5.0 out of 5 stars Coleman Bed-(solid as a)-rock 2
I needed a tent that was both lightweight and had a reasonably small pack size, as i was going to be doing the Land's End - John O Groats cycle (no support & carrying all equipment). I looked long and hard, and for tents in this price range, one of such weight and pack size, was very hard to come by!

Although i was alone, the reason i wanted a two man tent was...
Published on 5 Oct. 2009 by L. Farrell

2.0 out of 5 stars Wetman Tent
Published on 27 July 2009 by David J. Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Coleman Bed-(solid as a)-rock 2, 5 Oct. 2009
L. Farrell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Bedrock Tent - 2 Person (Sports)

Although i was alone, the reason i wanted a two man tent was because i had two large panniers. However, there probably would have been enough room for another person with my panniers as well.

I was putting the tent up every evening and taking it down again the following morning for a fortnight, and although that in itself was tedious towards the end, it was very easy; from the point of actually emptying the tent (so it was ready to take down) to the point of it actually being packed away in its little bag, took about 15mins by the end of the fortnight, (hardest part of course squeezing it into the bag). Some of the tent pegs got seriously bent due to the huge range in soil density throughout the trip, but nothing 20mins couldnt sort out in my spare time.

As for keeping me dry, i guess it wasnt really a fair test, as i travelled the first half of this September, which just so happened to be dry every day. Although waking up high in the Scottish Highlands, there was a considerable amount of dew, to which i remained dry, and A LOT of wind; but the tent stood strong, and i got a good nights sleep.

So, for the verdict...

If you're looking for a cheap, small pack size, lightweight tent, this is perfect. (I am planning on using it again next year, when i cycle it all over again). I do understand i never had seriously bad weather, but, if you set the tent up properly, i see no physical way in which the inhabitant could get wet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tested a few times and works great, 5 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Coleman Bedrock Tent - 2 Person (Sports)
I've tested this tent out a few times and it held up pretty well! It was extremely windy one day (and night), it didnt flap or bend in at all - I had the larger end facing the wind. Another night it rained quite heavily and again I had no problems at all.

I am 5 foot 9 and didnt really have problems with leg room at all, however my sleeping bag touched the bottom a bit. Also if the wind had been blowing toward the foot end it may have touched the inner a little but I think it depends on how well its put up.

For one person there is more than enough room with one side for storage and the other to get in and out. For two people, its probably do-able and the two door do make it easier but it would be tight and your friend would have to be about 5 foot 10 or under

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost very nice tent, 22 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Coleman Bedrock Tent - 2 Person (Sports)
After long and thorough research of latest (2011) MSR, GoLite, Big Agnes two-person tents, I found they all had weaknesses and strengths. It was early on clear that the focus in manufacturing mainly had been given to weight, and that this resulted in high prices because of "ultralight" materials and technically ingenious (but sometimes weakening) solutions.

Personally I wanted a light (enough) two-person tent with dual storage space outside of inner tent that was protected by rainfly. I did not want a tent in witch i could "hang around" in or spend waking hours in. I only needed a dry sleeping space. I also wanted two doors. I wanted to store my backpack and my boots outside of inner tent and I wanted to be able to use my stove without leaving the tent (Heavy rain and snowy/windy conditions are common here in Norway). I wanted the tent to be cheap.

In the Coleman Bedrock 2p i found all the theoretical properties I was looking for. I read reviews claming it had problems in keeping out water in the headroom because of a leak in the seam (by the tent pole), but I had read similair reviews about most other tents (exept CilNylon ones) that had seams in connection with poles. I decided the risk of it leaking was acceptable as I figured it would be possible to seal the seam if needed.

The fact that I could buy ten Bedrocks for the price of one Copper Spur was also part of the decision to try the Bedrock. I even calculated that the upgrade of the fiberglass pole with custom aluminum ones plus upgrading the pegs from steel to aluminum would both lower the weight to an acceptable 2kg and cost no more than some 20USD.

The purchase itself (from Amazon) was great. I took five days to arrive at my door here in Norway. I went through the contents of the package, and confirmed all was in place.
The tent comes in a somewhat bulky (but light) zippered "bag". It comes with a heavy fiberglass pole and steel pegs. The pole and the pegs (17 in total) weighs some 800 grams (about 400 grams each). There is a repair-pad attached to the bag and the sewn-on "how to pop this tent" looks like it has been made by someone using MS Paint while recieving instructions on what to draw via telephone (not very accurate). The Inner tent has a heavy duty floor (no need for separate footprint). The rainfly has two large vertical windows.

