5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple to use even for SatNav newcomers!
Published on 8 Sep 2009 by Reddhead

3.0 out of 5 stars reasonable sat nav
Published on 9 Oct 2009 by MH

5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple to use even for SatNav newcomers!, 8 Sep 2009
Reddhead (Looe, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Nuvi 200 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps (Newly Overhauled) (Electronics)
We were not convinced that we needed a SatNav or that having bought one, we would be able to use it but a looming holiday in the Lake District encouraged us to invest in this bargain priced unit. It had good write ups and so we thought it was worth a try. Very glad we did! Several times on the way up from our home in Cornwall up through the M5/M6 corridor we had to divert as the motorways were closed because of accidents. Nightmare usually but the little Garmin took it all in it's stride and we wandered through towns we had never heard of and avoided the queues. The whole holiday, we used it daily and found it easy, clear and useful. All for a very low price, couldn't be happier. If you are thinking about it but don't want to risk too much money or time? Go for this one, it's a good choice. Gadget experts may want more "Extras" but we didn't so it was perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most deffinitely value for money, 5 Sep 2009
M. J. Moffatt (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This was bought as a present for my son who lives in London. He needed something of this type to navigate through, and around the London area as well as to circumvent the congestion charge zone. This is a basic satnav and if you want something without all the bells and whistles then this is for you. At first sight you may think that because this is a basic machine and only contains the British Isles mapping that it is not up to the job. This most certainly is not the case. My son informs me that far from being a second rate machine it is more than adequate for his purposes. He was more than delighted when he told me it informed him of speed cameras and he was most impressed when it told him of average speed cameras. It was easy to set up with a clear and precise image, and although it gave him the option of choosing an image of different cars to follow the mapped road he chose the basic arrow. But this is of course a personal preference. The criteria that I use for how good a product is - is would I buy the same thing again if it was necessary and in this case I have to say I would. It navigates without fault (up till now) around London and around the country; this after all is what it is meant to do. I personally fail to see the point in paying hundreds of pounds for a satnav that will turn itself into a telephone or a screen to show pictures of the family. This does what it says on the box, navigates you by the aid of satellites and is affordable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, Service & Product!, 13 Aug 2009
Jujo (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
Delivered in less than 24 hours from order time & works a treat!
Acquired the satellite within 4 mins (first time) under 30 seconds there after, calculates the route within seconds & recalculates immediately when needed.

Came with the instructions (you truly do not need them, it is very simple to use) & an in-car charger.
Any mini USB cable will connect it to your PC so if you have an older digital camera or "smart" mobile phone you probably already have one; if not you can pick them up for a few pounds here or from any high street electrical retailer/PC shop.

Guided me through A 900+ mile round trip to a cottage at the end of a 2 mile dirt track in the middle of nowhere...without fault or hesitation.
I also had to use the "points of interest" for Petrol stations, cash machines & restaurants along the way...worked well & found a very good selection for me.

It does not have all the bells & whistles of the newer sat navs such as a poor quality MP4 player or a nearly working Bluetooth, it just does the job it's is meant to do...get you from A-B with no grief, stress or fuss.

Well worth the money & no regrets after the purchase.

N.B. "U-TURN" does not appear to be within the Garmin Nuvi's vocabulary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 24 Aug 2009
Ozgur Cevik "ozimuko" (UK) - See all my reviews
Recently I have bought this satnav and from the start I am really happy with Garmin. Had no problem with satellite reception or registration problem as many critics has mentioned. It does not have many features but it is simple to use, very affordable price, wide clear uncomplicated display, clear voice and it does it's job. Shows the map and address, make you aware about the speed cameras, and basicly finds your way... Of course for UK & ROI only. If you are tide with budget, if you don't bother with bluetooth, live update maps, mpeq movie players, here you go...

3.0 out of 5 stars reasonable sat nav, 9 Oct 2009
Opened the box and found the vehicle suction cup was broken. I returned the unit as faulty (first time I have ever had to return anything) and was a little worried something would go wrong or charged twice etc. Well I'm happy to say it was totally hassle free,speedy and a seamless process. The replacement sat nav was fine apart from when registering for the free trial speed camera updates. The unit had already been registered, but this was unlocked by Garmin. It was bought to be used, perhaps a couple of times a year, which for the price is ok. If I were to use it more often I would probably spend more money as I feel the instructions when on motorways can be quite confusing as to which turn off/lane to be in. Overall, I haven only used the sat nav on a few occassions where I wasn't sure of my route and found the map could be a little outdated. The service provided by Amazon I would rate highly, the sat nav I would rate above average.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent piece of kit, 26 Aug 2009
This is so simple and quick to use, I would recommend it to anyone, but especially those who may not be completely comfortable with technology. Lovely clear large screen, clear instructions given well in advance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 21 Aug 2009
Mr. A. J. Goldsbrough (England) - See all my reviews
Arrived together with case ordered on time. Easy to set up and fully charged when arrived. Easy to register with Garmin and took advantage of free month's trial of speed camera warnings. Given we were travelling to Scotland, proved exceptional to avoid speeding fines. Very user friendly and would recommend without hesitation for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 200 Wide Screen, 26 July 2009
If you fancy a basic sat nav then go for this as it's not all singing and dancing, it has a SD card slot as well.

The unit is wonderful as I can't map read to save me life! it usually ends up me going to wrong way and shouting at the husband for telling me I missed my turn.

Oh what a joy had a quick test run from friend to home and I've no idea as to why I hadn't got one sooner.

I've had it a few days now and I am in love with it.

The down side is I brought a cable to connet to the pc and I didn't need it, if you have a creative labs MP3 player the lead works from that and with a case I found that it fit in my nintendo DS case so don't go spending a lot of money on a case as I ordered a nintendo DS case and it fits lovely.

Nothing bad to say about this unit at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi widescreen, 8 Aug 2009
Garmin Nuvi 200 Widescreen Satellite Navigation System - UK & ROI Mapping, Newly OverhauledClear wide screen, concise instructions. Although described as newly overhauled, there was nothing to suggest that the unit had been previously used. Remember to buy the charger and the USB lead, neither of which were included in the box. Downloading from Garmin relatively easy, but better on line help would be a bonus. Delighted with the purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great as long as you don't live in London, 11 Oct 2009
Barry Chan "Sketchbook18" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I got the Garmin a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly. Everything was clear, the screen was nice and big, the directions all okay... and then i had to drive through central london.

This thing simply loses the plot in london. It tells you to turn left and then, when you do, it stops and re-calculates your route! Then it tells you do a u-turn where you're not even allowed to take a right turn and then randomly tells you to turn left at the very last second after its done its 5th bout of re-calculating the route it's already told you to go. The update in central london is awful with it struggling to keep up with you after yet another bout of re-calculating. Seeing as i live in london, this is quite a problem!!

Also, seems to struggle to get a signal after it rains too for some reason and takes forever to start up.

The thing is, central london is perhaps the one place where you would really want quick and clear instructions because it has some of the most ridiculously confusing roads in the country and some of the worst drivers so its important to know where you're going and to be in the correct lane, etc. I can't believe that this has been released without it being tested in london of all places.

1 star if you live in london, 4 stars if you live anywhere else (i assume!)