5.0 out of 5 stars ANTONY - SUPERB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars ANTONY - SUPERB, 28 May 2009
H. L. Smith "Mad Cat Woman" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crying Light (Audio CD)
Yet again, Antony has not disappointed us. This album brought tears to my eyes. I have yet to listen to any other artist who I can compare to Antony's utter brilliance. Not only do you have Antony's fantastic voice, the band is truely fabulous too. The music is hauntingly beautiful. I loved this long awaited new album and can't wait for the next one. I was lucky enough to see Antony and the Johnsons last weekend at Birmingham Symphony Hall and I was mesmerised. I had tears in my eyes, the music blew me away, as did, as always Antony's voice. Come back soon Antony, there is no-one else to match you. I could have listened all night.
If you haven't listened to Antony and the Johnsons before, buy this album and see for yourself. They are like no other - thankfully. Never stop Antony, you are my hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a voice, what a music, music form the heart, 28 Aug 2009
C. M. Smulders "Colin Smulders" (Dirksland, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crying Light (Audio CD)
I never heard of antony before i saw him on the tv in holland. He played with the metropool orchestra, it was a revelation.

He looked kinda strange, in a white dress, but when he started to sing, i was mesmerized. I could not change the station anymore, i had to listen.

I bought all his work the following day, it is such a intense feeling to listen to him sing. It's music from the heart to the heart

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely strange and strangely compelling, 25 Jan 2009
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Crying Light (Audio CD)
And now for something completely different. I always think it is wrong when writing reviews to assume that everyone reading them is knowledgeable about that particular artist. There are still relatively few people aware of the work of Anthony Hegarty despite the originality of his 2005 Mercury Prize winner "I Am A Bird Now". It's certainly worth checking out. This is the follow up. It's difficult to describe Hegarty's voice. Probably Nina Simone is the closest in sound and that alone might give you some idea of the gender bending involved here and previously.

This is a difficult album to comment on as it's a mixture of under-stated songs about flowers and the world in general mixed with theatricality. You have to delve beyond the sparseness of some of the music and melodies. There's nothing comfortable about what Antony delivers.

On Epilepsy is Dancing he opines "cut me in quadrants, leave me in the corner." Lyrically it's an expansive album about freedom, peace, life and death. The collection of songs is dedicated to Japanese butoh dancer Kazuo Ohno. Apparently butoh is a diverse range of activities, techniques and motivations for dance inspired by Ankoku Butoh (so now you know). Thank goodness that there are people in this world prepared to push the boundaries of art and music. Antony and the Johnsons do it in a subtle and undemanding way amidst some strange instrumentation. Give this one a try. You'll either love it or hate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Healing Light, 19 Jan 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Crying Light (Audio CD)
There are very few artists alive in our crumbling world today
who are able to juggle the differences between pain and pleasure,
between hope and futility and between the intensly personal
and the fragile universal as can Antony Hegarty.

We already had a small glimpse of what was to come with the title
track of 2008's five-track realease 'Another World', included
once again as a part of this extraordinary new album 'The Crying Light'.

The ten songs performed here both consolidates familiar territory
yet also transports us into rich new emotional landscapes.

Mr Hegarty's power to break our hearts and stir our spirits with
his almost disembodied vibrato is once again centre stage.

Some of the songs bear comparison with works by early composers
such as Byrd, Dowland and Tallis. Haunted, haunting and timeless.

Title track 'The Crying Light' would not have been too out of
place heard in the court of Elizabeth The First.
An incredibly plaintive lament whose fragile harmonies and subtle
orchestration place it firmly among his finest compositions.

'Her Eyes Are Underneath The Ground' is another exquisite jewel
of a song - Julia Kent's cello accompaniment and string arrangement
are both affecting and economical.

Thoughout, the album is blessed with some of the
most able and sensitive musical support that an
artist could ever hope to have around him.

Final track (and for my money the finest song in this collection)
'Everglade' literally soars out of the speakers in transcendent,
overwhelming waves of luminous positive energy.

The project's artwork is, as ever was, both disquieting,
enigmatic and strangely moving. Stark questions left unanswered.

This is music to shine a healing as well as a crying light.

Essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm return., 9 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Crying Light (Audio CD)
In total, as people have mentioned previously, this is more lush in terms of the arrangement. not only that makes this album a delightful next step from "I am a bird now" but also the entire album feels far warmer. more positive. not particularly uplifting in song content but it doesn't feel as alienated as previous Antony works.

Another thing I think should be pointed out, possibly due to Antony being the voice on all the songs contained on the album, this is far more structured and flowing. still surprising and beautiful, but also considered and very very easy to take in.

all in all it has actually been a far bigger success than I anticipated and I deeply enjoy the entire record.

See what you think, Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Velvet Nightclubs, 21 Jan 2009
Diziet "I Like Toast" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Crying Light (Audio CD)
Antony and the Johnsons' 'I Am A Bird Now' knocked me sideways. I first heard it a few years ago at about 2 a.m. on the BBC World Service. That is about the right time of day to listen to Antony. It was clearly intensely personal, and deeply affective - it made me cry.

