Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 9 September 2004
I'm completely gutted! I have the original on tape which was getting worn out and can't be played in the car so I decided to buy the CD. However, some of the tracks are missing and it all sounds completely different. It's still a beautiful album but for lovers of the original - don't bother.
on 17 September 2002
First of all, I would like to echo the positive comments which have been already expressed by other reviewers of this wonderful soundtrack.
Despite the fact that it is a re-recording and NOT the original recording found on the original 1992 CD release, the sound quality here is excellent throughout. And yes, it is marvellous to have the extra tracks and all this being presented in the correct order is also great.
However, I have a problem with this release and that is that (very brief) Clannad song "I will find you" is NOT on this CD. The reason for this is probably because they could not use the song on this Varese Sarabande score release. This is a crying shame really, because I am sure that all big fans of the film will be disappointed to hear this news.
Strangely enough, Michael Mann himself decided to cut the song from his special "Expanded Director's Edition" DVD release in the USA, so perhaps that is another potential explanation as to why the song is missing here.
In summary then, please do not let this omission put you off from buying the CD. However, for the complete Last of the Mohicans soundtrack experience, you will still need both this release and the original CD too.
Now if only someone would get round to finally releasing Michael Mann's "Manhunter" soundtrack on Compact Disc (CD) ...!
on 11 April 2006
Well what can I say about this reworking of such a great soundtrack, yes I said reworking as that what this is.
Although it reads like that it is the original soundtrack to this great film, it is not.
It is a very watered down version of the original.
I have the original and have played both one after the other and this version has no feeling it sounds like so many other soundtracks, weak and almost forgettable.
I say almost forgettable as the music itself is beautiful and you can nearly get a feel of this with this watered down version.
Gone is the passion the sense of foreboding the thrill of the chase as well as the sadness conveyed in the original.
The record industry are moaning about the state of there sales well if this is what they are offering then I am not surprised. Not only do they mislead the customer into thinking that this is the original soundtrack. But it is at least 10 minutes shorter than the original and it has been turned it to a bland listening experience. They would have been far better digital remastering the original and adding extra tracks and also putting it in the correct running order.
So if I was you forget this version and do yourself a favor and find the original and leave this one in the bargain bin, I wished I had.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2001
This is definately one of the few albums or soundtracks that you'd be pushed to find a track you don't like. It's really incredible and brings back all the great scenes in the film. The slower tracks are so beatiful they almost send you into a dream world and the quicker ones , like The Kiss, get your feet tapping. A great all rounder. You will definately not be dissappointed with this, i only wish it was longer.
on 10 March 2002
i only bought this for the main theme which coupled with the end sequence is the most emotional piece of cinema ive seen. but the other tracks are also beautiful just not of the same majesty. this is a must for lovers of music full stop
on 1 November 2000
The film is brilliant and the soundtrack is exceptionally briliant and very moving. It is the best movie sondtrack I have ever listened to and I recommend any interested fan to buy this CD. I would definitely give it a 5 star rating.
on 1 March 2007
I was initially disappointed when I played the first track and noticed on the cover'original motion picture score'but I thought that I would give it a listen and its stunning, so if the original soundtrack is better than this then I'm a dutchman.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2004
When I first puchased this back in the late nineties I thought this was a truly spectaculer and riveting piece of music (which it still is) It coincides with the rise of the "epic film" and their scores long since absent.
Sure there are a couple of repetive themes throughout but I do believe that is normal for this kind of soundtrack. Now when i think of colonial America I think of this kind of music which is a testament to The composers skill.
When I first saw the film I then saw it again twice more within the week and that was due in no small part to the score. It really captures the emotions of the movie and I for one am grateful for that. Was a little disapointed the track from Clannad was so short but we cant win them all.
Now being the owner of many fine Movie Scores (LOTR, Gladiator, Last Samuri and more recently the fabulous King Arthur all of which available from Amazon) I look at this soundtrack as being the forerunner of my cd collection (and a great aid to listen to whilst studying for my teaching degree!!!)
on 15 September 2001
I have spent many years searching for this beautiful soundtrack. To me, it is the most thought prevoking and emotive music i've heard. It highlights the tragedy and romance which the movie displays so well. Every time I hear this music I get a lump in my throat . . .
on 29 October 2010
"Last of the Mohicans" was a reasonable enough action film elevated by some superb photography and a truly memorable score; one of the great soundtracks.

So good in fact that they recorded it twice. So which one to get?

Well I have ended up with both and in my opinion this is the better.

I have to endorse the Amazon review which talks about the "intensity" and "martial snap".

To me this sound like an symphonic work not just a piece of film music. It is particularly noticeable in "Ambush" and "Promontory" where the snarl of the brass greatly adds to the texture of the piece. The music progresses from part to part in a way that the original does not.

The disc as a whole is shorter than the earlier version but I really believe this to be a "less is more" situation. By the end of the original version I feel the material is getting spread just a bit thin. "Too many notes" to quote a phrase.

And I can manage without the Clannad song. It's nice enough but a bit of a misfit after an otherwise orchestral disc.