on 12 June 2007
I worked on the Apollo 11 launch at Kennedy and therefore have a more than passing interest in the subject. This is the first book about Apollo I have found that is (as far as I can tell) technically perfect. I was sorry when I ran out of book. I especially enjoyed the way Harland included the on-board voice transcripts interspersed with his explanations of what was going on. Lots of good photos and explanatory diagrams. I would rate this 10 stars if it were possible.
on 27 December 2012
I have been impressed with the Praxis Springer series of books looking at the history of space travel and especially those authored by David Harland. This is a perfect sequel to Harlands "Paving The Way for Apollo 11"

This volume takes a detailed look at the historic mission that achieved the goal set by President Kennedy to land a man on the Moon and return him safely to the Earth. Rather than simply recounting the story that has been retold many times, this volume takes a far more detailed look at the entire mission. It includes many details that are often missed in, what has become, the standard version of events.

The book also includes a great selection of pictures and diagrams to help tell the story. Drawing from many sources, the story of the astronauts, their families and mission control is told in full.

I will certainly be buying Harlands book on the Apollo 12 and hope that the rest of the Moon shots will be covered with the same level of detail. A "must have" for anyone interested in the Space Race.
on 16 December 2013
I was going to give this book 5 stars but deducted a star because the photos shown in the book`s colour photo section are in black and white. This is despite the fact that when you "search inside this book" on Amazon, the photos are shown in colour!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2014
This book is no doubt the most complete story of the Apollo 11 mission. Amazing detail and well written so everyone from casual reader to space geek will enjoy and learn from it.