1,431 of 1,444 people found the following review helpful
Published on 28 Feb. 2010 by A. Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but does not compare to salon laser hair removal
Published on 25 May 2011 by Otherkin

1,431 of 1,444 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars FACIAL USE OR PERMANENCE - see edits at the bottom of the page, 28 Feb. 2010
A. Rose (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was so excited to receive this product as I am a prime candidate - white(ish) skinned with dark hair - and I have also experienced Intense Pulsed Light treatment at my local salon where I was treated with the Aculight system of IPL. You will be thinking if I have already had treatment why do I still need it and does it really work ? Well the salon IPL treatment certainly does work but because of their strict usage guidelines I was unable to complete the treatment over the three years I attended as far as I would have liked. The salon only treats at eight week intervals and there must be little or no tan to the skin. This is very limiting when I spend a lot of time in Spain and therefore I could only really benefit in the winter months and because of not completing the treatment I have patches of virtually no hair on my legs and other areas which may have been missed are as they used to be - quite hairy.

The package when it arrives is boxed with a full instruction book and a smaller leaflet with a quick guide of instructions, do's and don't's and general usage. There is also a DVD to give you a step by step guide of what to expect - all totally helpful and reassuring. The machine itself has a seal which you have to break before use giving you the chance to return the product unused if you find that it is not suitable for you. There is also a neat zip pouch to keep the machine in once the box is disposed of. The do's and don'ts are scary at first sight but if you understand that the process works by blasting the melanin in the hair follicle with pulsed light you will also understand that it shouldn't be used on suntanned skin because the light will be attracted to the melanin in the skin rather than the hair and therefore burning tanned skin and almost useless on blonde, white or grey hair as there is no melanin for the light to be attracted to.

Two of the limitations of use in the instruction booklet is that it is not to be used on the face (the salons do use on the face but it's maybe best left to the professionals for that delicate area) and that it is not suitable for use by men !

The piece of kit is of good quality as you would expect from Philips and is comfortable to hold and use. All the relevant buttons are on the inside edge of the handle and only once, whilst using awkwardly on underarms looking in the mirror, have I inadvertently altered settings without intending to. There are five settings to choose from by matching your skin and hair colour to the chart on the instruction booklet (also shown above on the Amazon page). When you are ready with clean, dry, shaved skin the device should be placed gently but firmly on the area you wish to treat. There is a green `ready' light which lights up when the skin is covered by the sensor so you know exactly when to press the trigger. Because the sensor has to be completely flat to the skin it can make it a bit awkward for some areas i.e. towards the ankles and around the knee area. When using the machine there should be no pain unlike at salons who, I assume, must use a much more aggressive light, hence them having to ice-pack the body before and after treatment and the strict limitations of sunshine before and after treatments and a minimum re-treatment time of eight weeks.

I have tried to find other models to compare this Philips one with and I can only find the Remington iLight IPL500, also sold by Amazon Remington IPL5000 i-LIGHT Hair Removal System The Remington is a little cheaper than this Philips but after reading that the Remington is supplied with a bulb fitted and only two spares at a cost of £25 each which each only have a life of approx 1,500 flashes then the Philips without the fiddle of changing bulbs with a lifespan of around 80,000 flashes seems much more attractive. Also a big plus for the Philips is that it charges from the mains and is used cordless rather than with a wire to the mains like the Remington. Have a look at the Remington page and compare for yourself but I think this one is worth a few pounds more for the appearance and quality.

Does it work ? For me, being dark haired, it certainly does.

I would strongly urge you to read all the instructions and information on the product page above and also read as many reviews as you can find. Reviewers are there to give their honest opinion and with a product of this fairly high cost you don't want to get it wrong. Also, why not google Aculight to get another explanation of how IPL works. If you have any specific questions or queries I am happy to answer you if you would like to contact me at the email address on my profile page.

