5.0 out of 5 stars Florence and the Machine Lungs - Vinyl
This is a review for the vinyl edition of Florence and the Machine Lungs album. It's now a couple of months since I've had this album and I still don't tire listening to it. The Gatefold Vinyl presentation is first class - photography on both inner and outer cover tremendous plus photography on both sides of the sleeve insert makes this a fine addition to my vinyl...
Published on 14 Sep 2009 by Massimo Stefani

3.0 out of 5 stars Errrr.... yeah it's ok
Having bought Ceremonials I decided to invest in another Florence + The Machine title. It's ok, but it's nothing like as good as Ceremonials.
Published 17 months ago by Brian J. Candy

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness, 3 Sep 2009
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
At last an album to make me interested in music again. I have had a couple of babies recently and have therefore been out of music for a while trying to cope with all that! I have just got back into it all again and thought I would start by buying up some hyped up albums. Loads of them have got 1-2 good songs and the rest is quite frankly rubbish. Then I put Florence and the Machine on and WOW. An album I can listen through and appreciate EVERY SONG. Haven't had that for a while.

People were commenting that Lily Allen didn't get nominated for a Mercury Music Award. Well thank goodness. If you put this album side by side with Lily's new album (which does have a couple of good songs), they are a complete world apart. Florence is deeper and more rich by far.

Enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath Taking, 23 Nov 2009
Amazon Customer (doncaster, s.yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
I wasnt sure Id like this album since I pictured Florence as a Choir singer. I kept hearing the songs on the radio though and kept hearing rave reviews from some most unlikey sources for the musical style. She has the finest voice ive heard for sometime and the composition is catchy and upbeat. Its an album that just keeps growing on you every time you hear it. I Loved it the first time I heard it. Now I have an almost addictive compulsion to play this album as often as possible. The original is in the CD player. There is a copy in my car and ive ripped it to my phone. Its still not boring after these weeks! Whats more ,everyone that hears it comments on it in a positive way. Its rare my freinds and I agree totally that an album is AMAZING.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, original female vocalist, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
The album is quirky and original. An uplifting, indie sound with powerful and distinct female vocals. I love her use of diverse instruments such as the harp. It lends an ethereal quality to her music. An impressive start from this compelling artist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag, 5 Oct 2009
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
'Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up)' and 'Drumming Song' seem to be the two songs on the radio and music channels that are highlighting this quirky group. If you've investigated from enjoying the former, you shant be disappointed with 'Lungs's selection. If you came looking for the album for the latter, however, it's likely to take a few times listening to the whole thing to like it. It's very much a mixed bag and folksy bounce, poetic bleakness and something rather more unclassifable. It's undeniably unique, though, with more songs catchy than not and the rest suiting the mellow, slightly 'out there' atmosphere of a solitary drive down the motorway in the middle of the night. Worth a listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars No need for another review, 5 Oct 2009
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
but I saw Florence on one of the small stages at Reading Festival in 2008 and immediately was drawn into her weird and wonderful soundworld . This album is a step on from what I saw that day , but says enough about what is going on with the music scene at the moment to give Florence her own special musical moment . The single "Drumming Song " is now heard on the muzak in supermarkets , I wonder if those shoppers are getting any subliminal messages ,even if it might be that this is the best new band we have and the pull to buy the album will show other artists that finding your own place in music is better than copying and scalping yesterday's music .

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this!, 8 May 2010
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
This could possibly be my favourite albulm ever.

It includes the famous songs like Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up) and You've Got The Love, and not so famous ones such as My Boy Builds Coffins. They are all equally calming and, well...awesome.

I was a bit dissapointed when I first got it, as I had been expecting more tracks, as I had been listening to the extended albulm on Spoitfy, and I hadn't checked this was the right one. But, the other thirteen tracks are so brilliant, it doesn't really matter.

If you like Florence and the machine...Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Raise It Up!, 28 Dec 2009
Andy Sweeney "music was my first love" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
Florence & The Machine's "Lungs" has to be one of the most astonishing debut releases of the year, if not of all time. A distinctive, artistic, powerful statement of an album, full of emotion and drama. I have to admit that it took a couple of listens to really start to appreciate all but the standout tracks, which had been released as singles, but when I became accustomed to them, I soon realised there wasn't a weak song on the whole thing. One of the most remarkable things about "Lungs" is the use of imaginative percussion. The drums on many of the tracks are almost tribal African sounding in their prominence and rhythm and they really get the blood pumping throughout the body. Juxtaposed with some of the more folky melodic instruments used, such as ukulele, harp and the strings, it makes for a really interesting listening experience.