Popping the tent is easy. There is only one pole, but there are 17 pegs (not very practical if you intend to camp on rocky ground). The pole slides through a 100cm loop on the inner tent so one must set the inner first (not very practical in rain or snow). The inner tent has mini-poles (10cm long) sewn in at all four corners to raise the footprint and create foot- and headroom space.

I am 185cm long and have no problem fitting inside my sleeping bag inside the tent lengthwise. There is barely space for four feet in the footend. Make sure you only bring a good friend, a spouse or your child if you tend to sleep two without a fight for footspace.

After three weeks testing in heavy rain and winds I have concluded:
- The rainfly does not leak. At all
- The footprint does not leak. At all
- There is not enough space at the footend. Your sleeping bag will (this is a personal guarantee) touch the inner tent witch in turn touches the outer tent allowing for,- if not water from the outside, at least some condensed water to rub of into your sleeping bag
- The fiberglass poles and the pegs are too heavy
- The storage space outside the inner tent is not large enough to accomodate my 70Liters backpack. I think 40-50Liters will work.

Customizing
I ordered an aluminum pole on eBay at 8USD and heated the joints on the fiberglass pole to make the glue release the joints from the poles. I cut the aluminum poles to correct length and glued the joints back onto the new poles after first trimming of half of their weight by cutting 2cm off of each side of the joints. The new custom aluminum pole weights 170 grams.

I threw away the steel pegs and replaced them with aluminum ones. They weigh 130 grams.

I decided to make a second pole to heighten the tent at the footend. I simply used the aluminum poles and short steel bends (making soft corners) and made an arching minipole (same shape as the original main pole) that I placed 40cm from the footend of the tent. I marked the inner tent at three points where i sewed on nylon loops with snap-on hooks to attach to the pole.

I cut away 90% of the loop on the inner tent where the main pole is threaded and sewed on snap-on hooks to allow for popping the tent fly-first.

I have sewn two nylon loops onto the middle of the inner about 50cm from the floor (almost in the middle of the inner between the main pole and the floor) and glued two plastic hooks onto the inside of the fly to attach them to, to stop the inner from "caving in" on my head.

I remowed four steel rings that was sewn on to the footprint of the inner (at its widest point) without any clearly stated (or later discovered) meaning (hence the comments on the manual).

All-in-all I have introcuced a new pole to raise the roof in the footend and upgraded the tent in many ways. This has taken me two days i guess, and the tent now weighs 2170 grams (was 2500 grams).

I love the design of the tent and the two doors. The fly is dual-tone, and this does create more "light" at the headroom that a full green outer would.

I am happy with my purchase, but would not have used this tent much (at least not with down sleeping bag in rainy conditions) without modifications because of the lack of room at the footend. You might not have a problem at all with this if you are 170cm or less (And keep in mind that the same problem applies to 2p Copper Spur for 185cm+ persons, but cant be remedied without the risk of destroying "HiTech" materials).

This tent is pretty much what I expected, but it held water out better and was shallower at the footend than I had thought.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wetman Tent, 27 July 2009
David J. Marshall (Dubai) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Bedrock Tent - 2 Person (Sports)
This is a very elegant and clever tent but unfortunately it fails on the basic requirement - to keep you dry! Love the light weight, easy pitch design and the double side doors but it leaks !! The vent panel below the hoop drips constantly in heavy rain and both occupants get wet. Also flysheet rests on inner tent at foot level so that doesn't work either !!! a shame 'cos otherwise a nice piece of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Tent!!, 15 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Coleman Bedrock Tent - 2 Person (Sports)
This was the first time i ever put up my own tent and was extremely worried as i was going to Bestival for 4 days and wasnt just gonna enjoy the festival but was working as a cocktail bartender, so good rest was really important!!
i had absolutely no issues with this tent! setting it up was the easiest thing ive ever done and breaking it down was just the same!

Day1: Set up nice and easy and Blessed with nice weather.

Day2: Windy & Pissed down like mad! Stable with NO LEAKS!!!!!!!!

Day3: Sunny and warn! i forgot to leave an opening so woke up in a sauna!

Day4: Sunny again! breakdown nice and simple again.

