on 12 December 2012
I bought this item to secure my children's scooters at school. However the first day I used it there was a shower of rain. The unit has rusted and totally seized up. I cannot believe it has done this and is still attached to the fence at school, I've tried everything including WD40 to free the lock but it having non of it. I'm disappointed that I waisted my money on what looked like a brilliant product.
11 comment11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2010
I bought this to replace a similar item that had broken. I use it to padlock together two kitchen cupboard doors in a holiday property abroad that we do not want guests to get into. This means that the link between the doors needs to be as tight as possible otherwise guests will open it as far as they can and get inside (believe me!). It would help if this had a cable that could retract when locked, that is that you could tighten once in position. Despite shortening it as much as possible before doing it up you still need a bit more slack to make the connection than is required when fastened. Otherwise it is fine!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 April 2013
I purchased this recently to use on a trip to Belgium with 2 other people and it came in really useful. Great for locking several suitcases together on a train so that you don't need to worry about them being grabbed. It's nice to have a 4 dial combination lock instead of the typical 3 dial. There are essentially 2 buttons and one extra small one to set the combination lock code. One button releases the cord so that you can extend or retract the wire (which extends to just under a metre). Thread the cable through your luggage bags and/or rucksacks and then pop it into the lock. The second button releases the cable lock. It's about the size of a clamshell phone and is very light so ideal for travelling.
One thing to note though is when you've finished threading the cable through your luggage, you should press the button to retract the cable just enough so that you can place the end in the lock (so that the cable is as taught as possible). Once locked in this manner, the cable can not be extended by using any of the buttons and is more secure.
on 5 October 2009
very useful little gadget to use as a backup for normal bike locks. I use it to secure front and back wheels in addition to chaining the bike to the bike rack. Its also light enough to carry on a long ride in case of having to nip into a shop or public toilets for 5 minutes or so.
VINE VOICEon 9 December 2013
I took this lock on a three month backpacking trip, and it definitely provided me with peace of mind a few times, when my accommodation or transport didn't feel secure enough. The combination is easy to set up, and the cable was long enough (although sometimes only just) in every situation I wanted. My main problem is that really it is only putting off very lightweight opportunists: the plastic body of the lock doesn't feel very secure and I suspect that someone with a hammer/the leg of a chair could break it and swiftly take your bag without any problem. This is only a problem if the person has time and no witnesses, so it might be slightly less use in your room during the day, but would be more use on a bus where people will notice someone bashing at your bag! But then again, in your room, someone could cut the handle off your bag anyway.

Overall, I had a look at heavier duty cable locks (for bikes etc) and decided they were too expensive, and that is probably true: in 99% of situations this lock will give you the peace of mind you need, but if you have a bigger cable lock handy or can borrow one, I'd take that.
VINE VOICEon 20 July 2009
Just the thing to take on your hols . Used it to secure cases in the wardrobes as hotel was deemed unsafe on reviews 10/10 for our needs
on 3 April 2010
While this device may not prevent theft if someone is determined, it is certainly good enough to deter the opportunist ski thief and small enough to pop in your ski jacket pocket.
on 1 December 2009
Had a pair of skis stolen last winter - this item is perfect to prevent a recurrence. Item is sturdy and easy to use.
on 3 December 2012
Being a bit cackhanded, I did wonder if I would be able to use it but it has proved to be very easy to use. I keep it in a little bag on my bike - and use it to secure my bike when popping in to the post office etc. It would be strong enough to deter a casual thief - but I would not rely on it for overnight security for my bike.
on 21 April 2010
I bought two of these to use on ski holidays for securely locking our skis. Very easy to set up the code, neat so they fit in your jacket pocket & worked well.