My personal picks of the compositions are the album opener, "Dog Days Are Over", which has really arresting dynamics, the thumping, atmospheric "Howl", the Kate Bush at her 1980s best leanings of the brilliant "Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up), the sensational bluesy vocal performance on "Girl With One Eye" and the very original, subtly building "Between Two Lungs". In fact, I could carry on naming one track after another, because each composition has something quite special and at least interesting to offer. The bonus track, "You've Got The Love" is a brilliant cover of the club classic which has the distinction of being one of the few club tracks I have always really enjoyed, so to hear Florence's great version is, indeed, a bonus.

Definitely one of my favourite albums of the year and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars So I'm listening to the mainstream again?, 15 July 2009
Geoffrey D. Palmer (York, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
A number of reviewers have started out by mentioning their age and gender. Let me continue that trend: I'm male and getting on for 58. In my time, I've been a Beatles/Rolling Stones, Hendrix, King Crimson, Siouxsie and the Banshees and All About Eve fan - to name just a few bands - and then some time around the millennium I abandoned the "boring" mainstream (sorry, Michael Stipe and 1990s R.E.M.) and started listening mostly to dark continental metal. That too has evolved, but the point I want to make very strongly is that Florence has reconnected me with a small fragment of the mainstream. A small but very significant fragment.

It's significant for a number of reasons. Yes, there's a gothic thread running through the album. Let's call it "gothic" rather than "goth" - I think that's a more accurate view. For a bright and "big" album (apparently, and in reply to another reviewer, Florence is on record as saying that she wants to make her music "big"), many of the lyrics are, of course, quite dark. In fact, "Girl With One Eye" is dreadfully dark - despite which the album has been accepted into the "mainstream" world without question. I can think of a great many doom metal and death metal albums, but none of them are ever likely to make the same journey!

I see this album as a great, crazy achievement in itself, and as a wake-up call to some other artists. OK, so it isn't a competition - it's never been that - but there are plenty of successful artists out there who seem content with "less". One thing I've discovered from my journeys around continental metal is that "more" is an important part of the emotional hook: I think of it in terms of colour and texture. And this album is brimming over with colour and texture.

To those who are disappointed that this Florence isn't quite the same as the live Florence, I'd say that the drama of the live gigs surely couldn't really work in the longer term - not if you're planning to put the CD on repeat. The studio version of "Bird Song" on the bonus CD has a rather different character compared to the YouTube videos, but it works perfectly well for me.

Some reviewers have made comparisons with other singers, past and present. On "My Boy Builds Coffins", I hear something of the style of the late and much-missed John Martyn. Personally, I don't hear much Kate Bush in Florence's approach (stay away from those squeaky high notes please, Florence!), but she herself mentions Grace Slick as one of her influences and, well, perhaps something of that shows through. The key to Grace's way of singing, apparently, was that she was trying to emulate the sound of the electric guitar. That's a kind of madness in itself - and madness of a very special kind is something that Florence promises to deliver much more of in the future.

Unless, that is, she gives up all this wacky stuff and turns into one of the best white soul singers ever ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 3 Oct 2009
Mrs. L. J. Larkin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lungs (Audio CD)
I first heard Florence at the Leeds Festival, and she was totally amazing live - despite it pouring down with rain, I was really impressed, and found myself singing to dog days are over, along with the other thousands.

Since then, I listen to albumn almost every few days, I love it. My favourite is Hurricane Drunk, Cosmic Girl, Drumming .. the list goes on.

If you like this albumn - go see her live, I have just seen her at Newcastle and once again, just brilliant.

** Florence for me, is one of the best artists of 2009 **

5.0 out of 5 stars best newcomer in decades, 11 Sep 2009
This review is from: Lungs [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is by far the best album i've heard. Every single song is different and her cover of 'You've Got The Love' is amazing. Florence could most probably cover absolutely any song ever released and make it sound amazing. I saw her live at Reading Festival 2009 and was amazed by her complete capability to sing every song live and make it sound better than the recorded version. She is an all round performer, even climbing the 10ft rigging on stage and hanging off of it whilst dancing. This is THE album to buy...

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

Lungs
Lungs by Florence + The Machine (Audio CD - 2009)