5.0 out of 5 stars Bosch AXT 23TC
Published on 21 July 2010 by Willy

2.0 out of 5 stars A very disappointing product.
Published on 21 July 2011 by Graham, IOW

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A very disappointing product., 21 July 2011
This review is from: Bosch AXT 23 TC Quiet Shredder (discontinued by manufacturer) (DIY & Tools)
For at least a decade, my Bosch AXT 2000HP has given faultless service. Now its spiral cutting blade is blunt and the shredder is beyond economic repair. I needed a new shredder and again looked at the Bosch brand. The spinning blade variety looked too lightweight and unable to tackle the woodier items. The drum cutting `D' range looked good for thicker items, but not too good for lighter material. The AXT 23 TC looked ideal. Pricey, but worth it if it performed and lasted like the old shredder.

I ordered the shredder and it arrived within 24 hours. I had a whole afternoon to try it out. By the end of the afternoon, it was re-boxed and ready to be returned to Amazon.

I have read positive reviews about this product, but I am mystified. Unlike the old spiral cutting shredders which draws material in and cuts it up very small, the TC requires constant attendance cajoling material into the slot. The cutting device is a relatively small slotted cone with highly sharpened cutting edges. These slots would indicate the largest material that can be digested; not very big. They also blocked very easily on perennial and shrubby material. Softer material merely wrapped itself around the cone where it was crushed and went nowhere. The cheap plastic `prodder' did not inspire confidence. Whereas the metal hook used on the AXT 2000HP was used occasionally, the plastic device supplied with the TC had to be used constantly. I kept adjusting the technique of feeding material to see if I could find an optimum method, but with no luck. I shredded a very small pile of shrubby and perennial material and was exhausted and disappointed. I definitely felt that I had done far more work than the shredder.

It may be that someone stepping up from a simpler spinning blade shredder thinks this is pretty good, hence some of the positive reviews. However, it is a retrograde step from the earlier spiral cutting shredders. A garden shredder has been an integral part of my gardening armoury for many years and now I feel I have nowhere to go. There are other makes and types of shredder, but nothing seems to provide the right balance for my needs.

This is the first time I have ever been unhappy with a product supplied by Amazon. Amazon, however, have been first class. The product was collected and the full cost refunded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosch AXT 23TC, 21 July 2010
What a brilliant machine! I read a large number of reviews before settling on this unit, and the one comment I must make is that the person who wrote that they are noisy and make an unacceptable whine, must have bought a dud. Mine is SOoo quiet that the wood being crunched up makes more noise than the machine. This led to my not using ear defenders which was a BIG mistake, as I now have a perforated eardrum from a 10million-to-one occurrance where a dry twig at the end of one of the branches I was shredding this last weekend, managed to stab me in the ear before disappearing down the chute (don't worry Amazon and Bosch - I'm not going to sue either of you!). This gives rise to a warning! Be extra vigilant when shredding VERY DRY material, as it tends to rotate much more while being sucked into the machine (holding the wood too firmly is not a good option!). The basket (box, actually) is adequate but annoying, as it needs attention far too often - it holds a decent enough amount, but the shreddings tend to accumulate directly below the shredder outlet, and the machine needs to be tilted every now and then or the box partially removed and the contents spread out by hand, to fill completely. It attacks wet and leafy wood with tremendous gusto (green fir tree branches and leaves were very well chopped). Very thin pieces of wood, less than 10mm diameter can get through chopped into 100mm lengths - I haven't figured out how, yet, and I'm really not too worried about it, to be honest. Thank you BOSCH.
My overall recommendation is a definite Five-Star BUY. Just don't EVER feed it metal or sand, otherwise you will pay through the nose for a new cutting wheel!
DELIVERY just could not have been better. I ordered the machine about 10pm on Wednesday via SUPER SAVER, received DESPATCH confirmation on Thursday, and it arrived on my doorstep before midday Friday. BRAVO AMAZON!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 5 Nov. 2009
Mr. Roy Foreman (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Bosch AXT 23TC shredder to replace my old one on the basis of it's claimed quietness rating and its ability to deal with green matter as well as woody branches. As far as quietness is concerned, the motor is quiet enough but there is an annoying and noisy whine from whatever transmission reduces the motor speed to drive the slow turning turbine. However, the process of shredding material is almost noiseless so the overall noise levels are acceptable, but not as good as I had hoped for.

The machine is well built and easy to use and very powerful. It eats through large branches with no trouble and it's easy to feed material into the hopper - much more so that any other shredder I've used. The big problem is that any material less than about 10mm in diameter just goes straight through hardly shredded at all, and blocks up the collection box. As most domestic prunings and cuttings tend to be smaller than this size and non woody in nature this is a serious drawback of this shredder, considering it is supposed to cope with both types of material.

Overall a powerful and well built shredder that is easy to use, but only for larger, woody branches not soft cuttings. And at over twice the price of my old shredder it does not represent good value for money as it does not do a better job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for thicker branches, 9 Nov. 2010
Does what it says on the box. Makes short work of thicker branches but not good on thinner or succulent material for which you need Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 electric shredder or equivalent. Although claimed to do so I don't really think there is a machine yet that does both jobs efficiently. You have to make a choice considering which type of material you will be shredding most or buy both (as I did) but this works out a bit expensive.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke down on second use!, 22 Oct. 2010
E. J. Angell (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
Bitterly disappointed. Performance was good, but on it's second use it reverted to running in reverse only - even when 'forward' button was pressed!
Bosch said to return it to them, but by then I had disposed of the huge box that it came in - I had to spend hours constructing one out of bits of cardboard.
It's still away with them, and I can't say that it has enhanced my Bosch Buying Experience. Perhaps it was just a one-off, but the 'touch button' controls don't seem as robust as the old hefty switches.