EDIT - 23 MARCH 2010 - I am now at four full weeks after first using the Lumea and I am very happy with the results. After around 8 to 10 days after the first use hairs started to drop out and at 14 to 16 days you can easily see that there is a big reduction in hair - about 70% gone. On the areas I have used it a second time the hair dropping occurred at a similar interval afterwards, and at 4 weeks after first using it I would say that 80 - 90% of hair is gone. The hair will only react to the Lumea treatment if it is in one of the 3 stages of hair growth therefore not all hairs will respond to each treatment and this is probably one of the reasons that there are a few hairs left. The other reason is that it is incredibly difficult to be absolutely methodical in moving up and down the leg or other treated area because it doesn't look any different during the treatment like shaving or waxing does and therefore there will be one or two areas I have missed. I have bought a white cosmetic pencil to draw sections on the skin and this does help to keep track of what has been zapped. It also helps to have a partner or friend to do the backs of legs as being a contortionist is also an added problem.

I really am very impressed with the results at four weeks and as I will continue to use this during the summer, probably only at four week intervals rather than the initial two, I would expect to be free of unsightly darker hairs. It doesn't treat the almost invisible fine blonde hair so if you are after absolute smooth and hairless skin for the summer then there may be a bit of fluff left.

JULY EDIT - Well I used the Lumea during the week before I went away for seven weeks and I didn't need to do anything until five weeks later. Four weeks after last using the Lumea I had plenty of thin, soft blonde hairs and noticed that some of the usual darker ones were starting to grow. By week five I had to get the old epilator out. For me that is really good as I have very vigorous hair growth and normally have to shave five days after professional waxing as so many hairs seem to be broken off at the skin when waxed and end up with regrowth just like I'd only shaved. Ten days after waxing I usually have loads of ingrown hairs that I have to poke out with a needle and start epilating every five days from then on, so five weeks with the Lumea is fantastic for me. HOWEVER - I was interested to read one of the comments on my review about the new Boots Smooth Skin iPulse. I have only had a very quick look at it online but it appears to be fairly similar to the Lumea in that it uses intense pulsed light but seems to give PERMANENT results, can be used on the face and is a little cheaper than the Lumea. It is certainly worth having a Google and comparing with the Lumea before deciding on making a purchase.

NEW FOR FACE : Anyone wanting to use the Lumea on the face - from the spring of 2012 Philips have brought out an updated model Philips SC2002/01 Lumea Precision IPL Hair Removal System which has a separate detachable head with an integrated filter for safe use on the face and other delicate areas of the body.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but does not compare to salon laser hair removal, 25 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As someone who has been having laser hair removal in a salon for several years, I am impressed with the quality of the Philips Lumea. The instructions are very simple and helpful so even if you're a bit of a technophobe you'll have the machine ready to use in no time. I used it first on my bikini area with very satisfactory results. At first I had some difficulty in activating the Lumea as the bursts of pulsed light are trigged by depressing small segments positioned around the head of the machine against one's skin. The bikini line is a curvy area and presented a problem at first. However, I discovered that, by rolling the machine from front to back over the skin, the mechanism fired. That problem overcome, I found that it took very little time to treat the bikini-line and there was no great discomfort of excessive heat when using the machine. I would imagine the Lumea is less cumbersome to use on legs and underarms, but it can apparently take an hour to treat both legs.

After a couple of treatments, I can attest that the Lumea does seem to repress normal hair growth. Having used no other methods of hair removal over the past month, my regrowth is very slow which is remarkable for someone like me with very thick fast-growing hair. However, although the Lumea is a very useful device to use in the home it is not a substitute for salon laser hair removal. First of all the Lumea uses Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) which is generally considered to be less effective than laser. Second, no home device, whether laser or IPL, can be as powerful or effective as a salon laser. I have had numerous laser salon treatments on my legs, underarms and stomach and, yes, it is painful and expensive but the results are excellent and hair reduction is permanent. If you are very hairy and are desperate, like I was, to truly eliminate your hair problem, treatment in a salon with a laser is the way to go. You'll save yourself some pain and money with the Lumea but the results are not permanent and you'll have to treat areas every two to four weeks to remain smooth, as the manufacturers admit themselves.

