5.0 out of 5 stars New Bosch Lawnraker Performs Well
The new Bosch ALR 900 seems well up to the job of scarifying as well as raking the lawn. The machine was easy to assemble and the instructions were clear and simple to follow.

The 900 watt motor never seemed under pressure when I used the machine continuously throughout the day for scarification.

The 50 litre collection box (which is large for an...
Published on 19 April 2009 by Graham Standley

3.0 out of 5 stars Bosch ALR 900 ELECTRIC LAWNRAKER
Published on 6 July 2009 by Mr. W. H. Haines

5.0 out of 5 stars New Bosch Lawnraker Performs Well, 19 April 2009
Graham Standley (Sturton by Stow, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker (DIY & Tools)

The 50 litre collection box (which is large for an electric model) does fill quickly but, even so, it is an appropriate size for this machine which is quite light and relatively maneuverable. The box empties easily into a standard dustbin bag.

The wire tines remove a considerable amount of debris from the lawn and you need to be prepared to dispose of plenty of moss and thatch after use.

The "jetstream" collection is excellent; the debris all goes straight into the collection box until it is full to capacity which is every few minutes.

This lawn raker is ideal for a medium to large lawn with the obvious restriction that it is mains powered so your range will be determined by the length of your extension lead. Although I use a petrol mower, I thought this product was about right for me considering that scarification is probably a once or twice a year task.

Although it "folds away for convenient storage" when not in use it will still occupy at least as much space as the box it arrives in - which is worth considering if you are short of space.

It has four height settings that are easily selected by adjusting the height of the front wheels with the two levers. The higher settings are used to collect surface debris, such as leaves, while the lower settings scarify thatch and moss and, inevitably, some grass.

The only downside is that if your lawn is very uneven, you may find it hard to find a setting that will perform as you expect. This is a powerful piece of kit and, naturally, it will remove almost everything it finds indiscriminately so test it on the higher settings first.

So unless you have a huge lawn and you are prepared to spend a lot more money on a petrol scarifier or you can manage happily with a smaller model, this does seem an excellent choice and good value on Amazon at under 100.

Update July 2012 - the machine is still going strong but I have just replaced the tines (prongs) for the first time and it is raking out moss just like new. So, if your ALR900 seems to be less effective than it was, it is easy to fit new tines. You will just need a pair of pliers to make removal and re-fitting easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS ONE !, 26 April 2010
G. Westwood "G Westwood" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker (DIY & Tools)
IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING AN ELECTRIC LAWNRAKER UNDER 100 DO NOT LOOK ELSEWHERE. I PURCHASED THIS BOSCH MACHINE TO REPLACE A SIMILAR SIZED BLACK AND DECKER MACHINE WHEN THE MOTOR BURNT OUT. THE DIFFERENCE IS AMAZING AND I WISH MY BLACK AND DECKER HAD BURNT OUT A LONG TIME AGO!!! THE BOSCH IS SO MUCH LIGHTER AND QUICKER TO USE AS WELL AS PACKING IN MORE MOSS BEFORE IT NEEDS TO BE EMPTIED. AS WELL AS THAT, IT HAS A REAR COLLECTING BOX SO NO STONES ETC. ARE THROWN FORWARD, UNLIKE THE MACHINES WITH COLLECTING BASKETS TO THE FRONT. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT AND I DON'T NORMALLY WRITE REVIEWS.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bosch ALR 900 ELECTRIC LAWNRAKER, 6 July 2009
This review is from: Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker (DIY & Tools)
Operates well with a good sized collection box BUT there seems to a design problem with the spring lawn raker tynes. Bosch supplied two spares with the machine which should have warned me. After three days use on a flat lawn three of the tynes unwound and sprung off into the collection box. I phoned Bosch technical department, they apologised for the problem and said that they would send replacement tynes in about a week. After 4 weeks I am still waiting. Today they said that there was a delay in getting spare tynes and would I phone back again (rather than they would phone me).

