5.0 out of 5 stars A game of creativity
Published on 14 April 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great at first
This is a game that is for all the literature buffs out there. Difficult to win and open to bias. The main problem is that you must rely on other people having a very similar looking picture to your own, descriptions can be weak and flawed and younger players will go with older players opinions if they have no clue.
Published 22 days ago by Michael Crabtree

5.0 out of 5 stars A game of creativity, 14 April 2011
This review is from: Dixit Board Game (Toy)
Dixit is a game with the simplest rules that anyone can play, but to play well requires a certain kind of thinking. Everyone gets a hand of picture cards and on your turn you choose a card, describe it with a sound, word, sentence, quotation etc. and place it face down. The other players must select a card from their hand that matches your description, again placing it face down. The selected cards are all shuffled. The other players then vote on which card they think was the original, but here's the clever part - If they all get it, or if none of them get it, you get no points and everyone else gets points. You have to make your description a little vague to include one or two other cards, but not so vague that it no longer really describes anything. If you manage this, you get points, those who found your card get points, and those whose card fooled other people get points. The player with most points wins when all the cards have been drawn.

The art on the cards is very pretty in itself, and each card is fairly enigmatic. The board is part of the box - you get little wooden rabbits to run around a field for keeping score.

This game is very different to those our group usually plays, being about creativity rather than logical strategy. It is a nice break for between e.g. Eurogames, but would work equally well as a family game. It actually gets harder the more you play it as you have to think up new words for the cards you've seen, as using the same description again is going to give it away. Eventually the cards become a little familiar, but there are expansions out there to solve this, and simply not playing for a week or two helps with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dixit, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Dixit Board Game (Toy)
This was a fantastic find - an utterly addictive game that all my friends and family loved instantly and wanted to keep playing, and rushed out to buy. It can work on many levels - we played with young children and with adults, and the mechanisms work effectively for both. I've also played with different groups of adults - some where everyone knew each other extremely well, and some where there were strangers involved, some regular games players and others not - and it works each time. At first people tend to be cautious and go for "obvious" phrases, but they soon realise that doesn't work and they get creative. I've watched it being played where the players agreed to just use single words, and that also worked fine.
The cards are wonderful, and triggered lots of discussion during the game after they were played.
One thing we found was that it works far better with 6 players, as this means there are more cards to choose from and more chances of getting a vote for your card. Loved the wooden rabbit pieces, although the scoreboard is slightly awkward to use - we made our own to travel abroad with.
Although quite expensive, I think it is great value for money. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Dixit" is to mainstream games what Art Cinema is to a blockbuster, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Dixit Board Game (Toy)
Dreamlike, poetic, with a touch of the surreal... my children love this game. They are aged 7 and 4 and are always asking to play it. It reminds me a little bit of Djeco's "Blah blah blah" -another favourite- where you become a storyteller using a randomly drawn card in combination with a pick of your own hand of cards, or you choose which two may be linked by a common denominator, etc. But "Dixit" is even more about thinking outside the box and about letting your imagination be jump-started by abstract, evocative images and let's see what your unconscious mind regurgitates.

If you like precision in a game, clean-cut and neat ideas, maybe will be a bit exasperated by this game, because "Dixit" is about all that falls beyond those parameters.

There is also a possible danger area: as you're supposed to describe/reflect in any way that comes to your mind the picture on a card (using a sound, a song, a name, the title of a poem, a line from a poem, a riddle, a grimace, anything as long as it beats around the bush and is not literal), it easily triggered accusations such as "you made it too obvious" amongst kids. The very young will in fact find some degree of difficulty trying a more complex, lateral interpretation of images, therefore its 8+ age recommendation. But still worth playing with the younger children as they will be initiated into the art of the metaphor in all its forms (and they will have to make an effort thinking!).

It's also beautifully designed, with very high production values and illustrated in the style of European (mainly French) contemporary children's picture books illustrators. Actually, it does feel very European in concept and aesthetics. When someone dropped a cup of juice on our box it was quite upsetting that out of all the numerous games we have it was "Dixit"'s box the one that had got damaged as it is just like a box full of real or possible dreams that wants to be opened.

