Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

on 7 January 2014
I've had my Vulcan for 14 years now and it's still going strong.
The back support system is extremely comfortable for long periods carrying heavy (25+kg) loads.

I've had a couple of the external straps tear off when they got caught in an airline baggage hold. Sent it back to Berghaus and they just repaired it - was a few years ago but I don't think they charged me. Be sure to tie the straps down by rolling up the excess with duck tape or similar to avoid this. Apart from these minor issues it's extremely tough and I've given it all sorts of abuse with no problems.

Make sure you get the correct size (the size guide is on the Berghaus website) as one that's too big or small won't transfer weight to your hips effectively and you won't get the benefit of the load being distributed comfortably. Difficult when buying online - if you do get a chance to try one out make sure you load it up so it's heavy rather than just use the shop lightweight packing - the way it sits changes a lot when carrying a big weight.

It's certainly not cheap but if you're walking any distance with any sort of load it's a bit of kit you will depend on over the years. Thoroughly recommended.
on 5 October 2012
This thing is built to last (main reason why its loved by british military) and can hold more gear than you'l ever need. The back system is very comfy and offers good support with its metal frame. Very light as well. If your a student off on a gap year or someone who just spends long periods away from home, do yourself a favour and get this bag.
on 8 February 2013
Taken over to Aus' as a gift to replace an earlier one that was vandalised during a break-in. He LOVED this one and within minutes of our arrival had it unpacked, stuffed full of weights and on his back. He uses it for army-style training yomps, etc, as well as real backpacking and there was rarely a day this wasn't in use. Excellent product. Very high quality. Apparently the Australian Army's backpack of choice. Great supplier here in the UK had this to us in record breaking time.
on 18 May 2013
Plenty of room. Strong construction, Comfortable carry, Several attatchment points, ski pole/walking pole/ ice axe attatchments. Several pockets . A real work horse. Highly recommend
on 1 January 2014
its a really rugged tough bit of kit, feels like its indestructable and perfect for my son to go backpacking on his year out after uni, very big and comfortable with waterproof like backing on the inside, huge buckles and straps and versatile too as the two outside compartments zip off and zip together to create a 20 litre smaller backpack, i recommend this to anyone and everyone, look no further.
on 26 June 2015
the best Bergen I have ever owned it does everything you could ever want it to end more!! this is an excellent price are you looking to pay this for just the bag excluding the two side pouches from a millitary store. extremely strong very comfortable holds everything you could imagine you need to take when you go camping. I like the way you can take one side pouch of use that as a day bag Or you can zip the two side pouches together and use them as a slightly larger day back. You can also zip the zips where the side pouches should be together to turn the main Bergen into a slightly smaller Bergen, good for 1 overnight stay.

I 100 percent highly recommend this excellent bag. I can imagine I'll be passing this down to my children to come as it is so strong.
on 18 April 2013
I had one of these whilst in the Army twenty years ago and I'm happy to report that the quality is just as good if not better. I think outdoor kit these days is too focused on being lightweight and is lacking in quality and durability. Not so here, if you need to carry a heavy load and don't want to be let down in the middle of nowhere then this is the bergan to get.
on 23 September 2015
It appears Berghaus have stopped making this fantastic bit of kit. I bought my first one in about 1990 and it has been superb. The only glitch really is the elastic on the lid loses elasticity (after about 10 years!), which seems a common issue with Berghaus (haven't had this with other brands) although I believe it's not too difficult to rectify.

I was worried I would not be able to get another so bought this even though my old one is perfectly serviceable. Also brilliant you can get different sizes, and as I'm 6' 3" went for the largest again.

This model (newer) has a separate compartment at the bottom, which is an improvement on the old.

I am 54 now, so doubt I will ever need another, but Berghaus, please bring this model back for all the youngsters!
on 23 January 2015
Takes me back to basic, great quality! Though would rather no zips at the bottom. Can't wait to take it for a test run and see if the civvy version is just as good.
on 12 January 2013
Perfect for the trip I will be making, expending space and ideal for survival courses and trips very sturdy and durable