5.0 out of 5 stars lawn rake, 9 July 2009
B. Sturgeon - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker (DIY & Tools)
excellent product well made very easy to use and stores away with folding handle a good idea,dose what it says on the box,very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bosch LawnRaker/Scarifier, 12 Oct 2012
A. Thomas (Near Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker (DIY & Tools)
The Bosch name is very reputable. The machine requires some relatively simple assembly prior to operation.
The bolts and wing nuts supplied should do the job, however, one of the bolts is too short and none of the wing nuts supplied would pick up the thread.
I resolved this issue with the use of a hexagon nut instead. Upon assembly the collection box seems a bit flimsy and flexible.
After assembly and a quick read of the operation manual, a bit of a novelty this for man, I setup and attacked the front lawn.
The machine has four height level settings, easy to adjust. The lower the unit the more fierce the attack on the thatch and moss.
I did try manual raking of the lawn and was getting no where, hence the purchase. The machine does a great job, first pass with level setting high - test run.
Second pass I lowered it by another one and started ripping out thatch and moss, two and half collection boxes in less than 30 minutes and I was done.
I left the lawn for another week allowing the rain and proprietary weed and feed to do its work.
I then attacked the lawn again but this time on the lowest setting. The lowest setting also scratches the ground and this was evident.
The lawn has been allowed to get into a very poor state and I collected another two boxes of dead vegeitation/moss. The collection box holds very light thatch and moss so sturdiness and strength does not seem necessary.
I inspected the tines afterwards and saw no signs of damage to them. The ground was soft from the previous days rain and this would seem a sensible time to do this sought of deep scarifying.
The bare patches were reseeded and has recently started to germinate.
Looking forward to having a front lawn consisting of grass instead of moss and weeds next spring.
I think the machine is worth the money and does the job. I did purchase spare tines at the time of purchase as other peoples reviews indicated they were easily broken.
I have not experienced this yet, perhaps I am more careful.
When wanting to change direction with the lawnraker, tip it slightly backward to raise the tines from the floor then turn to face the direction you want to go.
Return the machine back to the floor and carry on in a forward direction. Avoid turning whilst tines are in contact with the ground/lawn.
A couple of spare tines are included with the machine should you need them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bosch ALR 900, 25 May 2009
Bosch ALR 900 - Electric Lawnraker
Easy to put together and just wolfs up the thatch. Flimsy handle on the collecting bin is the only fault so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great beast, 29 July 2009
H. McSpadyen (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker (DIY & Tools)
Have just used my new lawnraker and it's 10 times better than the old Qualcast it's replacing. It picks up moss easily, covered our huge lawn with no difficulty and is so easy to empty. The bag capacity is great and saves emptying every row as happened with the old machine. Stores neatly because it folds down. Wish I'd bought this sooner. Even though our garden is long (300 feet, mainly grass) and we use an extension cable, a minor issue is the length of the cable supplied - could have been a bit longer to improve manoeuvrability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb scarifying lawn rake, 6 Oct 2009
G. Horsham (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker (DIY & Tools)
What a wonderful scarifying lawn rake. I have been labouring for years with a good old fashioned hand rake, scratching away for hours trying to get rid of the perennial lawn thatch that accrues over time. This is doubly so in my garden as we have 4 guinea pigs which run around a very large movable run on the lawn. With all the scraps of hay and other bits that get left behind, we move the run every 2-3 days, there is a lot of mess that needs picking up!

I decided to give my arms a break this year and purchase this Bosch electric lawn rake and what a joy it is. Within 5 minutes of getting it out of the box, it was assembled and ready to go. I read up a little bit before hand, so had mown the lawn before to ensure it was the same height all over. The lawn rake has 4 height settings, so I started on the highest, level 4, not knowing what it would do. One quick pass over a small strip showed it will easily pick up most hay floating around the surface. Level 3 showed that it would scratch into the lawn a bit and I managed to half fill a recycling sack with one pass of another strip. I still thought that it needed a bit more so I ended up with level 2 which scarified just nicely enough to scratch into the surface and pick up a huge amount of thatch. I daren't try level 1 !

The amount of thatch it picks up is incredible and even though the lawn looks a bit ragged now, it looks so much cleaner. A week later, after a small amount of rain, the lawn is beginning to pick up already and looking a lot healthier. I am very keen to get out there and do it again, but this will apparently not do the lawn much good. I possibly will go over it every couple of months, on the highest level, just to tidy up after those pesky guinea pigs, but will leave the true scarifying for spring and autumn.

For the rake itself, there are a number of metal sprung tines on a cylindrical rotating head, and the whole machine is deceptively light and manoeuvrable. I found that it was very easy to push it along at a rate of knots, but the best results where achieved when moving slowly and steadily. And it can be packed up as easily as it was put together, so very compact to store.

All in all a thorough recommendation. Easy to setup, easy to use and easy to pack up again.

4.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions, 13 May 2009
Mr. A. D. Pay (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker (DIY & Tools)
This was to replace an old Qualcast rake. Performance is good but don't lower height too much as can be a bit brutal! A longer mains lead would have been useful. Light weight, easy to use, but a little bulky for storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what is expected of it., 6 July 2009
This review is from: Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker (DIY & Tools)
Easy to use. It took so much moss and thatch out of my lawn that I filled 2 large garden sacks very quickly. Would recommend this product very highly.

Bosch ALR 900 Electric Lawnraker