P.S. "Dixit 2" is also out full of more, new dreams...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing family game, 25 Jun 2011
This review is from: Dixit Board Game (Toy)
I bought this game to play with the family. My daughter (aged 9) loves it and so do i to be honest. The more players the better but still fun with 3 or more. Awesome party game too. Its good quality and well made. Definately worth the money and shall be played for many years to come. Buy it, it's really good!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect game!, 24 Feb 2011
This review is from: Dixit Board Game (Toy)
I play a lot of boardgames, and this one is so beautifully unique. Everyone I've played this with has loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Genius game, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dixit Board Game (Toy)
I watched an online show of people playing this game before buying it for my girlfriend's birthday. Normally I play games like Ticket to Ride, Zombies and Seven Wonders, so this game was completely different, but so utterly engrossing. There were five of us playing it, and I think that's probably the least number of people you'd need. We had some cultural issues, with two players being English, two being Turkish, and one Colombian, and our various relationships meaning we could target our 'storytelling' to an individual. Mind you, that's half the fun.

You really need to play this game with creative and intelligent people. It's also a bit disappointing that you can only really have one layer of removal between your clue and the picture, once you go beyond that then you're really overassuming what people are able to do. There'll also be the problem of when my girlfriend and I next play this with a different group, as I presume we'll automatically be aware of what strange clues of ours can trigger the answer in the other. But we'll wait and see.

I'd probably also thoroughly recommend this game to families with children of 7 and up.. in fact, just give this game to a bunch of children and see how fascinating they are.
The pictures are beautiful, but they should really provide you with more picture cards. We went through (revealed) about 85% of them in our first game.

4.0 out of 5 stars A different party game...., 11 April 2013
This review is from: Dixit Board Game (Toy)
I love Dixit. Though the first time I played it, I hated it! The idea was so foreign, and I was last and completely manage to be the only person to mess up being in control. Frustrating..... Anyway....

In Dixit, you have 84 picture cards, 6 tokens (numbered 1-6) for 6 players (can be played with 3-6), 6 rabbit "meeples" (why they are rabbits, I have no idea! ) for keeping score with, and in the original version, a player track which sits inside the main box. Each player is dealt 5 cards, and each card has different ambiguous pictures painted on them. No two are the same. Players take it in turns to be the "story teller". When the story teller, the player looks at one of their cards and tells "a story". This "story" only needs to be a sentence or two long. It may even be one word. Other players then look at their cards and choose one to hand to the storyteller, who then shuffles them, and lays them on the table. It is then the job of the other players to vote on which one they think is the story tellers card. Points are then awarded for those who got it right. For those who picked the wrong card, a bonus point is awarded to the player who owns that card. Simple right? Except, if no one guesses the storytellers' card, he receives no points, and everyone else automatically gets two. If everyone guesses right, he also gets no points, and everyone receives two. So if you are the storyteller, you want to make sure you are subtle enough not to be obvious, but not let to many people guess so that you don't give away too many points.

I now absolutely love this game, and when playing with 6, its particularly fun to play the cards with stories you are sure only one or two people will get. What is surprising though is how much interpretation there can be with the cards, and what you might think is completely obvious when placed, may become hard to spot depending on which other cards are laid down.

What I particularly enjoy is the way this game levels the playing field. It's the only game I've played with my Mum where she has near enough begged to play again, because it was so different, and she wasn't winning either! The balance is great, as represented by myself winning the first family game, then coming last in the second. In fact, everyone was in reverse order!

"Dixit" name is not a random word but is very apt, and is latin, meaning "he/she/it said..." which is a perfect name for this game (unless you are slightly immature, which means every time someone says "dix..." your brain goes to a bad place...shame on you! :P ) .

