Coleman Waterfall Tent - 5 Person
Price:£186.44+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 19 May 2009
I already have a Colmman Sahra which is much bigger than the Waterfall but at 35Kg is to heavy for my KTM motorcycle. The Waterfall is only 14Kg and is nearly as big and fits on the rear of the KTM when touring. Build qualitity is as aspected by Colman, very high with some very nice touches. The main reason for purchasing this tent is that its just high enough to stand-up in the sleeping area and the dome front area is excellent for seating, storage and I use it as an indoor covered area when the whether is bad. In the past I carried a pop-up gazebo but now cannot carry on a motorcycle so this design allow me to do both within one tent. The only downside is the 40 wire peg's which are useless in hard ground, I purchased 20 'T' shaped alloy 8" peg's which are good for hard ground and sandy conditions, I have never used all the peg's provided so use your initative at the time and location when pitching.
If you want to camp for a couple of months around europe in a car, van, pick-up truck the Colman sahra & gazebo is the way, BUT if travelling light & fast the colman Waterfall is the way to go; just pitch the tent near a tree for shade in the heat of Southern Europe at the height of summer.
on 7 October 2013
After many hours of research, trying to find the best quality tent with the best space at the best price, I finally settled on the Coleman waterfall. I was buying it for two people and it was an experiment to see if we could be happy and comfortable after thirty years away from camping. Using the tent with no bedroom divide to make one large bedroom allowed us to have a large airbed and all of our luggage in the sleeping area very comfortably. The darkened nylon was not particularly dark but helped a bit to avoid an early morning start and the inner mesh door kept even the tiniest insect out - essential for me! The living area is tall enough to have two tall people standing up easily and the peg out canopy was a bit flimsy but ok. For a fair-weather weekend away, this tent is all you need, just add cooking gear and seating and you'll be more than comfortable. On our second, longer trip we added a Colman windbreak and pop up gazebo to cook under, which was lucky as it was warm but a bit wet, which the tent coped with admirably. I would agree that the zips are overly fiddly but not a major problem and I do think that this tent would be too draughty for colder weather but on the whole and for the pricethis was an excellent buy, easy to put up and comfortable. To avoid packing away hassle, we bought a slightly bigger canvas bag to keep it in but the original was not at all bad. Glastonbury here we come!!
on 20 June 2014
Used it 2 years running for prolonged holidays of 5 weeks plus, it's stood up to all weathers including thunderstorms and torrential rain in Italy this year and when it's wet all it needs is an hour or so with a warm wind or even less in the sun and it's dry as a bone again. I'm 6ft 3ins and find the tent has plenty of room for me to stand up and can stand in the bedroom area with just my head bent forward so no problems dressing ect. Would recommend coleman make a few changes but only minor from prolonged use, a fly screen simolar to the one in the bedroom unit could be fitted to the door area so you could still sit in at night with entry open but not be bothered by usual mossies and flying things and the little zip for a wire to feed through should zip from bottom to top not as it is because when you feed and elecric cable through the opening can't be closed on the wire as you have to zip up to close it and weight of wire pushes zip down again.
on 27 April 2010
Thought I would write this review to counter some of the overly strong negative review of the design aspects of this tent. Attachments of the guys appear strong and secure. The dome side of the tent can be pegged down at the additional eyeholes where the poles attach. Door closing - no problem!

Apart from this being a neat, good looking and airy tent , the good build quality is matched by such ergonomic nice design touches as colour matched sleeves and poles for fast easy identification during set up. Up and down in 10 minutes each way - easy.
Only reason for not 5 stars is lack of wider range of pockets pouches and loops (though these do exist). Overall - a happy camper.
on 1 September 2009
First the good - the dome area is a comfortable living space (4 people can sit around a table and there is sufficient head room). Reasonably dry for showers.

Now the not so good:
1. We pitched this tent on flat ground in a 15mph wind - the attachments for the guy ropes started to tear from the seam of the tent. (The guy ropes only attach half way up the poles and provide little stability for them, resulting in a lot of flexing and a great deal of strain on the attachments. 2 or 3 attachment points would have solved the problem)
2. No attachments on the dome side of the tent to peg it to the ground. (as a result this side blew around in the wind - annoying)
3. No way to fully zip the doors closed - the bottom remains open and you have to reach under and peg it to the ground. (not good if you have a small adventurous dog with you as we did)
4. No way to hang a light from the ceiling (minor issue but worth noting)
5. Tent pegs supplied are very poor quality

If you're looking for a spacious fair weather tent this is fine, but I think there are better options out there in this price range. Disappointing quality.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this tent for myself and my wife as a "camping from the car" tent, as opposed to the hiking and camping that i would do with the guys. It is large, spacious and on our trial in the garden before we set of had it up and down again within 30 mins. We took it around Ireland last week and have been more than happy with it. No major faults or problems found after a week of up and down.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this Coleman Waterfall Five Man Tent for "camping from the car". It is not for carrying on your back on a hiking holiday.

