4.0 out of 5 stars It "sucks" but in a good way!
I picked up one of these to replace a tired Lidl budget hand held Vacuum which refused to charge after years of use.
Have to be honest, I am overall quite impressed.

Before I go on read this part it's logical but often overlooked...

Published 14 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for adhoc use,not main cleaning.
Published 2 months ago by Yvonne Wieneke

4.0 out of 5 stars It "sucks" but in a good way!, 9 Oct 2013
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Black & Decker NW4860N Wet & Dry Dustbuster Handheld Vacuum - 4.8 Volt (Kitchen & Home)
Have to be honest, I am overall quite impressed.

Before I go on read this part it's logical but often overlooked...

- No it's not as powerful as a household cleaner, but then it's a hand held Vac so you should have realistic expectations
- You have to "clean and wash" the sponge filter from time to time. Probably the number 1 reason for the complaints about suction.
- If you start sucking up paint dust from sanding, or ashes from a fire it's going to quickly clog up the filter, as it does with just about any Vac out there.

Compared to the "super budget hand held" I had this is much better at picking dirt up (suction is significantly better), it also last about what they say on the spec sheet ie 8-9 mins on a full charge. It's pretty easy to clean and empty too.

You get a "wet" pick up tool and a crevace tool. Both work fine though I wouldn't mind a longer reach with the second one.
In most cases I don't use any tools with this, it gets frequent use in the car (works great for this) and around the house picking up normal dirt and dust ie crumbs and things like that, also works well on stairs where a bigger Vac is more hefty to carry around and awkward. I've no complaints with this model it works well, it's pretty well made (feels durable enough) It has decent suction, certainly quite good for a hand held and v other makers offerings I've tried.

Recommended, but don't have unrealistic demands here either. If you want to Vac your house top to bottom then you need a mains hoover which is obviously more powerful. For its intended use this is a good buy.

Update Feb 2014:
The Vac is working well to date being used as a general quick pick up device in the house, and the car quite frequently.
Battery power: I note some review saying they're not getting much time out of the Vac, but I find it to be roughly in line with the makers specification ie 8-9 mins or around there.

You do have to ensure you charge the Vac for quite a decent length of time (ie overnight) or as some do just have it on charge all the time as and when needed (I do turn the charger off when fully charged myself) A few hours charge just won't do it at all, bar a few mins of pick up time.

I also have a leak in the car and used the black and decker to "suck up" the water with the supplied wet pick up tool. This worked quite well but pay attention to the water level, and don't tilt the Vac backwards letting water into the motor (it blasts it out as a fine spray)

As a wet/dry Vac for general use it's still recommended as I'm much happier with this than the other budget offerings I've tried (it actually has enough suction to pick dirt up!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the money, 10 April 2014
I have 2 children and getting the hoover out everytime they drop something was driving me mad. I bought this as it was a good price and Black and Decker are a good make. It does the job. Charge lasts about 15 minutes before it needs recharging. Has decent suck on it - gets dropped peas up great!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for guinea pig poop, 4 Sep 2012
This is my first handheld hoover and i browsed for weeks and read many reviews on handheld hoovers. For the price i ended up going for this one as its wet/dry. gave it a charge after purchase and its great for picking up dog hair and especially brought it for guinnea pig poop as i built my daughter her own run/hutch in her bedroom....works a treat and is easy to empty and clean. Picks up hay also and most things you can think of on the carpet. well well well worth the low price and its Black n Decker - established maker.
Can i say thanks to the other people who also wrote simple reviews to understand, some people write utter rubbish on here>>>like - this hoover was no good because i couldn't clean my whole house in one go. Read the description before you buy (idiots). lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 6 Jun 2013
This is fantastic, extremely good value for money, especially with the deduction, you could not buy this cheaper in a shop.
I love it, cos I don't have to always get my hoover out to hoover the kitchen, and especially to get in the corners of my floor.
Arrived before estimated time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not heavy duty but perfect for cleaning up small amounts of waste, 11 Nov 2014
Before purchasing the Black & Decker Wet and Dry Dustbuster I was concerned that many of the reviews considered it to be under powered. I was after something to use in the kitchen to pick up mainly dry crumbs off the kitchen worktop and from the floor.