Compared to other home methods of hair removal, however, the Lumea definitely has the advantage. It is quicker, longer-lasting and less painful than waxing or epilating and is miles better than shaving. If you're a regular shaver but find, like me, that shaving irritates the skin and only keeps you smooth for one day, you'll probably find the Lumea a lifesaver. As for other home laser/IPL devices, I have used the Tria home laser before, which tends to be a bit more expensive and takes longer to use than the Lumea but does give superior results since it uses laser and not IPL.

So, whether or not I recommend the Lumea really depends on the sort of results you're looking for. If you're a waxer or shaver and are just wanting something a bit longer lasting and less of a hassle, I couldn't recommend the Lumea strongly enough. If, however, you have serious hair problems and want it sorted out for good I'm afraid there's yet to be a home laser/IPL device that can compare to a salon one. You also need to consider whether your skin and hair type is suitable. I'm an ideal candidate, having very pale skin and very dark, thick hair, which is why the Lumea works well on me. If you have dark skin or pale or fine hair, you may find the Lumea a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use, and Very Impressive Results!, 18 Mar. 2010
H. Pierce (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product is a seriously good investment, as long as you match the requirements. That is to say, there are many people listed as not being suitable. The product is not suitable for men, dark skin tones, light hair, etc. This is because the system uses what is termed as Intense Pulsed Light (IPL), 'which works best on dark hair as it attaches itself to the pigment'.

To help you identify if this product is suitable for you there is an easy to understand grid. On one side of the grid is your skin colouring and characteristics, and on the other side is your body hair colouring. You can then read across to the point where your two specific colourings meet and it will have a cross if you are not suitable to use this product. This grid is on the product information above and also on the box.

The Lumea arrives in a box with a dvd and full instructions. It is important to follow these instructions to the letter. Misuse of the product could cause you problems. It is also important to note that just because you are suitable for using the product now (in winter) does not mean you can use it (in the summer) if you have acquired a nice tan! Plan your usage well to maximise the effects and refer to the guidance regarding tanned skin.

To prepare for your first usage of the Lumea system you must first shave the area. This is fabulous, as someone who has previously tried (and given up on) using an epilator, one of the most irritating factors is having to allow the hair to regrow enough to do the treatment again. This also applies to waxing. After shaving, you must select the correct light intensity, as guided by the instructions, and press against the area as you apply the light pulses. Using this product over time encourages the hair follicle to go into a 'resting' phase, which gradually inhibits the regrowth. If you follow the treatment plan, and apply it according to the time schedules, the effects will be maximised.

I found that the product was pain free to use, although it did produce a slightly warm feeling on the area. It flashes a bright light and is immediately ready for you to move it to the next section of skin. Thus far, I have used the product once on my legs, and twice on my underarm area. The results are actually fairly impressive, even though I am not in the 'maintenance' phase the hair regrowth appears to be much less. It is also worth noting that I have very dark hair, and very pale skin, and this combination can mean that when I have no tan at all it is possible to see the hair inside the skin before it even emerges (ok, only if you really look closely, but enough to bother me!). No amount of shaving can prevent this, and only by getting a tan could this previously be resolved. This is no longer the case. I presume that the regrowth has already started to be minimised, thus giving me this impressive result.

