5.0 out of 5 stars astonishing poetry
For many, Bishop is the quintessential American poet of the twentieth century. Subtle, crafted and frequently surreal, her poems tend to centre on loss, travel and the way we understand ourselves through the physical world around us. Her exquisite acts of describing islands, animals, ports and quietly untidy human habitations on the fringes show a thinking,...
Published on 15 Nov 2006 by A reader

2.0 out of 5 stars boring and uninspiring
I know americans think she is one of the greats, but they say that about robert frost and langston hughes too. Nuff said.
Published 19 months ago by john black

2.0 out of 5 stars Puzzled - lack of Perception?, 19 Oct 2009
N. Wilson "gogleddwr" (Yorkshire, UK of GB and NI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Complete Poems (Paperback)
Is it me or is it Elizabeth Bishop? - following recommendations I do find her work a disappointment. There is, I suppose, an over florid verbosity which I usually associate with American "creative writing" ... too many lovingly inserted adjectives which somehow entangle rather than elucidate, and here, strangely, choices of wording which somehow mis-directed me towards interpretations different from those intended. My fault, or hers? - I find the analysis difficult, but the truth is that I was left cold and untouched.

The Complete Poems
The Complete Poems by Elizabeth Bishop (Unknown Binding - 1969)
Out of stock