on 4 January 2011
I thought this looked really good and consider that the Kindle should make an excellent tool for language learning. Before deciding to buy though (it's not cheap after all) I wanted to be sure that the audio files were also included as there's really no indication in the description (misleading by omission?). I tried the free sample on the Kindle and though there was a symbol in the text indicating when to play a particular audio file there was no sign of the audio.
As I couldn't find the information anywhere on the Amazon site, I emailed the publisher who did eventually let me know that the audio content is not included with the Kindle edition.
Not much point without it is there? The previous reviews are obviously by people who bought the hard copy edition, with audio CD.
This is clearly a lost opportunity for Kindle, Amazon and the publisher.
on 31 January 2011
Despite the title, colloquial, it won't equip you to interact in the country. Topics appear in a strange sequence, you have a CV before practice on hotel booking. Some of the dialogues do not cater for realistic interaction, they are more like monologues. The approach is not too grammatical but some sections are quite daunting, like thirteen items to learn for the present.
on 16 June 2009
I was delighted when this book came out. There are many language courses for beginners but once you get past that phase the choices start running thin. The Colloquial 2 series is very welcome. I enjoyed this book and the grammar is well presented. My only disappointment was that after a few chapters it runs short on dialogues. In the first chapter there is a great conversation full of 'colloquialisms'. However, as the book goes on the dialogues become more of a series of monologues on various topics giving more of a training in reading than speaking.
on 23 July 2008
This book has been great, I can finally learn brazilian portuguese properly. It has helped me construct conversational sentences without sounding stuffy! It's also great to keep referencing, and will be an endless source of information and learning. I highly recommend it.