Overall, I have to highly recommend this product, as long as you are in the optimum colouring range. It is ideal as a way to manage hair removal, and minimise regrowth in the comfort of your own home. It costs much less than the same type of treatment in a salon, and you can do it at a time most suitable for you, not just during salon opening hours. It is a professional and good quality product, allowing the user to never have to experience having hair stubble on their legs and underarms again, which is a unique selling point in regards to other types of hair removal such as shaving and waxing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely easy, genuinely painless!, 10 Mar. 2010
M. Harrison - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used my Lumea a few times now, and I can report that it's genuinely painless, and it works! It may not be cheap, but you'll make the money back in saved waxing bills several times over.
Firstly (and as other reviewers have noted), it's not for everyone: if your hair is white, grey or ginger than it won't work, as it uses melanin in the hair to disable the follicle. Also if your skin is very black, or if you use sunbeds or have sunburn, you should not use it. And nobody should use it on the face.
To use it you first shave the skin. This is good - I hate having fuzzy legs, waiting for it to be long enough to wax. You set the flash intensity (having tested it 24 hours before), press the unit onto the skin and 'zap' it. The sensation ranges from nothing (on the legs) to a brief flash of heat (on the underarms). You repeat the process once every two weeks for the first two months. At this point the skin should be hair-free (although I found a mere two sessions on the underarms had reduced the hair by about 70%).
At that point you can lengthen the gap between treatments. Your skin should be smooth and hair-free with no regrowth; you are simply 'zapping' it to maintain it that way.
The unit itself is very sturdy and well-made; it sits comfortably in the hand and nothing is loose or rattles. It feels as though it will last a lifetime. The bulb, apparently, should not ever need replacing.
If you have the patience to do the zapping (underarms only took me about a minute each, but legs will take quite a bit longer) then the Lumea could give you permanently smooth, hair-free skin. And if you start using it now, you'll be ready for summer! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Set hair phaser to total hair removal - zap!, 17 Mar. 2010
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all why is someone called Stuart reviewing a product that's 'not suitable for usage by men'? Don't worry, it's my girlfriend that's tested it. She asked to try it out- I didn't just get it in order to imply she's hairy... anyway, hope that's cleared that up.

The Lumea is the size of a hair drier, but a lot heavier. It's sturdily built and professional-looking. It looks quite like the phaser pistols from the Star Trek movies, especially with its orange rectangular front. When 'fired' directly against the skin it gives off an extremely bright orange light (don't look directly at it). I had assumed that it would be something you'd hold against your skin for several seconds to use, but in fact each shot is instantaneous.

When you use it for the first time, especially if you have pale skin and dark hair, it can sting a bit, and the brightness of the flash is a surprise. There's also a very slight soreness afterwards- but it's less than the agony of waxing and it passes quickly. You get accustomed to this and it no longer hurts.

The instructions for use are very detailed, and you should read them thoroughly first, as using it incorrectly could be not only dangerous but extremely painful. There's even a DVD included as well. Just to emphasise again- really read the instructions. This heavy-duty item could do some proper damage if used improperly.

It clearly says 'not suitable for usage by men', though it's not altogether clear why that is. Maybe there's a biological reason I'm not aware of, but the manual, like the product description, strongly emphasises that it's not suitable for men.

It works. I have to admit I was doubtful before I tried it, but while the effects aren't instantaneous on the day that you first use it, over time the areas you treat do stay smooth and hairless for much longer than they would with shaving. I haven't stopped using it for long enough yet to see the hair come back but it does seem you get a good couple of weeks out of it- perfect if you want to go on holiday, something like that.

For women who are very serious about their appearance, this is a top-of-the-range and very professional bit of kit. It's not suitable for everyone, but if you're looking for long-term hair removal, this is the quality gadget you may have been looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most brilliant and user-friendly product on the market? EDIT AT BOTTOM, 28 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Philips Lumea SC2001/00 IPL Hair Removal (Personal Care)
Please note that this product works differently on different skin types and hair structures, and so does my review. This is my personal experience of the product and I have never been this excited about sharing a review!

Firstly, lets discuss the build, design and features. I do not even know why people would concern themselves with whether they like the design on a product that serves a purpose inside the comfort of your own home. This is an elegant product, resembles a hair dryer (a smaller one) and has logically placed easy to press buttons. I suppose while it is simple to use and pretty self-explanatory but it is also to be taken seriously.

