD card to expand the memory.

I use it for learning languages. I like the text reader. I can set a track playing and then
switch to reading notes on the text reader. Voice recorder might be useful too.

Photos displayed are a bit dark even with max. screen brightness. Have not tried the video player or installed any software. Probably won't bother.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking little player, 27 Feb. 2010
Jon Smith (West Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transcend MP860 8GB MP3 and Video Player (Electronics)
I bought this player in 2010 and its still going strong (I thought Id written a review at the time but evidently not) - Any how better late than never - this review may perhaps prove more valuable as it demonstrates the durability of this player.

My model is deffo. an MP860 - yet it has a built in radio receiver as described in the 870 model - not sure this is still the case. It has an 8gb internal memory and a micro sd slot (which the manufacturers suggest can take upto 16GB cards) - Ive just installed a 32GB card and it works perfectly - thus perhaps demonstrating the upgradability of this cracking little player.

It charges through USB and has a none renewable battery - Still going strong after medium usage of say an hour or 2, 2 or 3 times a week over 2 years.

Both the internal memory and the micro sd card are recognised by windows as independant drives (supporting all the usual functions including drag and drop).

The player supports a good range of formats including flash video (flv) but sadly these have to be converted using the software available from Transcends web site or other freely available soft wear - This is my only niggle (but its no big deal). Mp3 on the other hand works straight from download, which suggests that Mp4 probably does too (though I cant recollect).

The menu system and navigation buttons are slighty slower than ipod's wheel, but in my opinion thats a small pice to pay for the advantages of not having to use Apples stifling software.

I have an 80GB Ipod - but I have to say that my (now 40GB) Transcend player has been used on a daily basis and offers far more functionality and versitility than my Ipod ever has.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 4 Aug. 2013
sound quality great
speed n slow songs feature brilliant
memory storage usefully large - with memory card extension
easy to use

3.0 out of 5 stars how do you record, 26 Sept. 2010
R. J. Reynolds (West Sussex England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transcend MP860 8GB MP3 and Video Player (Electronics)
Nice bit of aquipment but it is difficult to understand the directions for recording particularly radio transmissions, the computer recognises the the implement but the so called free software only recognises i pods.

Any suggestions.

RJR

1.0 out of 5 stars Very fragile, 16 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Transcend MP860 8GB MP3 and Video Player (Electronics)
The product looks great, specifications are great and unique. It also is excellent value for money if it works.
Within half an hour of my receipt of this product, while charging and loading some music, it just stopped working. It would not charge again and I have no idea why.It would not even work as an external hard drive and hence the whole system had failed. If it works, it is a great product. It does have reasonably good speakers and good display screen.

Transcend MP860 8GB MP3 and Video Player