Drawbacks:
1) the only thing i found a bit uncomfortable was getting changed as one cant stand up in this tent! but it was absolutely perfect for my needs!
2) technically not a 2 man tent!!! unless your with your partner and would liketo snuggle up everynight, but would still be a tight fit!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great at the price, but could so easily have been even better, 19 Aug. 2010
Nicholas J. R. Dougan "Nick Dougan" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Coleman Bedrock Tent - 2 Person (Sports)
There is no doubt that this tent is great value. I've only used it solo so far, but there is plenty of room for two people. There are a couple of design flaws, however, one of which is probably a necessary consequence of its economy construction, and another that I do think Coleman could have thought through better:

Flaw 1: The fibreglass hoop relies on two shaped sections (it is not simply a straight pole that bends into a curve like for some tents I have used), it appears rather fragile, and as soon as it breaks the tent will therefore be unusable with no easy way of substituting the part. I wonder, not in great expectation, if Coleman would provide a replacement.

Flaw 2: there is very little clearance between the inner and the flysheet at the "feet" end of the tent, as a consequence of which the bottom of your sleeping bag gets wet with condensation if it isn't raining, and is quite likely to let in water when it rains heavily. The rear guy rope does not hold the flysheet out far enough, and there is no built-in way of linking fly and inner to achieve both separation and holding both tent walls out. This, I feel, could easily have been designed in at little additional cost.

My tent seems to have one additional flaw, a production flaw, although other users may have an alternative explanation. I have a 6" long zip across the bottom corner of the inner tent just beside the main zip, on just one side of the tent. I can think of no practical value for this, and I suspect it is there simply because the panel was cut a little too small in manufacture and the zip was inserted to allow another piece of fabric to be joined while disguising the fact that it's only there because of a mistake.

However, while this is a tent manufactured down to a price, as I say it is great value. It kept me reasonable dry in windy conditions at 800m on a Scottish mountain ridge, it is quite quick to erect and dismantle, and it only costs the same as two nights in a bunk-house, or half a night in a hotel!

3.0 out of 5 stars good tent to look at, 30 April 2010
N. Phillips (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Bedrock Tent - 2 Person (Sports)
Good to look at but the inside of the tent was soaking wet in the morning, will try and leave a door open next time to let moisture out but that will let in the bugs and that defeats the object of the thing. no room for kit if 2 people camping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bedrock Two Man Tent, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Coleman Bedrock Tent - 2 Person (Sports)
I bought this to go to Glastonbury at the last minute. As another review has mentioned the space at the narrow end is very low for your feet if you are 6'2" like me. Other than that it is fine. Easy to put up and I can imagine it would be resistant to strong winds. Also has a door either side which again would be useful in adverse weather. Whilst tent is two man I wouldn't like to have two people and their kit in it as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 19 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Coleman Bedrock Tent - 2 Person (Sports)
Better than the spected. A little heavy, but resist very well strong winds. Tested in Mulhacen mountain (Granada, Spain), at slower grades (Celsiusunder zero).

Very god product. I Recomended it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Did the job just fine, 29 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Coleman Bedrock Tent - 2 Person (Sports)
I must admit I was a little tentative taking this tent on a backpacking week after reading some of the reviews here. I have just returned from a pretty rainy week backpacking along Hadrian's Wall.

The first night (very rainy) was the first time I ever actually used it. I secured the guy rope at the foot of the tent, and had no problem with leakage at the foot of the tent. A couple of drops of rain did come in the ventilation area; I had not secured those guy ropes on the first night.

The second night (also rainy), I did secure the guy ropes and had no problem with leakage. You need to keep the flap away from the rest of the outer. I just made a small gap, and had no problems whatsoever for the rest of the week.

The tent is small, and really would only properly accommodate one person plus their backpack. If there were a second person, I'm not sure how easily backpacks would fit, too. Getting changed wasn't a big issues; there is enough headroom. Not really sure how necessary those little 'windows' are on the sides, since you can't see out of them much anyway. Putting the tent up is quite simple but a little fiddly lining up the outer easily, but really it only take 5 minutes or so. The tent is quite light and packs up quite small.

If I had one small criticism, it would be more about the bag the tent comes in! You have to be able to roll everything up really small (a bit of a feat in wet weather!) to avoid wrestling with the zipper, and I found some of the stitching on the bag came a little loose quite easily. So, a stronger bag would have been nice, and yes, I agree, a couple more pegs.

Coleman Bedrock Tent - 2 Person