Now, the only plausible explanation of why anyone would rate this product any way other than 5 stars is because the product is not intended for their skin/hair type, they are impatient or they are not using it properly. Or simply, the product did not live up to a high expectation that - zap, and all the hair is gone! We all wish there was such a product and I am not the most patient person in the world but I have held my breath for 3 months of usage before I even decided to write this.

MY SKIN:
I am fair skinned and not the most hairy person in the world. My hairs are dark blonde, with an exception to under my knee where the hairs were black and sharp from all those years of shaving. I have used epilators and razors only. I have targeted a few areas: my lower legs, bikini area, underarms and a tiny patch on my tummy. I have always been thorough on my bikini area, my underarms had required a shave once a week, maybe 2 weeks, my lower legs would require a shave the next day and would be very prickly and my bikini area pretty much the same, with an exception of that particular area having more hair density than the others. And my tummy, just a line underneath my belly button, not dense but long and dark.

FREQUENCY AND SETTINGS:
Note that there is an instruction for this and a chart for skin types and hair types. I have used the highest setting or 5, and 3 on my bikini area only. I have repeated the treatments every 2nd week. This, I think is quite individual but I know there has to be AT LEAST 2 weeks apart from treatments. So I have done the bare minimum. I am impatient...

THE RESULTS:

Lower leg:
After the first treatment the hairs that grew back looked pretty much the same, with perhaps a slightly slower growth rate. The second treatment and onwards, they have been growing a lot slower and fewer each time. They are much softer and lighter. Now, after 5 treatments they barely even grow back, prompting a little shave and repeat treatment. They are very soft, barely visible and certainly much easier to handle. The skin on my legs has become much softer, the pigmentation has improved and the dryness is gone. The last 3 attributes are due to the lack of everyday shaving. When the hairs do grow back, I can feel them slightly but nothing that even resembles a scratchy stubble like it used to. So all things considered - a brilliant result. I do not have to worry for the whole two weeks between treatments about shaving or anything of the sort. This is only after 5 treatments.

Underarms: Very much the same. Growth rate barely exists, they are soft and the hair is much lighter and softer when it grows back. Unlike the legs, its growth rate is a bit faster but all things considered, very much the same result. I was worried about side effects as it is such a delicate area but I have had none. My sweat glands have not complained and the skin under my arms which never used to be too dark, is now the same colour as the rest of my arm.

Tummy:
I now repeat it out of routine, but the hairs seem to be fully gone with some pale blonde little ones growing, ever so soft and subtle, very much like the rest of the hair over my body. Virtually non existent.

Bikini area:
As I mentioned I am quite thorough here. This one has proven to be slightly more sensitive to the little sting but that is to be expected. I cannot see it ever hurting more than waxing or an epilator. After 5 treatments the hairs on the bikini area are much softer and at no point do they grow back itching or scratching. They are quite soft and a bit lighter. However, compared to any other body part that I have worked on, the progress is a tad slower. Not to say I mind this as the result is wonderful as it is, it's just that I can see it taking a bit longer than the rest of my body. I find this completely acceptable. I am quite sensitive, my skin is very fine and I tend to bruise, spot and cut easily. I used to get a lot of ingrown hairs and as we all know, those can be quite painful. Since I have started treatments, I get no spots and all the de-pigmentation seems to have disappeared. Another very desired and wonderful result to an intimate area.

It has become much easier and faster to do the treatments each time and by now I have become accustomed to the little flicks I get every now and again. Where pain is concerned it is nt worth a mention really. Just more sensitive on the intimate areas. I am only being completely honest of my experience, it might differ a lot from what other people have experienced to their own standards.

