5.0 out of 5 stars Superb
Published on 8 Aug 2009 by redversb

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best presentation
I am a fan of Haydn and this CD does not fill me with overwhelming enthusiasm. Perhaps there is not enough of Haydn and in places the trumpet gets a bit monotonous on its own but opinions can be be subjective to the individual and on that score I give in 3 stars as no doubt others will like it more than I do..
Published on 1 Sep 2009 by Rev. J. Cooper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 8 Aug 2009
redversb (Kendal, England) - See all my reviews
When I purchased this CD I was not expecting it to be as good as it turned out to be. I have the two main works (Haydn and Hummel) played by Haken Hardenberger (who I belive has been a teacher of Alison Balsom), and I didn't think it was possible to improve on this, but I was wrong! Alison Balsom plays both works every bit as good, and manages to extract more contrast and tone colour from her instrument. It is Alison Balsom's disc which will played much more frequently than the earlier recording. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific trumpet concertos, 21 Mar 2009
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This is an excellent disc of four of the standard works in the trumpet repertoire, and the Haydn and Hummel concertos particularly are very fine works indeed. With her performances here Alison Balsom shows us why she has made such a stir in the musical world with her freshness, verve, tenderness and a beautiful tone. The lovely, sharp clarity of the sparkling vigorous passages is a joy but what I really loved most was the tender, beautifully phrased slow movements of both the Haydn and the Hummel concertos. It is here that Balsom shows her real control and unflashy virtuosity, and they are truly excellent. The orchestral playing is top-notch, too. Jonathan Freeman-Attwood's liner notes are well written and informative, and the recorded sound is excellent.

This disc confirms Alison Balsom as a musician of the first rank and is worth buying even if you already own other recordings of these works. It's terrific, and I recommend it in the warmest terms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing !, 2 Mar 2009
The best rendering of Hummels trumpetconcerto I've heard. Alison Balsoms playing reminds me Maurice André playing..renewed. BUT I don't think this could have been possible without Deutche Kammerphilharmonie from Bremen.
Balsom and the orchestra are equals in the art of music, the balance is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A. Balsom: Haydn's Trumpet Concerto, 6 April 2011
This is superb. The best rendering I know of this very difficult piece. Just listen to the tonguing! Alison Balsom is becoming the best trumpeter on the circuit.
Wonderful to watch too, if you're ever lucky enough to be where she's playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and uplifting, 18 Mar 2011
I hadn't heard of the trumpeter till I read about her on Amazon. She is a genius and makes the instrument sing with joy. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime trumpet playing, 28 May 2010
M. Durran "Dewdrop" (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
Alison Balsom has it all - and good luck to her! I have seen her performing this piece twice now - once with the BSO and at the Last Night of the Proms in 2009. She lives every note and its a perfect rendition of the work.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good choice, 28 Oct 2009
roger brain (northampton) - See all my reviews
I saw Alison at the last night of the proms and was very taken with her performance.
On this basis I bought this cd.It does not disapoint.She plays with fine tone,and clarity and her attack in the fast passeges leaves you breathless.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Trumpet Treat, 8 Nov 2009
S. Atkinson - See all my reviews
For anyone who enjoys the trumpet this is a must have CD. Alison Balsom is a very, very talented player and this is evident in the performance. It is very evident that she is completely at one with the orchestra and enjoys every moment of the performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A musical joy, 30 Aug 2009
Both concertos are a joy to listen to. The music itself is beautiful and the execution enhances the richness of that beauty. The trumpet ia a lovely mellow instrument and Alison Balsom's playing makes the most of both music and instrument. A balm for the soul in a frenetic world!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gratitude all round!, 17 Oct 2009
E. Dawson (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
Not being a musically-qualified critic, I cannot review this CD professionally but I do want to say how grateful I am to both the perfomers and the recorders for producing such a wonderful disk - I just cannot play it often enough - Alison is just amazing - her skill outstanding and her success so well deserved. Hummel and Haydn would have fallen in love with her. Do buy this disk and share my enthusiam!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Haydn/Hummel: Trumpet Concertos
Haydn/Hummel: Trumpet Concertos by Alison Balsom/Die Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen
Buy MP3 Album7.49