4.0 out of 5 stars 3D Home Designer
Published on 30 July 2009 by Paul Hanratty

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating - I guess you get what you pay for
I bought this just for fun really - I enjoy the house design side of things like The Sims and wanted to do some more detailed, less restricted designs. I'm an experienced PC user (and an IT teacher!) and I'm used to learning new packages but this one wasn't as much fun or as easy as I was hoping.

I'm running this on my Windows 7 laptop which has a separate...
Published on 25 May 2010 by Alycya Jane

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating - I guess you get what you pay for, 25 May 2010
Alycya Jane (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD) (CD-ROM)

I'm running this on my Windows 7 laptop which has a separate graphics card, but it seems to struggle with rendering the 3D. It reverts to the wire-frame view everytime you move the mouse, and I've not been able to walk through anything successfully. The design itself is hit and miss too - I've tried to recreate our house, but cannot get the gable end of the old part of the house to match up with the extension - I end up with a hole in the wall every time! There are other frustrating things too - measurements are difficult to get precise when drawing a wall, I cannot get a cooker top to sit on a kitchen counter, or rotate the built in oven to face away from the wall! To change the material for the outside walls I have to select each wall individually - I've tried selecting them all and then applying the change, but it doesn't work. The online manual is ok, but hasn't really helped to solve any problems. The preset measurements for things like windows, kitchen cabinets and appliances aren't UK-based either - I'm guessing they're American. Having said that, the appearance of everything is customisable which is good.

The other thing that annoyed me was that I had to go online and register to get an activation code to run the software - without it, it wouldn't work. I really don't want to give out my e-mail address and personal details to a software company I don't know and resent being forced to do this just to make the product work.

For a fiver, I guess I can't really complain, but I'm going to uninstall it and not waste any more time getting frustrated with it I'm afraid.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not UK spec, not user friendly., 22 Jun 2010
This review is from: 3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I bought this mainly to do floor plans, the main issue I have is that because it is American there is no option for British spec homes, none of the wall depths and wall type options are suitable, British houses have solid or cavity brick walls 250-300mm deep, and sometimes concrete or timber frame. The appliances, electrical fittings etc are all US spec.
I would like to be able to create my own short cuts for providing text, this does'nt seem possible, you have to use the menu everytime to do this, again alot of common terms used in Britain such as reception room, conservatory, kitchen/diner, utility room and scullery are not available. I would like there to have been an option for squared paper as a background for floor plans but there is'nt.

I also greatly resent having bought the software being forced to send my details via email to obtain an activation code, despite unticking boxes, I am still being sent unwanted junk mail by the software company.

A frustrating and unnecessarily fiddly piece of software.

If it was'nt for the low purchase price I would have given this just 1 star instead of 2 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3D Home Designer, 30 July 2009
Paul Hanratty (Tyne and Wear) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I purchased this software for my 10-year old grandson, Ross, who is obsessed with house design. I'm not particularly technical but was able to load and set up the programme very quickly. Ross easily found his way around the tools and has already produced a number of impressive designs. We are about to remodel our bathroom and he is eager to produce the design. I have no idea whether serious house builders/ designers would rate this item, but as a basic programme for fun more than anything it is well the few pounds it cost and it has made Ross very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good software, 23 Feb 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: 3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
This software is amazing.

I don't know how it would compare to high tech. equipment but it seems to work really well. I am an 11 year old and was looking for something cheap but to do the job, whilst looking around i saw this one and the software met my expectations. It arrived 4 days later. I loaded the software onto my laptop and that went surprisingly quick.

Its quite easy to find your way around as it has little icons to give you some guidance. There is also alot of furniture but annoyingly there's no TV's. If you're really technical you could try designing your own house. However you need patience.

When you've loaded the disc, the first time is fast as your'e getting the info off the disc, on the other turns it's not as fast and may slow down your computer or laptop. the difficult bit is when you fit the stairs in a small spot.

Another good feature is when you click on the roof icon then (roof by perimiter) this button will automatically fit the roof for you.

The graphics are ok but you can get precice movement.

have fun creating houses and rooms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3d home design, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: 3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Good idea to plan on computer enjoyed time trying to plan different ways of seeing a room or house in real 3d visuals
Could be Easier to navigate but worth the price thank you enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: 3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
it came on time and its perfect for people that like to build houses and see them come to life great job

3.0 out of 5 stars great product but not compatible with assistive technology, 13 Aug 2009
This review is from: 3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
I bought this software after finding it on Amazon and my reasons for buying it were a combination of a great low price, capible software and a curiosity about desinging a future house for myself. The software is very user friendly. When you start the programme there are very easy to follow instructions to determine the shape, number of floors and style of your design. The software itself had no problems but, it was when i tried to use my assitive technoligy that the problems started. I understand that this is no fault of the product and it may not be a broadly experienced problem but, it is worth keeping in mind. Overall it is a very useful tool for generating a 3d image of your design.

2.0 out of 5 stars 3D Home Designer, 17 Aug 2010
This review is from: 3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Does not appear to function properly. Computer keeps turning off when one tries to use it

2.0 out of 5 stars ok but not use it really, 15 Jan 2010
G. Jones "Gareth079" (Brum, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Had a mess about.. seems ok but not as easy as it could be to use.

3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD)
3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD) by Avanquest Software (Windows 2000 / Vista / XP)