I would recommend this product to anyone suitable to use it where skin tone and hair meet the criteria and I would say - no matter if you are in a rush, tight for cash, impatient or skeptical - it is worth every second and every penny. Do not hesitate, and if your success rate is not as good as you expected, do not discard the product! Philips are not misleading you on what it is nor are they promising a permanent and total hair removal, nor does it say it will be fast or require a couple of treatments. The company is being quite transparent about everything actually, and that is another big plus in my book. You need to invest a bit of time and dedication to it. To be fair you made it worse for years by shaving and waxing or whatever, you cannot expect it to be gone overnight.

I am absolutely stunned by this product. Spend your money on this after you OBJECTIVELY review if it is indeed meant for your skin type and what degree of success it is to be expected on your skin/hair. If you are fair skinned and have darker hairs, expect miracles. Just over a certain amount of time, dedication and persistence.

I will be back at some point with some updates, but for now I hope I was able to help you make a decision.

Much love fellow Hair Haters.

*EDIT*

It has now been almost 2 years since I started using this product. It has never malfunctioned or let me down. It hasn't stopped working, reduced its battery life or stopped being effective.

It is worth mentioning that the hairs DO grow back just very very soft and pale. I do not need to shave for at least 3 months on end and I repeat the treatments out of routine once a month. The skin on my lower legs is so soft and clear it is like I have never shaved in my life. My underarm hair barely grows, the patch on my tummy is completely gone and my bikini area is still in need of treatment although they do not grow past 5-6mm, are very fine and light and get reduced further after each treatment - I completely expected this s I use it less frequently there and on a much lower setting. I also stopped working on the area for 6 months and have only started to do so again. even when they grow back - they do not itch and the shave always goes smoothly with no ingrown hairs or irritation.

I will be upgrading to the newer model in due course. I stand by the fact that it is the best investment I have made to date and a major improvement to my skin. I still dislike body hair as much as I used to but I haven't worried about it at all. If you are on a budget and can't get the latest model this one is just as perfect. It is now much lower in price than it was but still going strong. If you want your hairs managed - not GONE - buy this. If you stopped using it they will grow back albeit not as bad (will get worse with each shave as before though). During monthly treatments they are just not growing back. And in all honesty, this is much better than shaving, waxing or any other method of hair removing. Also kinder to skin, has no side effects, you get no irritation, no ingrown hairs, no cuts and NO stubble. You are also soft and smooth all over. If you are well suited for it - get it. I know it's hard earned money but you wouldn't be looking into this if you weren't determined to do something about your skin and body hair condition. The financial investment and time you put into this will be worth it.

Still as much love fellow Hair Haters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonder Unwanted Hair Remover For Women, But......., 21 Feb. 2010
Amazon Customer "A Likely Lad" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well I obviously got this for my wife and daughters and as the process takes a couple of weeks to complete I can't give a review of the outcome of the machine's effects. What I can do at the moment is give a few details about the machine as it stands and then EDIT the review at a later date to describe it's performance.

Right off we go:

The machine is a very easy to use and compactly sturdy to hold without being too heavy, the controls are within easy access on the handgrip without having to manuever fingers to get to them.

The window at the top of the device is pleasntly cool when pressed to the skin and a green band of light is illuminated when the device is ready for firing.

The packaging is very well put together and protects the machine from harm during transit and comes with a security seal that has to be broken upon opening, thus guaranteeing quality of merchandise, newness and untampering.

There is a very informative instruction manual and a DVD provided for the same purpose. The DVD is prsented with a laidback attitude that generates a nice calm informative atmosphere that reminds me of all those old American sales adverts that are interesting to watch but get straight to the point without unneccessary time wasting and diversions. The narrator has a very pleasant voice which holds the interest of the viewer and the whole information package is very well put together indeed.

There is a charger included with the machine and must be charged for ninety minutes before use, after charging the area that you wish to use it on must be washed first and free of hair, so a shave of the area is important for the initial use.