The e.p. 'Another World' promised much, and it revealed that the Johnsons could portray more than a solitary suffering. It started to seem that, maybe, the Johnsons were on the same sort of trajectory on which you might also find Sam, from Rick's Cafe Americain, perhaps Hoagy Carmichael from 'The Best Years Of Our Lives', and then on into Ricki Lee Jones at 'The Last Chance Texaco' with Tom Waits looking for 'Small Change'. Cocktail-sodden night clubs in the wee hours, only the drunks and the waitresses listening to the crooner slouched over his piano.

But this album adds a twist to that. We have the track 'Another World' from the e.p. but now situated in something more than the night club. Inclusion of a small chamber orchestra, clarinet, flute, tenor sax, electric guitar, very tight vocal harmonies, and some strange nearly-musical effects, take this from the night club into a slightly more surreal world; in places almost reaching a sort of Angelo Badalamenti dreamscape.

Antony's journey through a velvet nightclub world is as strange and, at times, as disturbing as any David Lynch film -

Epilepsy is dancing

Screamed her eyes open
Daylight in the fields
Daylight mountains
Fire kisses the floor
Of the lakes and makes shadows

This is certainly no 'Last Exit to Brooklyn. Finally, Everglade has an almost pastoral feel, oboes and strings, slipping into major keys, soft horns -

When I'm peeping in a parlour of trees
And the leaves are winking all around
"I'm home," my heart sobs in my veins
But brains they play the softest games

Fingers kiss the string
Mouth taste the blade
Of everglade

- not quite white picket fences, but as close as Antony has yet managed. ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Antony does it again, 19 Jun 2009
This review is from: The Crying Light (Audio CD)
Antony and his brilliant Johnsons can't put a foot wrong in my opinion and consistently turn out music of the highest quality. This latest release isn't quite as striking on the first few listens as the Mercury Prize winning I am a Bird Now from 2005, but I think it does benefit though from having more of Antony in it and less reliance on collaborations with other artists. The more you listen to their music the more you get out of it and The Crying Light is no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars He ups his game., 31 May 2009
Richard J. Bryant "Rick Bryant" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crying Light (Audio CD)
If you were of a critical mind, there might be scope to say that this disc is a little 'samey' without, for example, a rocky number like 'Fistful of Love' from his previous CD, but I think this one is even better than I Am a Bird Now, and I love I Am a Bird Now. One exquisite song after another, buy it now, enjoy it forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crying Tears Of Happiness, 25 Feb 2009
Gannon (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Crying Light (Audio CD)
If `The Johnsons' was a weak stab at genitalia-based humour, the tears shed on this album are therefore ones of `happiness'. Joking aside, Antony Hegarty's beauty contained in `The Crying Light' is sufficient to reduce the listener to warm tears. The music possesses that same warmth that only Richard Hawley can imbue in a piece, the vocals are finally well pitched.

Where I Am a Bird Now squawked and screeched, `The Crying Light' coos. Yes, Hegarty still sounds like a eunuch minstrel, but the fingers-down-chalkboard grating that some detractors identified in early work is here toned down into a soothing warble. As is the music, and the two are well suited. `The Crying Light' is more mute than earlier work, in parts more restrained and elsewhere much richer thanks to calling in favours from his classical friends. It is pitched more squarely, away from the contemporary edge, and as such is less challenging than the debut and all better for it.

The orchestral inclusions: the piano, the alternating light and menacing strings, the woodwind: all are perfect for Sunday-morning paper reading and quiet but soaring introspection. That alone should supply enough to decide whether a purchase is required.

`Another World' and `Daylight & The Sun' are piano-led masterpieces, every bit as beautiful as Nick Cave's No More Shall We Part, the latter perhaps one of the most poignant pieces ever committed to posterity. Hegarty's sublimely neutered, tear-jerking is present throughout. `Aeon' even embraces electric guitar to accompany the swelling sound, and there is no better example in Hegarty's work of his heart being firmly on sleeve. This is the sound of a man entirely comfortable with his ability and with himself.

Antony Hegarty is a special talent that has finally matured to fruition. His Mercury-winning past was deserved, and this is one step beyond; mercury is also known as quicksilver, and now `The Crying Light' can be synonymous with gold.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can breath a sigh of relief, 25 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Crying Light (Audio CD)
I am a Bird and the eponymous début album are 2 of the outstanding albums of recent years but I have to say I wasn't sure how Antony Hegarty could follow them. Would it just be more of the same and would I eventually tire of that extraordinary voice ? Well the answer to both questions is no.This record has a charming, pastoral tone to it rather than the Gothic of its predecessors. There's a lightness , even sunniness, and confidence to it which are a palpable progression from the earlier albums. Stand out tracks , which most reviews seem to agree on( apart from the reviewer immediately above me !)are Epilepsy is Dancing and Aeon.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›