For that sort of use I can confirm that it has proved to be ideal and not under powered. There are more powerful models available so if you want something to clean out a vehicle for example maybe a more powerful unit would be required but as a general kitchen aid to manage the small spillage the 4.8 Volt would appear perfectly acceptable.

I haven't needed to clean up any liquids yet, and probably wouldn't bother but it is useful to know that it should be okay to do so, I would probably only use it to clean up water as I can imagine anything sticky would cause more problems than it solves.

There are a few niggles, one that it is designed to be wall mounted so could prove limiting to some people, especially if there is not a convenient power point close to a convenient position on the wall. The power cable that is provided is not particularly long and could not be easily extended. in my case neither of these were a problem. I did come across a similar model that has a freestanding stand that can be placed on a worktop counter.

Another niggle is the rubber adapter that is required for liquids, but is not required for dry waste, it would be useful if there was somewhere on the unit or the wall bracket that could be used to store the rubber adapter when not required. In the absence of anywhere to store the adapter I have resorted to leaving the rubber adapter in the unit and just take it off for dry waste.

After I purchased the item I did see it elsewhere for considerably less, but can't fault the prompt delivery I received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for money, 16 Aug 2014
This is my first DustBuster and I love it so would highly recommend this for value for money.
I spent ages reading reviews which were almost going to get me spending double the money and even more ...... but I'm glad I didn't as this does just the trick. It's NOT a mains powered Hoover so I really don't understand why people moan about the suction power. This does exactly what it's supposed to do and really is great value for money.
I have lots of laminate floors and a cat that tends to moult all year round so this is absolutely perfect for a quick Hoover up of his fur as well as the crumbs in the kitchen in between a full all over the house Hoover.
Very pleased with this great buy :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value hand held vac, 26 Oct 2014
I ordered this as I was fed up of hauling my full sized upright vacumn half way up the stairs to vac them. Its actually a really good little hand held vac. It comes with a rubber attachment that fits on the front which narrows the sucking area. Think this is designed for sucking up liquids ( I havent used it for spillages) but I actually find by attaching this the suction on my stairs is brilliant. I have also used it for little accidents. It sucked up a pile of cornflakes that we spilled on the kitchen floor and is great for sucking up bits off the table cloth. The charge lasts plenty long enogh to vac your car out although I would be wary of using it for heavy duty cleaning. Its very easy to empty by pressing the release button and pulling out the filters. It does advise you to keep the filters clean but as you can see the filters every time you empty it It should be easier to identify when they will need washing.Its a useful addition to a full sized vac and Im sure it will get plenty of use. A good buy and very reasonable when comparing it to other models.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad after you figure it out!, 15 Jan 2011
To be honest, I was disappointed when this product arrived (10 days late!). I couldn't get it to even hoover up dirt from my car. However, I then tried the "nozzles" that come with it and now it works a treat. My car looks lovely and new.
Obviously the run time of about 10 minutes is a down side but inexpensive and does what it says on the tin!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for adhoc use,not main cleaning., 27 Sep 2014
Exactly what I expected as I've had one previously. It's not massively powerful but is perfect for my purpose which is to vac up crumbs & bits of fluff & pet hair off laminate or tiled floor. The rubber crevice tool makes it easier to get into corners & it's simple to empty & keep clean. I couldn't live without one as it's so handy. It's predecessor stopped being charged after approximately 4 years, but I thought that was reasonable, given the fact that I've had 2 other handheld vacs in between, lasting much less longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars good product, 13 Oct 2014
first handheld battery vacuum cleaner so cannot really compare it with other products. However, it works fine and does what it's supposed to do. this is good for light cleaning, i.e. the floor on a couple of small rooms, the sofa, dining floor after dinner and so on but i guess one may need something a bit more powerful for heavy cleaning.
easy to clean and to recharge so i am very satisfied with it.