4.0 out of 5 stars update details.
Published on 11 Nov. 2009 by S. ULLYATT

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor product, even worse support from Garmin
As many other have pointed out, it's impossible to load map updates for the whole of Europe onto your Nuvi, but what Garmin fail to tell you is that when you choose to load just one country (so that it will fit), it overwrites a lot of the detail of existing maps you had on there for all other countries.

Fine you think, I'll just use a SD card, as that was an...
Published on 27 Jan. 2012 by Ian Locke

4.0 out of 5 stars update details., 11 Nov. 2009
S. ULLYATT - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Nmaps - Full European Lifetime Map Updates for nuvi series (Electronics)
update took about 2hrs on good broadband connection, back of pack states you need 1gb ram and 15gb hard drive space for download. i have a 1.24gb and the storage space although the main download file was only 3.46gb. when it came to uploading to my garmin nuvi 255 which had a europe map on it, it said i didn't have room for the whole file and i had to select a file to load - uk and eire which didn't take long to load. the other maps are on my laptop and i guess if i need them i can easily put them on instead or it says to use an sd card. this lifetime update has certain provisos - 1 its only for a single device not transferrable 2 if it dies, unlucky although i would try and plead my case 3 only for as long as garmin use their current map supplier - how long is a piece of string? voted hot and if i get more than 1 update i'll probably be quids in.
didn't come with any decent instructions but go to garmin site and after registering and connecting your gps select activate gift card and type in your activation code - once done the only minor snag i had was a window saying i had to close all windows to continue after closing the internet connection and restarting it worked fine. ps see HUKD search garmin and get it for about £68 from comet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor product, even worse support from Garmin, 27 Jan. 2012

Fine you think, I'll just use a SD card, as that was an option somewhere in the very long process I went through to upload the maps. Not quite as simple as that though, as when you logon to the Garmin software, it tells you all your maps are up to date (which you kind of know for the one you just loaded, but obviously not the case for the ones you had to miss out).

There is seemingly no option to let you upload different maps, and the Garmin website is no use whatsoever, so you need to contact Customer Support.

AND WAIT, AND WAIT, AND IN FACT AFTER 7 DAYS I'M STILL WAITING, WHICH IS APPALLING SERVICE!

Well Garmin, there may well be an easy way round the problem that I encountered, but until you deign to get back to me, it's got to be a ONE STAR for your product, and ZERO STARS for your service!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, worth doing but a hassle, 6 Sept. 2011
Firstly, the price is much cheaper than on the Garmin website, and very similar to only getting an individual update so well worth doing.
The problem is the very slow download speed, I left mine downloading all night, select download to the computer and not to the unit itself as this is problematic, and the maps were there in the morning.
The next problem is getting the maps onto the unit, I had problems with the Map Install program, so I used the Map Source program which is much better, try to get these programs before downloading.
I have found that deleting the original maps on the unit first in the Garmin folder (backup the satnav just in case) is the best way to do this, this will clear at least 1.6GB on your unit which you can then put all of Western europe on it with the Map install/Source program, then put all the remaining Eastern countries and Turkey/Greece on the SD card, you won't need more than a 1GB card then.
People don't seem to understand that the new maps are getting bigger so they do not all fit on the unit, but you can still get 90 percent of it onto the unit and expand the units capacity with an SD card, I don't see the problem with this and I think that people are unfairly blasting Garmin over this.
Anyway, do not delete the base map( gmapbmap file), only the big map file.
Also, these new maps will always be at least 6 months behind anyway, so don't expect all new roads to be on them.

UPDATE: No need to delete the old map as the Mapsource program will overwrite the maps that are on the Nuvi with the newer maps, but still do not try to put everything on the unit as it does not have the room for the entire Europe map, just put Western Europe on the unit itself and the rest onto an SD card.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product - once you've got it installed . . ., 9 Oct. 2009
DLS (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The maps are great - only had one problem turning off a brand new motorway in Poland. Used it as a handheld getting around Dresden on foot/public transport, plotting attractions and restaurants. Really pleased.

This giftcard option is cheaper than buying direct from Garmin, and I like the idea of updates for not so much more than a one-off. Not experienced an update yet so can't comment on that.

The hassle was with getting it all set up. The Garmin website! - finding the relevant sections for download and support is a pain. Their helpline will sort you out, but that is useless if you are doing it out of hours - the email support takes days to get back to you

As others have said, download to PC takes forever, but you can leave it to run.

Maybe, if my Nuvi 200W hadn't been a present, I would have known it has insufficient memory to load all of Europe into it. But I didn't, so was confused when I tried to load the maps as you could only chose one (various options of individual countries or regions). Whatever you load overwrites the exisitng map on the satnav - but you can change/reinstall. The install software isn't particularly fast.

To use the whole Europe map, I had to buy a 2MB (maximum) standard SD card and SD card reader and load the map onto that.

Just wish there had been some Garmin website guidance on all this so that it didn't turn into a last minute nightmare. I deducted one star for the hassle

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusion over different product key, 15 Sept. 2010
Having just bought this (as the price had come down to £61), I went ahead and tried to download. The first thing that happened was that everything stalled as I had to download a new browser plugin.

