5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent barbecue
Published on 29 April 2010 by A. Naylor

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to the expectation
We have had this BBQ now for 3 months and have used it about 5-6 times. It cooks well, it has enough space to move things around as they cook or burn. On that score it does what a good BBQ should.

I can't fault it for size and packability in a full car off to the beach or going camping, which is the main reason for choosing this model.

On the down...
Published on 14 Aug 2009 by Thomas Dixon

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent barbecue, 29 April 2010
A. Naylor "Aspirant" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hotspot Notebook Portable BBQ (Garden & Outdoors)
We bought this barbecue because it sounded like fun. It truly is we used it all of last summer and yes, it does bend out of shape after getting extremely hot, it does lose some of the paintwork. On the other hand we had a barbecue for seven people with chicken, burgers , sausages etc. It used far less coal than a traditional barbecue and it was a talking point. How can something so small be so efficient? It was clean safe easy to look after and is sitting waiting for another fun filled summer. It is the most economic and efficient barbecue since the hibachi we had in the 1970s.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to the expectation, 14 Aug 2009
Thomas Dixon (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hotspot Notebook Portable BBQ (Garden & Outdoors)

On the down side, the grill racks are already very warped, they get very hot and are not strong enough to withstand the heat. In addition the paint has scorched and burnt on the outside. I find the gaps between the grill wires and on the fire rack are too wide and food slips in to the fire and coals drop down, such as when you are spreading them out once up to temperature.

All in all a great idea that is good for a few uses but not something that I expect to last for more than 20 uses at the current rate of deterioration. I guess any highly specialised design at a cheap price has to make some compromises, you get what you pay for. Next time, I am going to buy something like a Weber, twice the price but built to last, which this ain't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 29 May 2009
Annabel Parkin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hotspot Notebook Portable BBQ (Garden & Outdoors)
excellent product - great for quick family BBQ. Use largish charcoal bricks with it as the smallpieces fall through the holes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, sleek, efficient, 10 Oct 2008
I took one of these camping last June. It folded up so thin it could lie on the floor of the car boot taking up practically zero space. On site it was up in about twenty seconds, fill it up with quicklighting charcoal, drop a match in, sit back and open a beer. In 5 mins I was cooking pasta in a big pan and in 20 I was grilling steak. It was brilliant and simple and ideal for a no-fires camping ground as it kept the heat off the grass. I have to admit I broke one bar of the grill by poking it too hard when it was hot and brittle. Also after a week of using the unit as a bbq at the start of the evening and bonfire the rest of the night it was looking a bit grey and warped. But I was delighted I'd brought it and was sorry when I had to leave it behind (my mate lumbered me with his son's suitcase! Tchoh!)

4.0 out of 5 stars great bbq, 20 July 2010
This review is from: Hotspot Notebook Portable BBQ (Garden & Outdoors)
This is such a great design, it folds up to nothing so is perfect for camping. It has a tray for the coals to sit on so there is plenty of room for air to circulate underneath. This space also catches all the falling ash so it keeps the ground completely clean. My only concern is that after many uses the construction won't hold up as some of the joints look a little weak and the grill a bit warped but we've used it as a barbecue and as a fire and so far it's great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Notebook BBQ, 8 Jan 2010
This review is from: Hotspot Notebook Portable BBQ (Garden & Outdoors)
Very pleased with this BBQ. Can't believe how small it packs down. Well packaged for posting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable BBQ, 15 July 2009
Su (Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hotspot Notebook Portable BBQ (Garden & Outdoors)
We love this bbq - once we worked out where to put the coals, it was really easy to use, has a large cooking area and is simple to clean. It folds away as new when cool. Great buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Portable BBQ, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: Hotspot Notebook Portable BBQ (Garden & Outdoors)
For the price, I suppose you cannot complain. However, do not expect to get long use from this item. The BBQ distorted after its first use which rather defeats the object of its fold flat design and began to rust quite quickly. It served its purpose for the holiday but was only fit to be thrown away by the end. So if you want something to use for a couple of weeks that's fine, but if you are looking for something that will last this is not for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be very wary of using this BBQ!, 13 May 2008
I purchased this BBq for a number of reasons. I wanted it mainly for doing family Bbq's at home but, I liked the fact that I could use it for picnics/holidays and also thought it'd be really easy to store! First impressions were mixed. It was easy enough to assemble BUT the metal side 'flaps' kept swinging inwards so you HAD to put the grill bit in place to keep the Bbq open. I quickly realised that this would make lighting it a bit tricky. Other than that was impressed with the overall size & was eager to try it out. It certainly was fiddly to get it started and was starting to bug me as one of the side bits kept swinging in as I was putting the coals in & trying to light it. Once lit, all seemed to be going well & after a while I started loading the food on. HOWEVER, at this point I realised flames were coming out of one of the cooking SIDES of the Bbq!! I was using the Bbq on a table and had I been stood round the other side I could easily have been set alight! I abandoned everything & put it all out (much to the disappointment of my family who were now geared up for it) & took it back the next day. Am unsure whether the particular one I had was faulty ot whether there is a serious design flaw. Would be interested to see how other people get on with theirs but if you have purchased one recently please be careful. On a plus side it folded away really easy for me to return it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 22 Jun 2010
This review is from: Hotspot Notebook Portable BBQ (Garden & Outdoors)
The barbecue was delivered almost straight away - it arrived about two days after I ordered it which was brilliant. Easy to use and easy to clean afterwards, although you have to let it cool down. If you're going to take it out to use, make sure to take something to put the ashes into, because you can't fold them up along with the barbie and you wouldn't want to just leave all the mess out in your chosen beauty spot.

Hotspot Notebook Portable BBQ