2.0 out of 5 stars please read this before purchasing AXT23C, 16 April 2012
Bosch AXT 23 TC Quiet Shredder
I purchased the AXT 23TC shredder and I am so disappointed, I feel like crying!. It simply does not shred. It just cuts the branches into 1" long pieces. I achieved the same result - albeit took me longer- using secateurs. I did some research and I knew that the pieces would be quite large, but that was Ok because I wanted to create a path using the chippings from the branches off a tree that came down in the storms.However, I did expect the machine to shred the branches so that they no longer resembled a cut twig! I tried softer,thinner Willow and all the machine did with these, was partly cut through the length.

I have had two shredders before and both had far superior shredding abilities. The last one only cost £89.00. Granted it didn't last very long - but it did what it said on the box i.e SHRED.

Having said all that, the machine is quiet and seems well built. But beware, it is unbalanced and could easily topple over when moving it about.

So, I just wanted to warn anyone thinking of parting with £300.00 plus - just make sure the size of the cut pieces are what you want- otherwise you will be disappointed, like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD SHREDDER, 13 July 2011
GOOD POINTS Well packed and well designed. Works as described, and IS QUIET as an electric cylinder mower. My dog is happy to sit by me using it, whilst he would stay in the house when my old Ryobi Trisecta growled and hammered its food down. The AXT23TC will reduce branches to half inch slivers. Leaves, ivy and bramble are chewed up too if you adjust the pressure plate to just clear the cutting wheel("factory setting" was a 3-4mm gap). Hard well dried branches as thick as can be squeezed past the safety jaws are effortless, and I could not induce a jam in three hours of work even though I tried to. Not too unstable on its wheels.

NIT PICKING Faster overall (maybe twice as quick) than my old Ryobi Trisecta shredder which would jam on thick really hard stuff maybe every 20 minutes, BUT THE RYOBI DOES DICE MUCH FINER (Maybe 1/4 inch slivers).The collection box can move forward if you are giving the machine some "wellie" and cuts the power off. So you need to give it a kick back in now and then. The Bosch would be easier to move around if it had something to hold when moving it. They have made it as low and smooth as they could which gives you nothing to grab. So a handle or two where needed would be a big help to anyone who tends to tip it over when moving it.

VERDICT Overall very satisfied and would buy another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boach axt 23Tc shredder, 2 Nov. 2010
Bosch AXT 25D Shredder
An improvement on the usual crusher type because it chops the material more finely and does not jam even with quite thick and knobbly branches. It also has an easy method of adjusting the blade.The bigger engine version would be better for quicker working and the two wheels which are for moving the shredder around ought to be bigger. The machine tends to tip over when pulled across modest slopes.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHREDDER REVIEW, 10 May 2011
I'M VERY HAPPY WITH THIS SHREDDER. IT DOES AS MUCH AS CAN BE EXPECTED AT THE PRICE.
IT SIMPLY EATS LEYLANDII (VERY SATISFYING) BUT CAN STRUGGLE A BIT WITH GREENISH OR STRINGY PLANT MATERIAL.
IT'S ALSO A LITTLE UNSTABLE WHEN BEING MOVED DUE TO IT BEING NARROW FOR IT'S WEIGHT-SO NOT SUITABLE FOR SEVEN STONE WEAKLINGS.
ALSO STAND BACK WHEN SHREDDING BRANCHES AS THEY CAN WHIP ABOUT A BIT.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works well but appalling collection box, 21 Aug. 2012
John Barrett (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Before my Bosch AXT 23 TC I had an original Atco one, getting on for 15 years old before was un-reparable. So I was interested in the AXT for its ability to cope with green/wet material (even if not shred it at least not clog up). I was unsure about the collection box and was concerned it could be a nuisance.
Running it for the first time on what was left of my hedge trimmings gave a good test. It was indeed much better at not clogging, but not perfect and still needed clearing at times though this was much easier than with the old Atco. But the box is a nightmare it limits where you can put the shredder much more (it needs a bigger flat area), is much more difficult to carry to empty than my old bag but worst the thing keeps sliding out and turning the shedder off. Even on a concrete paving slab it was doing it appeared just using the ATX caused vibration that had the thing moving it drove me mad.
So a very mixed result, it worked well but needed a larger rock in front of the box to keep it working. I will get a shock cord to retain it, but its mad having to use anything to keep the collection box in at all!
For build and working I rate it highly, for the box VERY lowly.

After using this for a year I have updated my marking, DOWN. Its a useless tool for shredding, its slow and for most material fails to do what it claims on the tin. Both I and my wife find we spend more time clearing the thing than actually marking material (marking nit cutting. We find we have collected a larger pile of think twigs to try to keep it clear, but usually in vane. the problem is it strips leaves and other soft material from stems and clogs up the cutter with German efficiency. So we have decided you will find this shredder us-full if you have thick twigs (bent bits cause problems so must be nearly unbent) To strip off all green material (or buy a drying kiln to treat them! Be grateful the hopper top is built to come off easily, you will have it off a lot of the time.
Ensure you have VERY flat ground with no steps to move it on or attend a gym for fitness classes to help lug the thing about (again Bosh can sell you fitness equipment. Even with enough fitness be ready for a hernia rebuild as it has a mind of its own with its useless small wheels.
This was one of the most expensive wast's of money I have ever made, do not do the same!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›