I would highly recommend "Dixit" to gamers who want to get non-gamers into playing, as a social game, or when playing with people who aren't hot on strategy. It's fun as a family game, and kids can get involved too! It also can be a great "getting to know you" game as after each round, you can ask why people chose certain cards or what their stories were about, and there are some fascinating insights at this moment.

You can easily add players as well, and vote using paper if you wanted too. I particularly like the cards in this set, as the Dixit Odyssey Game set (which has 12 player ability) has some cards that to me have some dark imagery which I wouldn't want to play with children. Dixit 3 and Dixit Journey Board Game (which is a repackaging of 3 for the American Market) has a different artist, so if you are not keen on the style here, look into that as an alternative.

The only negative I would say is after we had played it a few times, some of the group found it a lot harder to think of new stories or play certain cards that they recognised, as they could not de-associate them from other stories from when we had played it before. I personally didn't find this, but two of our group both made this comment. If you don't play it often, it's unlikely to be an issue, where as we played it 4 times in a week, which is probably why this happened, but something to bare in mind.

Definitely worth it though, and should be part of all groups who love games!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can see why it was voted game of the year, 17 Jan 2011
This review is from: Dixit Board Game (Toy)
Having been brought up with miserable games like Monopoly and Cluedo, I grew to dislike board games. Having discovered other great "Spiel des Jahres" winners like Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, I thought I would give the latest winner Dixit a try.
This is a truly inspired game. It ticks all the boxes for a great game i.e. fun, ease of play, clear straightforward rules, everyone remains in the game until the end, strategic, caters for players of different age and ability, limited element of chance (no dice to roll), repeat play interest, no two game plays the same, simple scoring, game ends when all cards have been used (so no nightmare game without end such as Monopoly, Uno, Top Trumps, etc).

I won't bother explaining the rules, as the full details can be found on PDF at the manufacturer's website. However, I would like to mention the wonderful artistic cards that really make the game. As well as being great to look at, the cards are very cleverly done so that each one can have a multitude of meanings.

Although we love games like Carcassonne, Dixit rewards imagination as much as strategy and cunning. A wonderful family game.

In fact, we have played it so much that I have just bought the Dixit 2 extension to get double the cards.

5.0 out of 5 stars One the best family/play with friends game ever, 23 Jun 2012
J. Wright "wrightpluming.co.uk" (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dixit Board Game (Toy)
I play a lot of hobby board games with family and friends but this one tops them all.
I heard good things about this game from podcast, reviewers but when reading description I was a little unsure at first, "a story telling game?" I Don't think I will like this. But i brought it on a wim, read the rules and was still unsure, but I got it out with some friends and after a couple of rounds we all got it, and we loved every turn we played.

I'm not going to go through the in and outs of the rules it will blow your mind.
And you don't tell story's, you pick a card a say sentence about that card. It really easy to understand the rules and give a good exsample of how to play. It Plays good with 4 people, plays better with 5 or 6 people, I've played with 12 people after a Wake 6 teams of 2 which was even better. It really lighten the mood and helped them to take their mind off of things for a bit.

The scoring is so balanced in ever game I played so far no one has run away in the lead or got left behide, but saying that the scoring is proplery the one bad thing about the game, it's the insert of the game and the design is stepping stones and if you are not careful you could back track or skip a point of someone. But this is not a game breaker just deal with it.

If you like this and want more then there is Dixit 2, just more cards to mix in, and Dixit: odyssey more cards a better scoring track and plays up to 12 players.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful board game, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Dixit Board Game (Toy)
I first played Dixit with some friends on New Years Eve, once I got over the name (it didn't give the rules of the game away, which made me suspicious) it was a great game and we were playing well into the early morning! The people who had played the game before assured me that the rules were really simple and that I would pick it up quickly. They were right - a very easy game to play, very engaging and best with the maximum number of players as the more choices you have the more difficult it gets.

The artwork on the cards is amazing, and the more you look, the more you see; there are subtle little things that you didn't pick up on when you first looked that change the story you thought of when you look at it.

A wonderful game for both children and adults that will be value for money because it's never the same twice.

ARRAY(0xaa294d08)