Having done that I was a bit concerned that it might have eaten my product key, and when I reviewed my account, the map update was shown with a different product key,
and an expiry date 12 months from download. I was a bit concerned about this, so I contacted Garmin and this is the reply they sent so me...

"The map download in your account is designed to expire after one year.
This is only for the current map download in your account and will not
affect your lifetime map update subscription. When the next map update
is available it will also be available to download in your account for
one year or until the next update is downloaded.

Each mapping download will have a different product key, when you start
to download you will be given a new product key for the new mapping
update."

Hope this helps.

Conclusion - download the plugins before you use the update card!

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually better than my first impression, 25 Jun. 2011
I bought the Garmin Numaps Lifetime after struggling with 2+ year old maps on my Garmin Nuvi 250W that increasingly didn't match the roads I was driving on. I had thought for some time over buying a new unit (with shiny new features) or being prudent and just updating the maps in my reliable Garmin Nuvi. I plumped for buying this new maps for the life of my Garmin.

You will probably need, like me, to expand the memory in your Nuvi with a 4GB SD card. My first map update on purchasing this Numaps Lifetime was a bit painful to say the least BUT Garmin were helpful and emailed me some instructions that I'd not found in their website help sections. I've now been able to put UK/Ireland directly onto the unit and then add the rest of Europe to the SD card by running the Garmin Mapinstall software a second time.

So, after some initial frustrations, I'm now quite happy with this purchase. I just wish there was advice up front that you will need to expand the memory with an SD card and then clear instructions on installing the rest of the mapping onto the expanded memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars I needn't have worried!, 29 Aug. 2011
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Some of the reviews on this page made me feel I'd have to get "psyched up" and set aside a day at the minimum to update the the maps using this card on my girlfriend's Garmin Nuvi 1690. I need not have worried - I connected the satnav via USB; logged onto the Garmin site and entered the code supplied on the card; a small piece of software was installed onto the PC which then took me though the update. The map update took about 2.5 hours to download on a 5MBPS broadband connection. The software then invited me to install the updated maps which took two minutes or less and that was it. I restarted the unit and my girlfriend zoomed in on a known map error near Hemel Hempstead, and, it had been corrected in the update proving that changes had been made to the old map as verified by the Garmin site.

It was noteworthy that the unit memory was sufficient to cope with the upgraded maps, none of the existing data like favourites etc. was wiped or, indeed, any of the photos stored on the device.

Of course, I am speaking about the upgrade process - we have yet to test the efficacy of the updates in terms of picking up new roads etc. Given that Garmin publish frequent operating system updates for their units on an ad hoc basis I do not understand why maps cannot be updated in the same way e.g. why do we have to download the whole upgrade at once - if a known change occurs can't it simply be added to the map as it is verifed? - however, this thought probably shows a shortcoming in my technical understanding rather than Garmin's approach.

Oh yes, and finally, given that the card can only be used to update one registered sat nav it makes sense to buy this card soon after buying the satnav unit to get as many updates as possible, although, bear in mind Garmin currently allow you a free update for up to 90 days of activating a device.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lifetime updates? Yes, please!, 22 May 2009
Tom Raftery (Seville, Spain) - See all my reviews
I bought a Garmin Nuvi back in 2006. Love it. It has been really useful as I do a lot of travel and I can use it in cities I am unfamiliar with all over Europe as a walking guide as well as for driving.

Of late, I was noticing that more often the maps were out-of-date. Roads had gone one-way. New roads had been built, etc. so I went to look into updating the maps.

For a little extra, instead of getting a once-off update, I could get a lifetime of updates? Superb!

I went with that option. I have now updated the maps on the Nuvi and find it a joy to use once more.

The 3gb download is a bit of a downer (takes quite a while!) but other than that, no regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never miss another map update, 13 Feb. 2011
(VINE VOICE)
For a one time fee you get lifetime map updates on your nuvi. This has to be a bargain, as I have paid that much just for a map of Spain on another platform. Updates are roughly quarterly. This is a scratch card. You register the product to your nuvi online and that is it! Each time you connect to the Garmin "myGarmin" web site, it checks the version of maps you have and then downloads an installer if there is an update.

Downloading and installing new maps takes about two hours on my machine and connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin NUMAPS lifetime Europe, 19 Mar. 2011
T. Dubail "tomberg" (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
Something that needs to be specified: This item is not only for the Nuvi series. It is compatible with Nuvi, Zumo, GPSMAP, Quest and Area series.

Easy to use: Connect your GPS to your PC. Log into https://my.garmin.com/ go to "Manage Maps" and press "Activate Gift Card", insert the key, Download the file, install and open the program and follow the steps.

Granted, I haven't actually tried it on the road since the update, but according to my gps, the map software is brand new.

Buying from Amazon (make sure that Amazon is the actual seller) is much cheaper than from the Garmin website, and you have nothing to worry about as Amazon has a very respectable returns policy, in case the activation code doesn't work.

Overall: Cheap, Compatible with most Garmin products (NOT ONLY NUVI), easy to install. My download took rougly 1.5 hours, but depending on your internet speed this can vary.

Good Luck!