Turn the machine on and wait for the green band to light up, press the machine gently to the skin area that you wish to use it on, the face is not recommended, and press the main firing button. There will be a flash and a warm sensation such as a very, very mild electric shock which is hardly noticeable at all will be felt.

That area has now been done, repeat the process until satisfied.

This machine is limited however on the type of hair and skin that it can be used successfully on, it is most effective on light coloured skin and darker hair. Suntanned skin can cause problems and prevent the proccess from being completed successfully. White hair and darker skin also reduces it's impact and that is the main problem with the machine in that there is really only one group of women that can use it to satisfaction levels, white women with darker hair, which is a bit of a downer for others. I can only assume that future models may correct this at some point.

All in all then it's a very well made piece of equipment that will make women feel more comfortable and confident by removing unwanted hair and keeping it that way for at least two months before the next treatment.

I am taking one star off though for the limitations of the machine on certain hair and skin types.

As I said this is only a preliminary review as it takes a couple of weeks to gather the information on the outcome, I will return to update and EDIT this review to include that information at the appropriate time.

UPDATE:

Well it actually works and works well, having given the time neccessary for the results to be seen both my wife and daughter that has used it report that it's been a success.

After the first treatment both shaved their legs again to remove any unwanted hair missed by the machine, this was neccessary to allow what remained of the hair to 'push' through, the second treatment was then applied and after the required time both noticed an almost 100% success rate in non hair growth.

Both are very happy with the results and providing that treatment is maintained every time two weeks the burden of manually shaving and the scar of possible shaving rash will be eliminated, and that is excellent and is the sole function of the machine.

They are so pleased with it that they have asked me to increase my rating from the four stars that I originally gave it to the maximum five, and if it's as good as they claim then it's something I'm more than happy to do.

If the ladies in my family think as the majority do and I'm sure that's the case then there are going to be a lot of very pleased and happy women out there.

VERY RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKS FOR MEN AS WELL!!, 25 July 2010
Nothern Climes (Yorkshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips Lumea SC2001/00 IPL Hair Removal (Personal Care)
I just wanted to share my success with this product, as a male of the species...

I've got dark hair, my skin is light and I tan fairly easily, although burning is not out of the question. Only recently has this product been permitted to be used on masculine skin (it's not known why this was delayed), but I wanted to clarify that I've been using it both before and after permission was officially granted (although it was originally bought for my wife) and I've had nothing but success - in common with the majority of reviews have been written by other users.

I'm not a newbie to this technology and I've had IPL at an expensive skin clinic on and off for the last couple of years, but this product is fantastic for me as it lets me target those areas where the salon wasn't prepared to go as well as the occasional "missed" bits/resilient hair follicles.

The only thing I'd add (bc other reviewers have already done a splendid job on the details of this product) is that as a slightly older person, some of my body hair has already gone silvery grey (upper chest for example) and as such, cannot be removed with this technology (as the light energy only works on darkish hairs).

Given this last (unfortunate) fact, I would urge those of you who are tempted to delve into a product such as this (and not all women like a hairy chest), to get on with it and enjoy the long-term, smooth-skin benefits, before it's too late...!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It actually does work!, 29 July 2010
This review is from: Philips Lumea SC2001/00 IPL Hair Removal (Personal Care)
I bought a Philips Lumea about 8 weeks ago and just thought Id share my thoughts about it because I personally found the reviews very helpful, so hopefully Ill help someone out too.

First of all, I did a similar process in a salon a few years back on just my armpits and it did work quite well. Hair is not completely gone but maybe 90% of it is. I have always wanted to do my legs, arms and bikini too but it is just far too expensive! When I saw the Lumea, I was so intrigued because it is so much cheaper than salon sessions. I wasnt too sure it would work because the salons use a great big machine with lots of buttons. But when I read the reviews, I started to gain a little confidence.

What made me buy it was walking into Boots one evening and they were doing a promotion with their advantage points. Im not too sure what the promotion was exactly anymore, but if I bought the Lumea, I would basically get £90 worth of points in my advantage card. Together with the free 6 month grazia subscription, I was sold.