First, the negatives (which are not as bad as the number would suggest - they are all minor, some very minor):

(1) The instructions are very poor. However, once you've put the tent up once and taken it down again once, you'll be fine afterwards (especially if you pay attention to how the guy ropes were tied using slip knots when you first put it up, so that you can reproduce those knots when you put it away again - you'll be glad you did the next time you put it up). Make sure you put it up and down at least once before you go away.
(2) The tent arrived nicely packaged in its bag, but tied using what looked like an offcut of material, which really didn't inspire confidence. Thankfully, things were better after that.
(3) The first few times you put the tent up or take it down, use gloves where possible. I didn't, and ended up feeling like I had tiny nylon fibres buried in the skin of my hands - the nylon equivalent of using wire wool without gloves.
(4) It is not obvious from the instructions that the tent is asymmetrical. Only one side has windows and guy ropes on the door. The first time I put the tent up, I ended up with the windows pointing the opposite direction from where I wanted them, as I had expected them to exist on both sides. You'll only get that wrong once.
(5) The dome shape (and this presumably will be true of all dome-shaped tents) means that when you open the door in the morning after rain or heavy dew, water from the outside of the door is very likely to fall inside the dome.
(6) The metal pegs bend very easily. I'd suggest buying some heavy duty ones.
(7) The guy ropes are reasonably visible, but against green grass they do tend to disappear. I'd have preferred hi-viz orange to make things a bit safer.
(8) Could do with a hanging point for a light in the middle of the ceiling.
(9) Even in the sleeping "pod", which is essentially a dark bubble inside the tent itself, there is a reasonable amount of light, so make sure that you take an eye mask with you if you have trouble sleeping in light conditions.

Now for the positives, which certainly outweigh the negatives:

(1) The height in the dome is excellent, Both myself and my wife (over 6ft) can stand up easily in there without feeling claustrophobic.
(2) Very spacious, although it would be snug to have five adults sleeping in it. For a couple, there is plenty of space for both sleeping and all your stuff.
(3) The sleeping "pod" is excellent, with doors made up of two layers, one mesh to stop insects, and a second solid to block light when sleeping.
(4) Good ventilation at the sleeping end, with a flap that can be held open or closed using guy ropes.
(5) A few useful pockets.
(6) The doors zip all the way around, although from other reviews and from the arrangement of the zips, it does look like this has been changed by Coleman as an afterthought.
(7) Useful hole (zipped) for feeding an electrical connection through.

It's not a difficult tent to put up or take down, but it's time consuming if you do it on your own. The first time, it took me an hour to put it up on my own, and nearly as long to take it down and pack it away. With practice it does get quicker, but I cannot imagine ever matching the 10 minutes mentioned in another review - maybe with another person helping, but not on my own.

To summarise, a number of minor issues, but the plus points far outweigh them. I'd recommend this tent, but with one caveat - I've been exceptionally lucky with the weather when I've used this tent, so I cannot vouch for how well it stands up to gale force winds and torrential rain - the worst I have experienced so far has been a light shower.
on 19 February 2013
First the good things - easy to put up, clearly colour coded poles and nice design make this possible to put up alone if necessary (although not easy with one person, I have managed it). Relatively good door design / size for easy access while in use. A very good inner tent with quality double lined door allowing it to be open to a breeze while still keeping out insects. A nice overall design which makes the largest space available for living in rather than dedicating that extra head room to the sleeping area where you are usually lying down anyhow which I really appreciate as a taller person.

Weaker aspects - the door lip seems a good idea to start with as it prevents rain/rivulets running into the tent, but...it frequently trips people up and makes getting any water out that does get in very awkward. There is a distinct lack of hanging points for lamps in the main living space (ironic as that is where the lamp symbol is on the outside!), the small "awning" included is practically useless in anything but the best of weather. I expected to be able to use it to provide a little shelter from rain outside the door to make "de-booting" outside of the tent more pleasant, but because the doors slope backwards, unless the rain is being blown in just the right direction, it ends up falling straight into the tent. That wouldn't be so bad except for the earlier point about the door lips...

Overall, I like this tent. I'm not a frequent camper but I have used quite a few different tents over the years and this is one of my favs - although, I probably should point out that I'm using this as a one person tent all to myself :)
on 28 August 2012
Ok, i've had this tent for over a year now and had several trips away in it in all weathers. Overall the tent is superb. The great thing about it is it is easy to put up (colour coded poles) and super spacious.. its a palace! Also never had a problem with condensation due to its airy and spaciousness and seems to hold heat well on the cold and windy days.

The main problem I have had with this tent so far are the bloody doors.. just got back from a festi where the weather was really stormy - rain and high winds. The doors have a zip on either side and the bottom is a loose flap which can be pegged down in 3 places - but then its a bit fiddeley to get out.. Anyway, try as I might I could not stop small floods - the flaps blew around and generally back into the tent, over the lip and a river and pool would form. Really wish they had just made an all-round door zip. I think the tent would also benefit from somewhere to hang a light in the living room area as has been mentioned.

If it wasn't for the doors I would definitely give it a 5 star.. but it is still worth getting as I still love the tent even with its flaws.
on 21 April 2012
I set up the tent on my own and considering I didn't use the instructions (coz they're not user friendly to my brain!)I found it quite easy. Two people would make it a cinch, but I managed it in about 50 mins (First time!)Next time i'll do it in 25!The only hard bit, on your own, is feeding the second pole through the apex.
I didn't have the problems others had with the zip at the opening not closing.It's quite tight and a touch fiddly to get the zip connected but once that 's done it zips easily enough. I haven't used it in anger yet, only to test putting it up, but it looks good and feels airy. My husband who is 6'5" can stand ok in the middle of the eating area so he's happy. Five cots would be a tight squeeze with no space to put your feet down while sitting on it. mats would give more room. I will be sewing some hooks to hang things from as there is a lack of them.Don't know how the poles can stand up on their own to hold the flap up? I think only one side has guy ropes to aid this, but I'd pitched it too close to our fence to see if they work. Just hope it doesn't leek!!we don't plan to camp in the rain!