I use number 3 strength. I am of Asian descent, so I have black hair but Im not too tanned.

Im going to tell you what I thought of it because How it works is something that Amazon and the Philips website already explains in much more detail than I ever could.

USING THE LUMEA

I found using the Lumea quite easy. The machine is not too heavy and you can get a strong grip. The window is quite small, but I think this is bigger than the other products similar to this out there. Besides, if you were doing your armpit, the size is perfect. And Im sure there is some health and safety research done on the window size. The safety buttons that surround the window is very helpful. A few have had problems getting it to line up so the green light comes on, but I have not had a problem at all.

I say it is only quite easy because the buttons can get pushed if youre not careful. It hasnt happened to me yet but I can definitely see it possible, so perhaps the buttons should have been moved elsewhere. Also it is a bit tough reaching the back of my legs, but this isnt the Lumea's fault, it is my flexibility! Lucky for me, my boyfriend will happily do the back of my legs while we watch TV.

I really like the fact it is wireless, it makes it so easy. Something that the other IPL devices lack. I also definitely agree, it does not hurt! Armpits probably hurt the most, but it was just like a little sting. I would say epilators and waxing hurts more!

The battery life I expected to be very short, as what some readers say. But I dont agree! I managed to do both lower legs in one full charge, which I dont think is a bad deal. Besides it charges up so quickly anyway ( around an hour I think for a full charge) In the salon, you also need to wear these glasses to protect your eyes but you dont with the Lumea which is a very good thing.

RESULTS

The important bit!

Like I said, Ive had this for about 8 weeks now. In that 8 weeks, Ive done my armpits (trying to lessen that 10% hair left from my salon sessions), my arms and my legs.

My armpits, I can happily say, have reduced again and what grows back is thin. Ive only done 2 sessions with it. I still do have hair but I only have to shave once a week, if that.

I have treated my legs three times now. In the first go, I thought it wasnt working at all. The hair grew back as if I just epilated, so I tried again after 2 weeks which I know is soon but I was eager. And after the second session it has definitely reduced. I was so happy. I let it rest for 3 weeks and did another session. The hair that grows back is lighter and thinner and probably reduced by 30%. I have epilated in between but only because Im really pedantic and can see hairs when i look closely, but my boyfriend didnt think I needed to.

My arms Ive only done once and the hair took 2 weeks to grow back, maybe because it was completely untouched hair. But my hair has reduced by about 40% maybe.

CONCLUSION

I give this 4 stars because it is not suitable for the face, which I really wish it was. But overall, I am so happy with it! I would say if you were like me and conscious about your hair than at £400 it is worth it because a leg wax alone is about £20, or more (and it normally only last me 1-2 weeks before the hair grows back!) It is a big investment but I think you will break even after a year or two and maybe even save money. It doesnt damage your skin at all so your armpits dont turn black or anything like that. It is easy to use and it actually does work.

Hope this helps!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, reviewed well, 7 May 2010
This review is from: Philips Lumea SC2001/00 IPL Hair Removal (Personal Care)
We have to agree with the other reviews of this product.
Excellent service, prompt delivery.
Good product, and does the job well as descibed by the other users on this page

However, the only one downside is that the battery doesn't last long enough. It has enough power to do the upper or lower half of one leg on full strength before it needs recharging, which takes about an hour and a half. Unfortunately this product cannot be used while charging. If you could run it off the mains when the battery went flat, it would be a perfect product. I'm sure this is a safety thing, and is not a huge deal, just a slight annoyance having to do two legs in four stages with an hour and a half break inbetween.

Results look very good if you follow the instructions provided. After two treatments, there is a very noticeable difference and it just keeps getting better!
Overall it's very highly recommended and very good value for money, just a slight shame about the charging.

Philips Lumea SC2001/00 IPL Hair Removal